Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harassment on Cruises Street/O'Connell Street

• 20-07-2013 9:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been repeatedlyharassed by religious solicitors in Cruises Street, and on O’Connell Street inthe two blocks surrounding Cruises Street.

I have repeatedly told these people I do not want them totalk to me and I do not want their literature, but they follow me and continueto talk to me and try to hand me things until I go into a shop or leave thearea.

This is not a problem I have had in Limerick with any othergroup. People collecting for charities ask once and then wait for the next person to come along. Buskers don't ask at all, and even panhandlers stand in one place, ask oncefor my attention, and then stop.

I have written to City Council to ask them to step in. What are my options to ensure this group stops theharassment, short of calling Garda to the scene (which seems a real waste ofGarda time)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Tell them you're a Satanist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to ignore them and pretend they are invisible. They want you to stop and talk even if it is to say "no thanks, I'm not interested". They are trained to improvise once they have your attention. Some of them will start raising their voices at you to try and embarrass you into talking to them so what I do is start raising my voice back at them stating "I have told you already I am not interested, please let me be." and keep walking away. You need to fight fire with fire with these people. They know most people are too polite to tell them piss off.

Other methods I've used that worked include answering them in some foreign type language and shrug your shoulders like you have no idea what they are saying as you don't speak English. Or if you see them coming pretend you are talking to someone on your mobile phone and walk straight past them.

Don't hold your breath on the council doing anything.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Muna bhfuil tú sásta do ghnó a dhéanamh trí Ghaeilge, nílim sásta labhairt leat!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I just show them my Scientology ID....they feck off pretty sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

If they're Christian, then slap them hard in the face and roar "NOW TURN THE OTHER CHEEK LIKE JESUS!" at them.

Then, of course, slap the other cheek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Carry a bottle of water with a squeezey type of top. When they follow just point bottle and squeeze. Personally i would go for the side step hard hip into them knocking them sideways and hopefully over but i am an evil bastard and therefore do not suggest others try this approach ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I find the best way to get rid of the Jehovah witness' when they pester you and finally ask why you are anti their brand of religion is to simply say i dont have much time for any religion that would let me bleed to death rather than have a blood transfusion, they usually stutter and p*** at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

kilburn wrote: »
    I find the best way to get rid of the Jehovah witness' when they pester you and finally ask why you are anti their brand of religion is to simply say i dont have much time for any religion that would let me bleed to death rather than have a blood transfusion, they usually stutter and p*** at that
    Or celebrate the day of my birth with a party!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Just ignore them for god's sake.(no pun intended).If that's your biggest gripe with life.Then boy,you have it easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭corklad12

Just walk straight forward and don't make eye contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

I'm pretty sure these are not JWs; not a Watchtower in sight, and in my experience, JWs knock once and then move on.

Whatever belief these people are claiming, it seems to be one that espouses obnoxious condescension and arrogance, not to mention the kind of tenacious hard sell that would get them a job in any call centre on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I've had this problem in the past but I can shut them down pretty fast. I can fairly ignorant and intimating when needs be. I've seen these people even pester the elderly in the street which really pushes my buttons and I've intervened a few times with thanks.

As with all the other posts here I agree, ignore, make no eye contact and walk on. Should they still pester you tell them to f**k off, short and sweet.

To be fair you should never tell anyone to f*** off on the street or try to intimidate anyone. Just ignore them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

from memory i think that group are born-again-christians but i could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

To be fair you should never tell anyone to f*** off on the street or try to intimidate anyone. Just ignore them

From your reaction I'll assume you've never been harassed by these people. Under normal circumstances I would most definitely agree with you but when they follow you, shouting and roaring I think f*** off is one of the nicer outcomes they can achieve.

Miike wrote: »
    From your reaction I'll assume you've never been harassed by these people. Under normal circumstances I would most definitely agree with you but when they follow you, shouting and roaring I think f*** off is one of the nicer outcomes they can achieve.

I have been a few times over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

tell them that you are too near the other side to be makig any enemys, i said that to a jehovahs woman one day, when they came to my dook, she got a fit of laughing and left still laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

seachto7 wrote: »
    Tell them you're a Satanist.

I did that one saturday
    But I said in in a really cheery voice

"i'm a satanist sorrryyyyy!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you write to the Superintendent's office in Henry Street informing them that your "progress has been impeded" by (identify people) they'll go down and have words.

Advertisement