Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying up 36 hours

• 20-07-2013 8:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Yeah so the sun is beaming in the window now no hope of getting back asleep at this stage so throw me some tips for staying awake. E.g. Which type of coffee what foods etc.

Also I have a party later and im fearful the alcohol will put me instantly asleep after being up so long haha. Should I be worried?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Aspiring wrote: »
    Which type of coffee
    When the spoon stands upright in the middle of your cup on its own, without touching the sides, you know that the coffee is thick enough to keep you awake. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Black Swan wrote: »
    When the spoon stands upright in the middle of your cup on its own, without touching the sides, you know that the coffee is thick enough to keep you awake. :D

Solid advice methinks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When pulling all nighters at work or cramming for exams, I would load up on java, tea, hot chocolate, caffeine pop, and catch a second wind in the wee hours with a 3AM breakfast. But I would avoid eating too much at one time, or I would crawl up someplace in the shade and go to sleep like one of those huge anaconda snakes after eating an entire pig, sleeping for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I dont think it'll be that difficult because I'm not tired yet usually by now my eyes are falling out of my head. I always get aching eyes when staying up ages even if im not tired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Aspiring wrote: »
    I dont think it'll be that difficult because I'm not tired yet usually by now my eyes are falling out of my head. I always get aching eyes when staying up ages even if im not tired!
    Not too much coffee though. 1 or 2 will be enough this morning. Any more and the diuretic effects of caffeine will kick in, you could get slightly dehydrated & feel miserable & sleepy

• Advertisement

Pints of water and large mugs of tea. Three pints, then the tea.

That regime got me through about 60 hours once. It wasn't fun and I was wrecked afterward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Rocked some 72hour adventures for certain masters deadlines last year.

Don't nap unless you're well practiced at bouncing back from power naps. I'm terrible at it, I have to go straight through. I know others can do a Leonardo and nap for 15 mins and be ninja fresh.
    Keep eating food. You need energy to keep your body functioning. As Kote says, tea is your winner. Coffee is too much of a blast to the system, followed by a crash. Crash bad. Plateau good. Avoid listening to music you know, the rhythm is going to make you prone to sleep. Silence and work is the ultimate way of it, but some ****e TV in the background is also good... but avoid a sofa at all costs. If you're staying up to get work done, write lists like a mofo, because you need to keep focus on such things. Walk around a bit. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming swimming :)

Well, those are my methods anyhows, though I think I burnt them out that year. Suddenly feeling mortal these days.

Advertisement