Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 20/7/2013 to 12/10/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Give over it Joe, I don't have kids but I think playgrounds are a good idea. You don't have to be affected by something to approve of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

To avoid confusion in future, Joe's liveline polls should be a legally binding form of Vote for the over 65's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Am I the only person in Ireland with a Seanad vote :confused:

Thinly veiled I went to a high falluting college :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

joe316 wrote: »
    I dont agree with people giving out to the people working in the polling offices (although I wonder who they know to get those roles) its not their fault, same with the front line bankers.

My grandad did it, my mum did it and I did it so for us it was kind of inherited.

I did it in a civilian capacity. I'm not a civil servant.

I took DOGS ABUSE from idiots like that last caller. Stupid STUPID people.

Was once called at top volume a "STUPID FCUKING BITCH" because that charming individual moved house and thought that he was so fcuking important that the electoral register would just magically know to register him at his new address.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Wheel out another headcase please

Remember the young wan who rang in one day fawning over Michael Martin saying "sorry"? She was subsequently shown to be a card-carrying Fianna Failer. I think she was slightly touched.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's what I'm agreeing with him about. Take a look across the web and you'll see a lot of people voted no just a a kick to the government without putting any thought into what they actual issue was, pretty sad.

It's more than sad imo, it's complete stupidity. The whole notion of "protest votes" is something I never got. People using a vote to "punish" a government, or a party, or whatever is daft.

Vote on the issue at hand, it's not difficult.

Given how close the results were, idiots like that caller might have changed the overall outcome. Real democracy suffers if that is the case.

Oh, and best of luck with Seanad reform folks, anyone who voted "no" based on a complete reform of the Seanad happening is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thinly veiled I went to a high falluting college :p

I wondered how long it would take.... I guessed about 10 posts, but it was only 4 - well done, well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Another idiotic voter who did not know what he was voting for?

Am I the only person in Ireland who DOES have a Seanad vote :confused:

Nope me too!

I agree that the polling cards were confusing - I predicted lots of unintentional votes opposite to what people intended beforehand - I'd love to hear how many people voted yes when actually they meant no and vice versa.

Also, I'm in the whole of my health, with very good eyesight, and I had to squint to figure out the small print on the voting sheet...... there has to be a better way of doing it?

Electronic voting.

I'll get my coat......

• Advertisement

Meathlass wrote: »
    Nope me too!
    Another member of the bourgeoisie.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

61% of the electorate didn't vote and I think that is an issue the government should address straight away.

Electronic voting.

I'll get my coat......

Or just bigger print? Different fonts for Irish and English? Or different colours?

JM Skipton wrote: »
    61% of the electorate didn't vote and I think that is an issue the government should address straight away.

Let's have a referendum to make voting compulsory like in other countries! :)

Or just bigger print? Different fonts for Irish and English? Or different colours?

Or maybe machtnas explaining the ballot paper through the medium of interpretive dance? :D

Noooooo June Rogers - wonder could we vote to get rid of her

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

And for what it's worth shouting Thomas.

You DO need to provide identification if you are asked to do so.

old-man-cloud.jpg

Or maybe machtnas explaining the ballot paper through the medium of interpretive dance? :D

How can you make voting compulsory :confused:

I fully agree that it should be - but can't figure out how you'd implement/enforce it!

Aren't pyrite homes exempt ?

Red, white and blue for English in Times New Roman.
    Green, white and gold/orange for Irish in Celtic calligraphy.
    All on black paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

JM Skipton wrote: »

Noonan is reportly rubbing his hands with glee with the introduction of a Non voting Tax at 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 39,535 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Aren't pyrite homes exempt ?

I didn't see any of them voting.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Those lazyass paper-mache headed hippies have enough state funding wasted on them as it is, let's not encourage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

No confusion, it was all very straight forward, we where asked if we wanted to keep the Seanad gravy train for political rejects or get rid of it, I voted YES to get rid of the cosy nest club, some people voted no and turned it into a protest vote, very sad wasting a golden opportunity to get rid of the cosy club, by gosh the people are stupid.

I fully agree that it should be - but can't figure out how you'd implement/enforce it!

They do in Australia. They get 90%+ turnout for elections. Don't know how they enforce or punish those who don't vote but we think they're drongos.......

Red, white and blue for English in Times New Roman.
    Green, white and gold/orange for Irish in Celtic calligraphy.
    All on black paper.
    What about the German option.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My house is shifting, the foundations are moving.

"How is it dangerous" says Joe, the thicko.

They do it in Australia far as I know. Fines imposed for not voting I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would leave the gas on and put a match to it

• Advertisement

They do in Australia. They get 90%+ turnout for elections. Don't know how they enforce or punish those who don't vote but we think they're drongos.......

They have a fine, something minimal like $40 I think.

Edit, just checked, $20 and goes up to $170 plus court costs if you're prosecuted and found guilty in court.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement