Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restrictor and cert for provisional licence

• 20-07-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I bought a Bonneville and I'm still on a provisional licence so I believe I need to restrict the power to 33BHP/25KW while I'm waiting to do the test.

I'm a bit confused on the best way to do this. Could I just buy something like this and take it to a mechanic to fit it and write me up a cert? Or is it not that simple?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

if you're over 24 you can exchange your permit for the unrestricted A permit, therefore no restriction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

serious3 wrote: »
    if you're over 24 you can exchange your permit for the unrestricted A permit, therefore no restriction!
    That would be great, how do I go about doing that? I'm currently on my 2nd provisional (expires Sept 2014) and I'm 27 by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

daveyjoe wrote: »
    That would be great, how do I go about doing that? I'm currently on my 2nd provisional (expires Sept 2014) and I'm 27 by the way.

For D.201 go to the Garda Station have it filled, Go to Tax Office with 2 pictures, Pay 35 euro. Receive Learner Permit. You'll then have to do IBT though. No if's or buts.

But you will be unrestricted from the off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

wot he said ^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I bought a Bonneville and I'm still on a provisional licence so I believe I need to restrict the power to 33BHP/25KW while I'm waiting to do the test.

I'm a bit confused on the best way to do this. Could I just buy something like this and take it to a mechanic to fit it and write me up a cert? Or is it not that simple?

If you do your test and pass on your 25kw L/Permit, you will be restricted to 35kw for min of 2 years to life on your full A2 licence, until you get a L/Permit for A (unrestricted) and do ibt.
    If you do your test on an A unrestricted L/Permit and pass, you would have no restrictions on your full bike licence

• Advertisement

"Since 6 December 2010, when you obtain your first learner permit for a particular category you must complete Initial Basic Training (IBT) before you can ride your motorcycle on the road unsupervised by your IBT instructor."

Quote from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_tests/approved_motorcycle_training_courses_in_ireland.html

From the quote above it seems that you only need to do the IBT if you got your first learner permit after December 2010. I got my first learner permit before Dec 2010, so that should make me exempt, right?

Just to clarify: I'm on my second learner permit for the restricted (<25KW) A learner licence; the licence expires in 2014.
    I have my full-licence test booked so I think that means I can get a third provisional licence if I show them the email from RSA about the driving test.

So what I'm hoping is that I can go to the motor tax office, pay €35 and get an unrestricted learner licence, without doing the IBT.

So, I have two questions:
    1. Can I get a new learner permit even though my current permit doesn't expire for another year.
    2. Do I need to do the IBT considering I got my first learner permit before Dec 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

From the quote above it seems that you only need to do the IBT if you got your first learner permit after December 2010. I got my first learner permit before Dec 2010, so that should make me exempt, right?

Just to clarify: I'm on my second learner permit for the restricted (<25KW) A learner licence; the licence expires in 2014.
    I have my full-licence test booked so I think that means I can get a third provisional licence if I show them the email from RSA about the driving test.

So what I'm hoping is that I can go to the motor tax office, pay €35 and get an unrestricted learner licence, without doing the IBT.

So, I have two questions:
    1. Can I get a new learner permit even though my current permit doesn't expire for another year.
    2. Do I need to do the IBT considering I got my first learner permit before Dec 2010?

1. Yes you can change your permit now and get the new 'A'

2. Yes, when you change your permit you will now have to do IBT modules 1,3,5. (18-Hours) before your permit is valid.

Thanks! This is very helpful although it's all getting a bit pricey.

Final two questions :)

1. When I've completed my IBT 1,3,5 could I legally drive away from the test center on my unrestricted bike (assuming I am insured and taxed) or do I need to do anything else (e.g. go back to the motor tax office for an updated permit).

2. Can I hold onto my existing restricted 'A' permit while also having the new 'A' permit? I will obviously need to be off the road between the time that I get my new permit and I do the IBT which would be inconvenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Thanks! This is very helpful although it's all getting a bit pricey.

Final two questions :)

1. When I've completed my IBT 1,3,5 could I legally drive away from the test center on my unrestricted bike (assuming I am insured and taxed) or do I need to do anything else (e.g. go back to the motor tax office for an updated permit).

You should have your ibt completed before you do your test on an unrestricted bike with your A learner permit. You can legally ride unrestricted once you complete your ibt.

2. Can I hold onto my existing restricted 'A' permit while also having the new 'A' permit? I will obviously need to be off the road between the time that I get my new permit and I do the IBT which would be inconvenient.

You can ride a restricted 25 bike until you get your new type A learner permit and do the ibt.

If you have a test booked before ibt, you should contact the rsa to get a later test date to enable you to complete your ibt.

You can ride a restricted 25 bike until you get your new type A learner permit and do the ibt.

Ok, here's my issue. I'm currently using my <25kW bike for transport. I will need to get to and from the IBT centre to do my IBT. With the new 'A' permit, I can't ride any bike on the road without having done my IBT, so I can't ride my existing <25kW bike. I could probably sort something out with a bus and then a taxi but it will add to the expense and hassle.

Between the cost of the IBT, a new learner permit, 3 days of buses and taxis, the IBT, a pre-test, the driving test, and the full-licence itself. It's going to cost me the bones of €1,000. Thank god I already have motorcycle gear (jacket, boots, helmet, pants) because getting a bike on-the-road nowadays is a pricey affair.

I'm hoping that there would be some way I can hold onto my existing licence so that I can get myself out there at least. Perhaps, I can do the IBT 1,2,5 on my existing restricted 'A' licence and get the new 'A' licence afterwards?

• Advertisement

For D.201 go to the Garda Station have it filled, Go to Tax Office with 2 pictures, Pay 35 euro. Receive Learner Permit. You'll then have to do IBT though. No if's or buts.

But you will be unrestricted from the off.

Just to confirm, do I need to go to a Garda station to get the form filled? I've printed out the D.201 and it looks like I only need to go to the Garda station if my original licence was lost/stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Just to confirm, do I need to go to a Garda station to get the form filled? I've printed out the D.201 and it looks like I only need to go to the Garda station if my original licence was lost/stolen.

dont know the process, but it could be to get your photos stamped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ok, here's my issue. I'm currently using my <25kW bike for transport. I will need to get to and from the IBT centre to do my IBT. With the new 'A' permit, I can't ride any bike on the road without having done my IBT, so I can't ride my existing <25kW bike. I could probably sort something out with a bus and then a taxi but it will add to the expense and hassle.

Between the cost of the IBT, a new learner permit, 3 days of buses and taxis, the IBT, a pre-test, the driving test, and the full-licence itself. It's going to cost me the bones of €1,000. Thank god I already have motorcycle gear (jacket, boots, helmet, pants) because getting a bike on-the-road nowadays is a pricey affair.

I'm hoping that there would be some way I can hold onto my existing licence so that I can get myself out there at least. Perhaps, I can do the IBT 1,2,5 on my existing restricted 'A' licence and get the new 'A' licence afterwards?

You could use your 25kw bike to get to the school and then use a school bike for the IBT.

Advertisement