Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 20/7/2013 to 12/10/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

This wan is WAY above my lowly intellectual level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Terrible bang of holier than though because I don't watch TV.

Its not an either or situation. You can have a TV and still read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have you read that book

"How to use a fkn PHONE"

"I find television very boring" .....if she'd watch 24 she'd change her mind

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Good grief - Kafka, Grass, lovely winter reading by the light of the hissing Tilley lamp
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

unfortunately if there were no ads we would be paying more for the licence. if there book worms dont stop ringing in there will be a big tax slapped on reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Heh heh Gowan pbh!

Stop whistling into the mouth piece.

This one sounds like a barrel of laughs.

I have no problem with people not having TV sets but there's no requirement to be so pompous as to look down at the rest of us bourjoisie who do. Woman with her Kafka books might as well have said "I feel I'm so much better than everyone else".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yes, shelter your kids from what's happening in the world, they'll be well adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

That's it sorted now the next time the TV License inspector calls around to my house I shall get quite indignant and calmly inform him that I have a huge problem with advertisements and I wish to spend my time reading, €160 saved there and then

unfortunately if there were no ads we would be paying more for the licence. if there book worms dont stop ringing in there will be a big tax slapped on reading

Theres already a hefty tax on books and magazines in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

How come I don't know anyone who doesn't have a TV in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Sounds like a hippy commune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Did Jim Larkin have a television? Well there you go.. :)

*Sigh*

edit: Aha, there's the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

tv bust last week, spent the week talking with friends and family, they seem like nice people

Whats a steiner school?

More holier than though attitudes?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

JM Skipton wrote: »
    That's it sorted now the next time the TV License inspector calls around to my house I shall get quite indignant and calmly inform him that I have a huge problem with advertisements and I wish to spend my time reading, €160 saved there and then
    We've heard it all before :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

syklops wrote: »
    Terrible bang of holier than though because I don't watch TV.

Its not an either or situation. You can have a TV and still read.

Precisely!

I have a TV but I also love to read. I can watch fathomless crap on TV but I also love Nat geo wild and some other educational channels.
    I ALSO read! *GASP*

"They dont start to read until 8 or 9"

Yeah very progressive...

They don't start reading until the age of 8 ? So what do they do until then, wreck the place and you put it down to ah sure let them develop naturally ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So she won't have to pay a licence fee. And if she did have a tv, she'd probably get a free one anyway.
    Your missing the point, Pat Rabbitte has everything, including big fat expenses, but he still behaves like a cave man.

Its not about TV licences, but about ignorant politicians, that what this whole discussion is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Didn't she say she has the internet though?

That means she'll have to pay the broadcasting charge, doesn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Is there any evidence to suggest that graduates from these schools go on to become more rounded citizens of society ?

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Its not about TV licences, but about ignorant politicians, that what this whole discussion is about.

And easily offended people.

Yes, Pat Rabbitte's comment was ignorant but I think that speaks more about him than it does people without TV sets.

Does his remark warrant an hour discussion on national radio though?

My opinion would be no, no it does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Your missing the point, Pat Rabbitte has everything, including big fat expenses, but he still behaves like a cave man.

Even when Pat Rabbitte says something I agree with I always have difficulty agreeing with him because of the manner in which he says it.

How do you know someone doesn't have a television? They will tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I can't understand why the idea of scrapping or massively scaling down public broadcasting hasn't come into the discussion at all. Fair enough, we need coverage of elections and a few other things like that in the public interest but the private broadcasters already cover that.

It seems bizarre to be squeezing people with a compulsory tax (which is quite high) just to commission programmes about Francis Brennan doing a hotel up or Carrie Crowley painting someone's shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

I thought she was gonna say that she charged her kids for the cost of the license.

• Advertisement

I can't understand why the idea of scrapping or massively scaling down public broadcasting hasn't come into the discussion at all. Fair enough, we need coverage of elections and a few other things like that in the public interest but the private broadcasters already cover that.

It seems bizarre to be squeezing people with a compulsory tax (which is quite high) just to commission programmes about Francis Brennan doing a hotel up or Carrie Crowley painting someone's shed.

What point does RTE two news serve?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement