Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read/unread threads not behaving

Options
  • 20-07-2013 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Not 100%,
    From my Forums list
    Some threads I've never looked are not in bold, some remain in bold even after looking at them. Oldest thread in list is from 18th July

I'm not sure what the criteria is for thread titles to be bold or not?
    Does last post have to be read? Or just any part of thread? to change from bold to unbold.

Mac 10.6.8, FF22.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,343 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Same here since Thursday. Even this one shows that I have read it even though I hadn't till now. Seems to be happening with anything over a day old.
    Using Touch on a Galaxy Y on Opera at the moment if that's any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Me too MacBook safari

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Same for me since Thursday also

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Me too using Dolphin on Android. Phone and tablet both having the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Same here:

263636.PNG

The circled ones should be bold as I have read the latest posts in them.

It seems to be threads I've never read that aren't bold.

Chrome, Win 7 64.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Same here:

263636.PNG

The circled ones should be bold as I have read the latest posts in them.

It seems to be threads I've never read that aren't bold.

Chrome, Win 7 64.

Can you give that explanation another try for me? The circled ones, have you ever read them? If not they should be bold. If you have read them but not viewed the thread since before the last post was made they should also be bold.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It seems that threads I've never read get default to not bold, either after a length of time or after leaving site.

Threads that I have previously read stay bold if I have not gone back to them.

The rest seems to be having this morning.
    I read a thread to last page and it became unbold.

I read a thread but not last page and it remained bold. Clicking last unread icon brought me to first post on last page and then the thread title was not bold.

Mothman wrote: »
    It seems that threads I've never read get default to not bold, either after a length of time or after leaving site.
    Tried this just now and unread threads are still bold, I'll report when they change to unbold.

Just looked, everything on first page was bold, everything on 2nd and 3rd page unbold, except threads with unread posts that have previously been read.

Can you give that explanation another try for me? The circled ones, have you ever read them? If not they should be bold. If you have read them but not viewed the thread since before the last post was made they should also be bold.

Danny

The circled threads are threads I've never visited. So they should be bold but they're not.

The threads I've visited before, but that have new posts in them (for example the "Eye on the SU" thread) are bold, as they should be.

• Advertisement

Thanks, we'll get looking at this as soon as we can to figure out what's up. Can you check the forum those threads are in and tell me if they show up as bold?

Danny

Yeah, they're showing up as bold on the forum itself.

Mine seem to be working now on the "My forums" tab

Was on this morning and came back to see plenty of titles that should have been in bold.
    I can't find any pattern.

See screenshot. I've labeled threads that I've never read and one that I have viewed but not recently.

EDIT, its fine within the forums themselves. They are in bold.

Ya. On mobile site a couple of entire forums were marked unread last night even though I'd never been in them before eg parenting.

I need you folks to be a bit clearer if we're to track this down. I don't need to know what tabs you're on as it seems rather widespread, same goes for being on touch or the homepage - both of them use the same code. What I need are specifics :)

What thread is bold that shouldn't be (with link)?. When did you last read that thread or mark that forum read (if you recall). The same goes for forums.

Musicmental85 you're telling me the parenting forum is marked as bold and you've never been in it - surely that's expected then since you've never been there?

Danny

I'll try explain this a bit more.

Two screenshots, one is the My Forums tab, the other is the UL Forum (just the easiest example I can give).

UL Forum
    264093.JPG

My Forums
    264094.JPG
    • The Where do you live thread: I viewed that yesterday, it has new posts that I haven't reead. It's bold in both the forum and on the homepage.
    • The Accommodation for Repeat Exams thread: Viewed yesterday, has new posts, bold in both.
    • The 1st Semester Room thread: I've never read this thread. So it should be bold in both, but it's only bold in the forum.
    • The Judo/BJJ thread: Have never read it, should be be bold in both, only bold in the forum.
    • The Orientation Guide thread: Have never read it, should be bold in both, only bold in forum.
    • All the other threads (C&H and UL) are threads I have read before but don't have new posts.

Don't have time at minute for specific thread links.

But 4 screenshots
    My forums on left and the actual forums on right.
    Gardening
    Nature & Birdwatching
    Wicklow
    Sustainability and Environmental issues

Of all the threads that show differences, the only thread that I've read before is the some pics I took recently
    This should be bold because there are unread posts

Also the post counts differ :confused: (I know they should differ by one)

Hadn't noticed this. Are deleted posts counted in the new post count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

It's happening for me as well the last few days, I'm using Dolphin browser on Galaxy S.

If I go into a forum, threads I've read earlier that have new posts since are showing up bold (as they should be.) But, the threads that I've never read before are not bolded.

Picked a random forum Ive never been in - Astronomy and space. All the threads are showing as read!

I'm on an iPhone 4S running iOS6 latest version

• Advertisement

And here's a forum I do visit regularly-weather. The first three are correctly bold as I have visited them before but they have new posts.

I haven't visited the last ones but they aren't bold.

A new thread was started in UL just there (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057000229) and it showed up as bold in the My Forums tab as it should.

Excellent, I've been able to reproduce some of these issues and believe it related to the same issue. I've put in a fix for it, should be deployed this afternoon or early tomorrow.

Thanks,

Danny

Thanks

The fix has been deployed, please let us know if there are any more issues.

Danny

Looks better on my end

Yes, perfect across the 3 pages :)
    Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Back perfect, cheers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement