Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord issues

Options
  • 20-07-2013 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all
    In brief, renting 5 years with current landlord, good enough relationship. Last month the electricity started knocking off, we would flip the fuse at first thinking old house probably nothing. Arrived home from work one day to water pouring from sitting room ceiling. Turned off the water called landlord and brought children to my mothers.

Landlord refused to get electrics checked (main fuse box a metre from leak) and i refused to bring my two small children back to a house that could be unsafe. After 5 years of tenancy he texts to say dont go back find somewhere else. No notice period given. I havent been back, living at home, family split up coz we cant all fit in my parents.
    Some arrears from 2 years back which i was chipping away at now being demanded. No reference, finally found new house but scared will lose ut due to ni reference. Landlord relationship was good but now he tells us he's broke and fixes nothing in the house.

Over the years we painted the whole house twice and blinds fitted at our expense. Need to get my family back together under one roof, afraid he will mess this up for us. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Reference shouldnt be an issue; tell the guy that you are willing to vacate immediately if the arrears are written off and he gives you a good reference. If he cant afford to/wont fix the problems then its win win on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭murphydublin

djimi wrote: »
    Reference shouldnt be an issue; tell the guy that you are willing to vacate immediately if the arrears are written off and he gives you a good reference. If he cant afford to/wont fix the problems then its win win on both sides.

Its taken until now for us to find somewhere and will b emptying house this week, told landlord i wont b paying for july as have not slept there since the end june. Not answering my emails or calls do i risk using an old reference from previous landlord for new tenancy

If you cant get in contact with him then there probably isnt much that you can do. Im not sure how much use an old reference would be considering that it would be 5 years old. Maybe a reference from your employer would be more beneficial.

If you cant get in contact with him then there probably isnt much that you can do. Im not sure how much use an old reference would be considering that it would be 5 years old. Maybe a reference from your employer would be more beneficial.
    Would you as a new landlord be suspicious of lack of reference? Would like to avoid goin into the whole saga with new landlord

With landlord not giving us notice - 144 days according to threshold - does that leave the law on my side??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Would you as a new landlord be suspicious of lack of reference? Would like to avoid goin into the whole saga with new landlord
    Yes I would, you need to get a reference sorted. Are you owed a deposit back, is your deposit more than your arrears?
    I would contact threshold if I were you. The Landlord did not give you proper notice, but it's complicated by the fact the electrics were nit fit for purpose and he has no intention of fixing them.

Deposit 500 arrears 1100, he can have deposit but dont have the remainder to give anymore than i had it while living there but happy to set up payment plan. This has been a nightmare month and not my fault!

Also painting blinds and paid electrician twice over the years, can i ask this to be put off arrears?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Take out the blinds and any other improvements you made even if it means putting them in a skip. Sounds like a slum landlord. I have never seen your property or landlord. Just find it shocking that he was of no help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

TBH a landlord could write a glowing reference for a scumbag they wanted rid of or refuse to write a reference at all for a decent tenant they don't want to lose. If you are totally up front with your story, a decent landlord won't have a problem with no reference. The hard part will be finding the decent landlord who has a house that suits you.

On the devils advocate side, many landlords today are totally strapped for cash and he might be unable to make the repairs. I've been there myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If a house is being let by an agent they are more likely to look for a reference as it would be one of their checks and balances.
    OP - the last 3 times I have moved house I wrote my own reference and then asked the landlord to sign it which they did in all cases. None of the references were ever followed up on by a phone call.
    I always dealt with LLs rather than agents though.

Cedrus wrote: »
    On the devils advocate side, many landlords today are totally strapped for cash and he might be unable to make the repairs. I've been there myself.

That's the nub. Being pragmatic about it, he might not have the few thousand it will take to rewire the place. The best outcome for you both is you come to a deal whereby you go quietly, and he writes off the arrears and gives you a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    If a house is being let by an agent they are more likely to look for a reference as it would be one of their checks and balances.
    OP - the last 3 times I have moved house I wrote my own reference and then asked the landlord to sign it which they did in all cases. None of the references were ever followed up on by a phone call.
    I always dealt with LLs rather than agents though.

This is true, agents have less freedom, the LL can be flexible in ways that an agent couldn't defend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Sorry to hear you were treated badly, as for your reference get a friend to be your reference, just make it up. My first time moving from parents house I did this, the agent contacted friend and he said I was ok. Dont sweat the little things

Thanks for the info new house is not thru an agent, have given deposit so will wait to see if he mentions references again, employer one is no problem

Hoping old landlord will reply to my emails and accept payment plan on arrears. Its such a stressful situation

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rigu

Hi ,

I have an issue with my landlord, last week I have asked to cut the grass at the front as it was getting very big, she sent someone to do it, but now text-ed to say that I have to pay for that,
    My query is am I responsible for that, and should I pay? or it is the landlords obligations , please advice, I'm paying 950 euro a month for a two bedroom house in crumlin, I cant afford paying for the gardener..
    thank you

Check your lease but Id be surprised if youre not responsible for it.

How big is the garden? Can you not just cut it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rigu

Check your lease but Id be surprised if youre not responsible for it.

How big is the garden? Can you not just cut it yourself?

is not big, is the grass at the front of the house... the problem is that I can't do it, no male living in the house...:)) and have no equipment..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

rigu wrote: »
    Hi ,

I have an issue with my landlord, last week I have asked to cut the grass at the front as it was getting very big, she sent someone to do it, but now text-ed to say that I have to pay for that,
    My query is am I responsible for that, and should I pay? or it is the landlords obligations , please advice, I'm paying 950 euro a month for a two bedroom house in crumlin, I cant afford paying for the gardener..
    thank you

If it's a house then under the residential tenancy act of 2004 you are obliged to maintain the house and grounds, including cutting the grass. A nice landlord should provide a lawnmower but are not obliged to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

no male living in the house...:)) and have no equipment..

Why do you need a male?
    You can rent equipment if needed or request from LL

• Advertisement

is not big, is the grass at the front of the house... the problem is that I can't do it, no male living in the house...:)) and have no equipment..

Women can mow lawns too.

Advertisement