Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

staking kale?

• 20-07-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Is there ever a need for this? I am growing the Toscano variety (it has long dark leaves) .

Would it be enough to heel them in a bit ?(the soil is a bit light and the plants are getting a bit tall)

If I cut (harvest) the new leaves at the top will that make them bushier?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Yes they need staking. Unless there's a dwarf variety?? In general they are cut and come again so remove the leaves as you feel fit. Grow more than one so you don't take too much off one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

No I don't think there is a dwarf variety of the Toscano kale (that I have seen anyway).

What would happen if you just picked the tender shoots (for eating raw or conceivably for a superior leaf for cooking) ?

Would the plant struggle to keep replacing them ? Or would you just have to accept that the amount of leaves available for picking in this way would be less than if you also picked the larger leaves for cooking?

Advertisement