Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swim hats and baldness

• 20-07-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I am completely bald. Shave my head every day. I swim most mornings in the same Gym for the last two years.

I used to wear a cap out of habit, but then noticed that I felt cooler (less hot) without it. After leaving it in my bag for a few weeks (it's a plastic hat) it kind of developed a rough texture, so I jsut stopped wearing it.

I got asked this morning to put a hat on when I was swimming. I asked what the rule was for, and they said "You know, hair and stuff" - I pointed out I had none - they said "It's the rules".

While I don't hugely mind wearing a hat, it's the stupidity of it that bothers me.

I would understand that hats are for

keeping hair out of the pool, it's filters, etc.
    keeping long hair out of peoples faces, limbs etc and thus avoiding accidents
    minimising contamination from sand, shampoo, other "hygiene" considerations that hair causes

erm - that's it.

Other than perhaps the pool managment ending up in arguments about degrees of baldness ("I'm mostly bald" "my hair is very short" "my hair is clean") is there any reason why a completely bald person should be asked to wear a cap?

I guess I gotta go buy one now, I just find it silly. Anyone experienced this or have an opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I am completely bald. Shave my head every day. I swim most mornings in the same Gym for the last two years.

I used to wear a cap out of habit, but then noticed that I felt cooler (less hot) without it. After leaving it in my bag for a few weeks (it's a plastic hat) it kind of developed a rough texture, so I jsut stopped wearing it.

I got asked this morning to put a hat on when I was swimming. I asked what the rule was for, and they said "You know, hair and stuff" - I pointed out I had none - they said "It's the rules".

While I don't hugely mind wearing a hat, it's the stupidity of it that bothers me.

I would understand that hats are for

keeping hair out of the pool, it's filters, etc.
    keeping long hair out of peoples faces, limbs etc and thus avoiding accidents
    minimising contamination from sand, shampoo, other "hygiene" considerations that hair causes

erm - that's it.

Other than perhaps the pool managment ending up in arguments about degrees of baldness ("I'm mostly bald" "my hair is very short" "my hair is clean") is there any reason why a completely bald person should be asked to wear a cap?

I guess I gotta go buy one now, I just find it silly. Anyone experienced this or have an opinion?

But it's the rules!

Ridiculous stance by whoever said that.I would call them up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

is there any reason why a completely bald person should be asked to wear a cap?

Cos you cant have one rule for one person and a different rule for everyone else.

Mind you, if its hair they are worried about perhaps we should all wear wet suits because there are plenty of hirsute individuals who use my local pool.

Beards are a free for all as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Cos you cant have one rule for one person and a different rule for everyone else.

I recognise the ease of this stance for them indeed - I guess my point is that you can! :) There is no magical rulebook in the sky that this position comes from. The rule could easily be "hair must be covered by a swimcap". The "rule" is there for a reason, and that reason doesn't apply to bald people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I agree with you 100% OP, its a stupid jobsworth rule. Being similarly blessed with a shiney domed skull, I've left pools where told I have to wear a cap- thankfully my local pool recognizes the futility of insisting on a cap for bald headed hairy-chesters.

Since so much reporting on baldness is about finding a "cure" for it as though it was an infliction, maybe tell them your rights are being infringed (groan!) under the Disabilities Act?;) Ultimately though, their pool, their rules, but I'd find another pool if management insisted on the letter rather than the spirit of the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I recognise the ease of this stance for them indeed - I guess my point is that you can! :) There is no magical rulebook in the sky that this position comes from. The rule could easily be "hair must be covered by a swimcap". The "rule" is there for a reason, and that reason doesn't apply to bald people.

In your situation I would grow a full ZZtop style beard and then arrive and put my swim hat on :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement