Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 20/7/2013 to 12/10/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

"We got an insight".

Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

How can a cosy club of rejects be important to democracy, Im off, get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,535 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Lapin wrote: »
    Perhaps he wants to retain a second chamber but see it reformed so that he will have a vote in the future.

Voting to abolish the Seanad would have negated the possibility of that ever happening.

Bingo. I'm not in favour of gravy trains and snouts in the trough, but a two-tier government is something that shouldn't be discarded lightly.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Meet the new sponsors of the Mooney Marty Show.

th?id=H.4776232415723912&pid=1.9&w=300&h=300&p=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Enda Kenny must think we are some bunch of gobsh1tes all the same.. He puts the issue of abolishing the Seanad to the nation, because that's what most people want, and finds that the electorate would rather give him a bloody nose than get rid of MLOD. :mad:, Mark Daly.. :mad:, Ronán Mullen.. :mad: and the rest of the clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Perhaps he wants to retain a second chamber but see it reformed so that he will have a vote in the future.

Voting to abolish the Seanad would have negated the possibility of that ever happening.
    Wrong, you vote to get rid of the present corrupt setup. They set up a new Seaned and PUT THAT TO THE PEOPLE!!!
    But by the no vote you are putting your trust in the politicians to reform the present setup, well I hope I'm proved wrong, only time will tell, I won't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Good luck with that one. Reform? They have had 10 reform reports in the past and done nothing. Don't be holding your breathe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

AK333 wrote: »
    Good luck with that one. Reform? They have had 10 reform reports in the past and done nothing. Don't be holding your breathe

As someone pointed out on twitter today the first reform should be close nominations for the next seanad before polling day for the dail

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Wrong, you vote to get rid of the present corrupt setup. They set up a new Seaned and PUT THAT TO THE PEOPLE!!!
    But by the no vote you are putting your trust in the politicians to reform the present setup, well I hope I'm proved wrong, only time will tell, I won't hold my breath.

You must be joking.

Had we abolished the Seanad last week the government would have told us that "the people have spoken" and used it as a mandate to consign the house to the history books.

There is not a chance in hell that they would have taken Friday's referendum as a message to reform the place if we got rid of it.

After all - Their main selling point in trying to persuade us to scrap the Seanad was the costs involve in maintaining it. (And they lied about the figures too).

AK333 wrote: »

That says more about their lack of political will and laziness in the past than it does about the people's wish to have it reformed.

Commisioned reports in the past were easily shelved under a to do list and soon forgotten about.

Friday's referendum carries a lot more weight than all those reports put together and sends a much stronger message to the government that the people who vote for them want real political reform. Not lip service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Less than 40% voted. De 'ordinary woooorkin class peeple' are lazy and have no political will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

[QUOTE=Lapin;

Friday's referendum carries a lot more weight than all those reports put together and sends a much stronger message to the government that the people who vote for them want real political reform. Not lip service.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate you might have voted No as a political message for real reform but most of the numpties I saw and spoke to last Friday just don't like Enda Kenny - as far as I could see they just voted no to poke Enda in the eye, not because they understood what the referendum was about or what the Seanad actually could do.

I agree with a poster above, have the Seanad and Dail elections on the same day so then they can't decide to become a Senator if they don't get elected for the Dail. We would actually get to vote for the Senators as opposed to left over Dail wanna be's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

AK333 wrote:
    ... but most of the numpties I saw and spoke to last Friday just don't like Enda Kenny - as far as I could see they just voted no to poke Enda in the eye, not because they understood what the referendum was about or what the Seanad actually could do.

Agreed. PBH tweeted on Friday: "Three different people told me they wanted to abolish the senate but they decided to "send a message to Enda".

There is a lot of dissatisfaction out there, and poor Enda Kenny is bearing the brunt of it. People really seemed to think him and FG would be elected and then wave a magic wand and fix everything. Its not that simple.

Describing anyone who disagrees with you as a "numtpy" regardless of how they voted instantly disolves any point you make and makes anything else you have to say difficult to take seriously.

Anyone who made the effort to vote should be treated with respect regardless of how they voted and their reasons for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

this wont go down well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Asylum seekers have been told to listen to Joe, and now talk to Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Bumble squat

Surely its better than living in fear of death in your native country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Oh man buy a phone

subtitles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Joe isn't doing this out of any interest for asylum seekers welfare , much As he may portray it as such , he's doing it to provoke racist responses , just wait and see , shameless tabloid type radio from rte .

• Advertisement

Very ungrateful attitude:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is that Chemical Ali on the line ?

"like living in a hole"
    Have you ever lived in a hole caller?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,535 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

GET A BICYCLE
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Should provide them will chaffeurs in fairness.

What part of "asylum seeker" does Ali not get?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

He's lucky he didn't try to seek asylum in Australia. He'd be on a steamboat to Papua New Guinea by now.

Ireland is an easy touch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

so he was smuggled in.

so why doesn't he want to go home?

the civil war

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Ireland: The land of a thousand welcomes.

Yes i'll have some of that.........Finds out its not......Rings The Great Crusader Joe Duffy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

If you're not happy here feel free to find asylum somewhere else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement