Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Laptop - Crap WiFi range

• 20-07-2013 4:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm just after buying a new laptop with Windows 8 (ASUS K55a) and it seems to be running perfectly apart from the fact that the wifi is fairly bad on it.

For example, the router is located in the main living room but I can only get 1-2 bars (But no internet access) when in the bedroom with the laptop. My 4 year old acer on the other hand picks up full signal and also picks up some of the neighbours connections when in the same bedroom.

This is really frustration considering it's an okay mid range laptop (i5, 6gb etc).

The router is a fairly old Belkin g router used with a UPC connection.

Any boardsies have any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

ciano1 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm just after buying a new laptop with Windows 8 (ASUS K55a) and it seems to be running perfectly apart from the fact that the wifi is fairly bad on it.

For example, the router is located in the main living room but I can only get 1-2 bars (But no internet access) when in the bedroom with the laptop. My 4 year old acer on the other hand picks up full signal and also picks up some of the neighbours connections when in the same bedroom.

This is really frustration considering it's an okay mid range laptop (i5, 6gb etc).

The router is a fairly old Belkin g router used with a UPC connection.

Any boardsies have any advice?

It could be one of 2 things, you may need to do an update for the WiFi card driver. Failing that, it may be an incompatibility between the laptop & the old router & you may have to replace it with an N router.
    Perhaps take your new laptop to a friends house or somewhere you know there's a newer router to try & see how it works before having to buy a new unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Lelantos wrote: »
    It could be one of 2 things, you may need to do an update for the WiFi card driver. Failing that, it may be an incompatibility between the laptop & the old router & you may have to replace it with an N router.
    Perhaps take your new laptop to a friends house or somewhere you know there's a newer router to try & see how it works before having to buy a new unit

I tried updating the driver for the Wifi card, no luck.

The fact that it can't pick up all the same wireless connections (Neighbours etc) that my old laptop and phone easily pick up suggests it's not the the modem at fault.

I'm currently sitting in the same room as the router right now (~ 6ft away) and it's alternating between having 4 bars and full signal. I should easily be getting a full WiFi signal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

The fact that it can't pick up all the same wireless connections (Neighbours etc) that my old laptop and phone easily pick up suggests it's not the the modem at fault.

I'm currently sitting in the same room as the router right now (~ 6ft away) and it's alternating between having 4 bars and full signal. I should easily be getting a full WiFi signal!

Unfortunately, you are correct. If you had a dongle you could pop into the usb port and definitely prove it's the card & not a motherboard issue. But I think you will have to bring it back to base & let the seller look after it. Not an Argos product is it?

Lelantos wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you are correct. If you had a dongle you could pop into the usb port and definitely prove it's the card & not a motherboard issue. But I think you will have to bring it back to base & let the seller look after it. Not an Argos product is it?

Bought on saveonlaptops.co.uk unfortunately..

Have one of these ordered: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811UN-150Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374343990&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+usb

Might just use this for the time being. Not really arsed dealing with call centres or customer care atm! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭BigProblem

how do you update the driver for the wifi card? im also having problems with wifi connection once I move away from modem into bedroom, just a problem with this laptop..

• Advertisement

BigProblem wrote: »
    how do you update the driver for the wifi card? im also having problems with wifi connection once I move away from modem into bedroom, just a problem with this laptop..

Go into device manager, find the wireless card and hit update driver.

Another question.. The wireless cards are dirt cheap to buy online, does anyone know if replacing it myself would void the warranty on the laptop? It seems to be a very easily accessible part and wouldn't involve playing with the motherboard etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

don't know what saveonlaptops warranty rules are.

Most brands, removing screws for anything is enough to "void warranty" (depending on whether they noticed or not)...oh except, RAM, Harddrive and battery.
    You may want to contact the seller and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭BigProblem

Go into device manager, find the wireless card and hit update driver.

Another question.. The wireless cards are dirt cheap to buy online, does anyone know if replacing it myself would void the warranty on the laptop? It seems to be a very easily accessible part and wouldn't involve playing with the motherboard etc.

sorry but stupid question im in device manager - how do I find the wireless card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^
    network adapters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Use google and youtube, there is walkthroughs for everything these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^
    Or you could just ask someone on the forum, don't be afraid to ask, there are no stupid questions!

Fixed! :D

Decided to take off the bottom panel of the laptop and took a look at the Wifi card.
    Turns out the laptop shipped with one of the antenna cables disconnected which was causing the crap signal. Popped it in and it works perfectly now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

this is happening far too often, seen it twice today alone.

only have seen it with HP's, though.

Advertisement