Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnt taste from evod even after replacing coil

Options
  • 20-07-2013 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

I got my evod and ego-c twist starter pack a week ago and the last few days I've been getting a burnt taste on both evods. I bought new coil screw ins and fitted them today but I'm still getting that burnt taste.

I tried the lowest setting on the ego-c but it still tastes burnt, aswell as different e-liquids. Anyone have any idea why I'm getting this burnt taste?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

After washing it out for a good while and changing to a fresh bottle of e-liquid the burnt taste seems to have gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

What liquid were you using? Could be a juice that requires steeping. I've experienced this with evods too. They can be finicky things. WIth a fresh coil you need to swirl it about a bit, leave it for a few minutes to soak up some juice, then 'prime' the wicks [pull hard on it a few times, without inhaling, to pull some juice up the wick, get it flowing] - should do the trick. Also keep an eye on the ohm of the coil you're using. The lower the ohm, the lower the voltage you want to be at. A 1.8 ohm coil say, you'll want no more than 3.7 - 4 volts. Whereas you can crank it up to 4.2 - 4.8 depending, with a 2.4 - 2.8 ohm coil.

Haven't tried steeping, I tried priming the new coils but I'm still getting a burning taste on random drags, this is really getting me down. I thought the liquid should be grand to go from the off, by steeping you mean leaving off the caps and putting them in a cold area for a day or so? I've tried shaking the bottle etc but to no avail. Even on the lowest voltage the burning taste is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

nuxxx wrote: »
    I got my evod and ego-c twist starter pack a week ago and the last few days I've been getting a burnt taste on both evods. I bought new coil screw ins and fitted them today but I'm still getting that burnt taste.

I tried the lowest setting on the ego-c but it still tastes burnt, aswell as different e-liquids. Anyone have any idea why I'm getting this burnt taste?

Where did you get a twist kit with evods???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

nuxxx wrote: »

I had the same problem as this and just replaced the whole thing,these evods are great though,the amount of pain I had with the normal kanger type tanks in past was unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

redkid wrote: »
    Where did you get a twist kit with evods???

ESI sell them with the evods now.

Got it from e-smoke ireland

Anyone recommend something else instead of the evod?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Have you tried that trick with removing the top wick or two that"re laying across the top of the eVod heads?
    Your wick might not be keeping pace with you if the juice is too thick, and a lot of people have said removing those wicks helped a ton.

i`ll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Agree with Grindle.

If you're getting a burnt taste the juice is not wicking fast enough, so removing extra wicks will reduce the time juice takes to get to the base wick.

If you're getting gurgling then try adding extra wicks on top of the base wick.

Nuxxx I'm using the Kanger Protank Mini. So far having zero problems with it. Also the Mini Vivi Nova is good. The former is a sexy looking bottom coil device with high build quality and the latter is a good old reliable top coil device.

• Advertisement

Removed the top wick and hey presto, no burnt taste at all, thanks alot lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

Sorry if this is a little late on the matter but here's a few handy tips on the burnt taste in evods:

1. It really depends what liquid you're vaping. More specifically, it matters if it's VG, PG or a mix between the two (Vegetable Glycerin, Propylene Glycol).
    Now, since VG is more thick than PG, it means that you have to fiddle a little bit with the top wick. In other words PG requires more wick (since it's more watery it's easier to wick and then drip from the atomizer to the battery) and VG requires less. I find that using a 2mm silica wick on top and removing 1/4 or even 1/3 from it does the trick with VG liquid. More than that and the evod starts to leak on the battery.

2. I have a spare iMist battery and I found that twisting the evod all the way causes too much pressure/air lock. So I always leave it untwisted until the point where I feel there's enough air coming through. You'll know pretty soon how much it takes. Even on the battery that came with the evod I don't twist it all the way.

3. Make sure that you store your ecig where there's no dust/pocket dirt because it's easy to get it into the atomizer through the mouth piece and that causes burning issues in the atty.

I started making me own wicks which is really handy, all you need is a roll of kanthal and a roll of wick which are dirt cheap and can be found online. There are loads of videos on youtube on how to do it and loads of handy tips. If you want to know a few tricks that make sure it'll work grand, just PM me.

Advertisement