Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport for a rescue horse

• 19-07-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have been trying to get transport sorted to get a rescue horse from Kerry to Dublin to his new home after being neglected and left in a dire state. Without a B+E licence I cant hire a jeep & trailer and for any of the transport companies to go collect him on my behalf is crazy money - does anybody have any alternative suggestions? I'm drawing a blank now at this stage :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Hi op have you contacted the irish horse welfare trust? they might be able to help. Wish i knew someone down there who could defo help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 oh_be_the_hokey

JillyQ wrote: »
    Hi op have you contacted the irish horse welfare trust? they might be able to help. Wish i knew someone down there who could defo help you.

Some rescues are reluctant to help others tbh, which is a tad disheartening, so not sure if Irish Horse Welfare Trust would be forthcoming but s'pose could give it a try?!
    Ideally I'd love a lend of a 3.5t lorry for a day (i have my own comm insurance), ideal world eh! Lol!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

I'd say you'd need to look at a transport company and pay for your horse to be transported, unless you happened to come across someone who was driving from Kerry to Dublin with an empty or half empty box, and was willing to take someone else's horse in their box, forgetting about insurance, etc.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but did you not think about this before you agreed to take the horse? If you're having problems affording the cost of transporting the horse, will you have problems keeping it? When you take into consideration the time it will take you to drive up and down the country to collect the horse, pay for fuel, hiring a lorry (you mention you have your own insurance for this), it would probably be cheaper to actually pay a transporter to do it for you as don't forget your time is worth money, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Maybe have a look and see what big shows are on in Kerry and post on the shows Facebook page, maybe someone is going with half a load and might be able to help with the journey back to Dublin

convert wrote: »
    I'd say you'd need to look at a transport company and pay for your horse to be transported, unless you happened to come across someone who was driving from Kerry to Dublin with an empty or half empty box, and was willing to take someone else's horse in their box, forgetting about insurance, etc.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but did you not think about this before you agreed to take the horse? If you're having problems affording the cost of transporting the horse, will you have problems keeping it? When you take into consideration the time it will take you to drive up and down the country to collect the horse, pay for fuel, hiring a lorry (you mention you have your own insurance for this), it would probably be cheaper to actually pay a transporter to do it for you as don't forget your time is worth money, too.

I had transport in place but was let down & to add to it, the rescue that he is coming from, their jeep is currently on the blink. I envisage getting a 4x4 next year but it is not possible at this time. Im fully aware & prepared for the costs involved of owning and caring for a horse but this just happens to be a series of unfortunate events. I am not alone in not having my own transport but owning an equine. Surely not having close to €700 at the drop of a hat, just for a transport company to go get him asap so I dont lose my stable, doesn't write me off as a good and responsible owner does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Surely thats not the price to transport a horse from kerry to Dublin 700euro ?
    Shop around there are lots of companies out there

Would the rescue not hang onto him until they get their transport sorted. Then cone to sn arrangement with u ?

monflat wrote: »
    Surely thats not the price to transport a horse from kerry to Dublin 700euro ?
    Shop around there are lots of companies out there

Would the rescue not hang onto him until they get their transport sorted. Then cone to sn arrangement with u ?

The rescue can hang on to him no problem but its the livery yard I dont want to mess around any longer. They've kept a place for me for nearly two months already and have potentially been turning away business as it is :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

thats a tricky one. is there anyone at the livery yard that would be prepared to go with you to collect the horse - you could pay for diesel, plus a bit for their time, and for lunch/food en route etc? you can but ask - there might be someone there with time on their hands, and be glad to get the horse to the yard so they can start getting the livery fees from you?
    Good luck!

I have told them of my difficulty with transport - hence the delay, so I'm assuming they're not in a position to help, otherwise they'd have been forthcoming with an offer :confused:
    I might try putting a notice up on their fb page - one of the other liveries might oblige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

OP – you may be exaggerating to illustrate a point as opposed to blatantly lying but I don’t believe for one minute that you were quoted €700 for a run from Kerry to Dublin.

In general there is a passive aggressive quality to your posts which is not good IMO.

You say if the yard could help they would (not might) have been forthcoming with an offer to drive to Kerry and back for you??? That statement assumes a lot – as if they have an obligation to you?

After 2 months of this, have you considered the possibility that they are making a conscious decision not to nursemaid you.

Putting up a notice on the yards facebook page in the hope that total strangers might oblige – so if you get no responses wont that colour your attitude to the people in the yard going forward?

The best constructive advice for you is to put up a wanted ad on done deal looking for transport for €(whatever you can afford) or nearest high offer. You will have to pay someone for this service. Forget messaging strangers on facebook or hoping someone on here will lend you a 3.5 tonne lorry. And btw there is no real need to mention that this is a rescue case in a dire state either – that immediately gives the impression that there is a charitable aspect to your role in this matter which could put a lot of people off getting involved.

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    OP – you may be exaggerating to illustrate a point as opposed to blatantly lying but I don’t believe for one minute that you were quoted €700 for a run from Kerry to Dublin.

In general there is a passive aggressive quality to your posts which is not good IMO.

You say if the yard could help they would (not might) have been forthcoming with an offer to drive to Kerry and back for you??? That statement assumes a lot – as if they have an obligation to you?

After 2 months of this, have you considered the possibility that they are making a conscious decision not to nursemaid you.

Putting up a notice on the yards facebook page in the hope that total strangers might oblige – so if you get no responses wont that colour your attitude to the people in the yard going forward?

The best constructive advice for you is to put up a wanted ad on done deal looking for transport for €(whatever you can afford) or nearest high offer. You will have to pay someone for this service. Forget messaging strangers on facebook or hoping someone on here will lend you a 3.5 tonne lorry. And btw there is no real need to mention that this is a rescue case in a dire state either – that immediately gives the impression that there is a charitable aspect to your role in this matter which could put a lot of people off getting involved.

Maybe being so involved in rescue and the fact that I rely quite heavily on the good nature of others, is why I see nothing wrong with my request. I don't sit mulling about things not getting done as I'm not afraid to ask! And to imply that I expect somebody to come foward is outlandish - I'm well aware there are no obligations on the livery yard's behalf toward me. In fact I'm trying to sort this asap purely as I don't want to take the p*ss any longer - they've been more than accommodating thusfar. You seem quite offended at this and I won't apologise for how people interpret what I say. I will say this though, if my posts seem passive aggressive - that is certainly not my intent. I really am asking genuine questions and looking for other people's suggestions. I really honestly don't know what I have done to upset anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Maybe being so involved in rescue and the fact that I rely quite heavily on the good nature of others, is why I see nothing wrong with my request. I don't sit mulling about things not getting done as I'm not afraid to ask! And to imply that I expect somebody to come foward is outlandish - I'm well aware there are no obligations on the livery yard's behalf toward me. In fact I'm trying to sort this asap purely as I don't want to take the p*ss any longer - they've been more than accommodating thusfar. You seem quite offended at this and I won't apologise for how people interpret what I say. I will say this though, if my posts seem passive aggressive - that is certainly not my intent. I really am asking genuine questions and looking for other people's suggestions. I really honestly don't know what I have done to upset anyone.

There is nothing passive aggressive with that post. What I do find quite aggressive is that face that is it insinuated OP doens't have the means to suport the horse. As in regards to the transport quote - that is a fairly normal price, as it will take a full day with pick up and return.Fuel will be about 150 euro alone, keep that in mind.

The good nature of others should not extend to doing round trips to Kerry for you!

And what is the corollary of that thinking anyway - people who fail to help you are not appropriately caring?

I am not offended at all. I do think you are looking for a freebie without being upfront about it and playing on the rescue horse sympathy angle. I think people will see through that and you would be far better off looking for a solution which involves you making some sort of payment to somebody.

The good nature of others should not extend to doing round trips to Kerry for you!

And what is the corollary of that thinking anyway - people who fail to help you are not appropriately caring?

I am not offended at all. I do think you are looking for a freebie without being upfront about it and playing on the rescue horse sympathy angle. I think people will see through that and you would be far better off looking for a solution which involves you making some sort of payment to somebody.

May I suggest to stay on topic and not question the motivation of OP? Because if I was the OP I would find your implications quite offending.

doubter wrote: »
    May I suggest to stay on topic and not question the motivation of OP? Because if I was the OP I would find your implications quite offending.

Unlike you I am ADVISING the OP which is the point of the thread - show willingness to put the hand in the pocket.

The OP needs to get real. The last thing s/he needs is hugs from posters on here.

I don't see any advise in iomplementing OP is looking for a freebie.Unles you know the full situation, that is way out of line.

doubter wrote: »
    I don't see any advise in iomplementing OP is looking for a freebie.Unles you know the full situation, that is way out of line.

Read the thread - see done deal ad advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

If anyone has problems with posts in this thread can you please report them rather than engaging in back seat moderation. Thanks.

If posters have any questions about anything, please PM me or Borderfox rather than replying on thread.

C

Read the thread - see done deal ad advice

Ok I need to set the record straight which maybe I should have done to begin with - I'm not looking for a total freebie!! Fuel costs will be paid of course but I don't have funds to pay a transport company that charges for time as well as funds. I'm looking for someone to give their time in exchange for travel costs. I apologise for any confusion this has caused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

It can cost 300 euro to transport a horse to UK so I think you have been quoted a very high figure. Perhaps phone around some companies and see if you can do better.

Also if this horse is for you it is very misleading to use the word "rescue" It would be easy to deduce that the beneficiary of any charity is mainly yourself. If you're taking on a horse, you have to be prepared to pay for them especially when you won't have to fork out purchase price in this case.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    It can cost 300 euro to transport a horse to UK so I think you have been quoted a very high figure. Perhaps phone around some companies and see if you can do better.

Also if this horse is for you it is very misleading to use the word "rescue" It would be easy to deduce that the beneficiary of any charity is mainly yourself. If you're taking on a horse, you have to be prepared to pay for them especially when you won't have to fork out purchase price in this case.

Wow, I didn't envisage such a negative response purely for asking for suggestions to an issue I'm having. I'm sorry if I haven't been crystal clear on the finer details of this or if people have a different take on the situation, but eitherway my eyes have well & truly been opened and I'll refrain from asking for advice in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wow, I didn't envisage such a negative response purely for asking for suggestions to an issue I'm having. I'm sorry if I haven't been crystal clear on the finer details of this or if people have a different take on the situation, but eitherway my eyes have well & truly been opened and I'll refrain from asking for advice in future.

I made a suggestion. I.e. Shop around and get a better quote. You could also put an ad on donedeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

If you check donedeal you'll find a company called Equiport, not sure if they'll travel to Kerry but no harm asking. I've no idea how much they'd charge. They also rent a horse box for about €50, so perhaps you can find somebody will to tow it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Hi OP. I think you can drive the Equi-trek type of horsebox on a car licence (at least that what it says on their website, though it is a UK site). Don't know if you can hire in Ireland but no harm giving them a call.

my eyes have well & truly been opened and I'll refrain from asking for advice in future.

Passive aggressive as called earlier

Advertisement