Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing food and drink to US

Options
  • 20-07-2013 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

So I'm going over in a couple of weeks to visit some friends from here and I want to bring them over a few tthins that they can't get there: moro bars and tayto crisps were on the list.

Also planning on bringing a bottle of Poitín from the Celtic whiskey shop.

What's are the rules for bringing over those kind of of items?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The crisps and choccie will be fine. Put the booze in your checked in bag. If you put it in your carry on hand luggage, it won't make it past the airport security check point. You can't bring any bottles/containers that hold more than 100ml of liquid in your hand luggage. If you rock up to security with a bottle of booze that is over the limit, you'll be told to drink it on the spot ( :p ) or toss it in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I used to deep freeze sausages and bring them over in zip locks. Never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I used to deep freeze sausages and bring them over in zip locks. Never a problem.

You declared them when asked if you were carrying any food items and they let you bring them with you onto the flight?

I can't imagine them allowing any meat products into the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

This is something you should declare. If you had declared it, it wold have been tossed. I did unknowing that saussies rashers were not allow, bring it through and declare it and they were thrown out. They said canned meats are only allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The crisps and choccie will be fine. Put the booze in your checked in bag. If you put it in your carry on hand luggage, it won't make it past the airport security check point. You can't bring any bottles/containers that hold more than 100ml of liquid in your hand luggage. If you rock up to security with a bottle of booze that is over the limit, you'll be told to drink it on the spot ( :p ) or toss it in the bin.

If your lucky!My husband bought some wine on a stopover in Orlando (the small individual size) anyway we were having food somewhere I wasn't in the humor for the wine and told him to leave it there. Anyway while I was using the toilet he put it in my hand luggage. We went through and he forgot it was there! I was mortified when TSA scanned the luggage and took it out of the bag!!! I was so embarrassed and so was my 15 & 12 year old. Anyway there was no offer to let me drink it, not that I would have!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Ah Jasus Claire. That's not fair, you've got me salivating now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Ah Jasus Claire. That's not fair, you've got me salivating now!

My friends mammy filled an entire suitcase with them and bring the over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

What's are the rules for bringing over those kind of of items?

Generally speaking, if the food has been cooked, you are okay. Nothing uncooked is allowed in. I have seen them confiscate apples and oranges.

I forget what the limit is on alcohol. I just went through the other day and they asked how many bottles I had, I said two, and they did not bother me at all.

First, see if what you want to bring is in Duty Free. Second, see if it is cheaper in the States.

A bottle of Jameson Gold Reserve was €56 and can be bought in the states for about $10.00 more, so why bother carrying it?

Just know you're prices. They were selling 2003 Dom Perignon for a price that I could actually find cheaper in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

FISMA wrote: »
    Generally speaking, if the food has been cooked, you are okay. Nothing uncooked is allowed in. I have seen them confiscate apples and oranges.

Not true, I was told by border control the only way to bring any meat in, is in a can. No fresh produce (veg) or even food from the plane!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Not true, I was told by border control the only way to bring any meat in, is in a can. No fresh produce (veg) or even food from the plane!

As per US Customs and Border Protection.

"The importation of fresh, dried or canned meats or meat products is generally not allowed from most foreign countries into the United States. This includes products that have been prepared with meat."

Advertisement