Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clueless about smartphones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

When I have friends ask about cheap Android phones I always tell them to look at this. You'll notice the Y in that list. Even though the article was posted last year its still relevant.

TBH, Billpay phones are almost always more profitable for phone companies i.e. more expensive for you. How much are you looking to spend a month and what do you want from your phone?

If Pay as you go and you want something cheap and cheerful then I'd suggest the Nokia Lumia 520 or the Huawei Y300 (from Meteor/Emobile) as they're both ~€100 and can be easily unlocked to use with Vodafone. You won't be getting the best features of a phone but you'll get a 4" screen, camera and a decent processor with both (bear in mind the Lumia is on Windows) and it'll give you the basics expected of a smartphone for a low price.

If Bill Pay, the best offer at the moment is a HTC One for €200 up front and 6 months at €55 a month from O2. It might seem expensive but when you view it as a 6-month €530 interest-free loan with unlimited free calls, text and 2gb internet with a HTC One that can be unlocked for free at the end of the contract it seems like a great deal (there's another thread here that shows how) and better than anything Vodafone will give you (Vodafone user here looking at swapping over btw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

If Bill Pay, the best offer at the moment is a HTC One for €200 up front and 6 months at €55 a month from O2.

Considering the OP is coming from Vodafone Pay as You Go - using the discount codes available from that thread the HTC One is really €159.99 plus 6 months at €55.

I ordered it myself yesterday OP after a horrendous experience with Vodafone.

By the way, if Vodafone are offering to put you on a bill with a free phone upgrade then its probably a 24 month contract. Do you really want to be locked to Vodafone for the next 24 months - if anything goes wrong that is outside the script their customer service wont help you - Ive just gone through it. Theres no way Id ever lock into a contract with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

If I remember correctly she was trying to push an Iphone 4, Lumia, HTC one and a Huawei. Said I would go look at them in the vodafone store and let her know next week when she rings back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Be sure to check about the 24 month contract.

Thanks for the tips i will look into the contract lenght

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Fwiw, I've just signed up to the o2 deal.

I'm about to leave Vodafone: they were offering the same phone for free but I had to pay €55 a month. For 2 years. I told a teller in my bank about the o2 offer earlier and her face dropped as it turned out she was on that vodafone plan.

I would suggest you play around with all of the phones they have suggested to get a feel for them though.

Just to update i have been into the store and had a look at a few phones.
    I am down to the Iphone 4 which would be free and paying 50 quid and getting a Galaxy S3. From reading other threads there does not seem to be much between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

kilburn wrote: »
    Hi folks, I am hoping some of you technology experts can help me out. I am a pay as you go customer and vodafone have offered to put me on a bill which would be cheaper and offered me a free upgrade phone. I can basically pick any of the free phones on the link which would be best.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Y and it is probably the worst phone i have ever had.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phonesAndPlans/phonesAndPlansHome.jsp?planAsFirstVariant=planAsFirstVariant&planType=onAccount&planFilter=onAccount&cart=cartOpen&subPage=phones&flowFrom=plan&planSkuId=sku91540001&_requestid=837654
    If they are calling you to try and get you to buy them they are probably all surplus stock i.e. not great. The phones they are doing on the 6 month rolling contract are a bit better at €30 pm - at least there is not long term commitment - curiously enough I cant find a link for that just now!

Advertisement