Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 20/7/2013 to 12/10/2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Another friend of somebody in RTE... "I knew a foreign person once, Joe, and they were sound".... gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Ama in fair city is from Zambia/Zimbabwe and every time something doesn't go her way she says "I pack my bag and go". She still hasn't gone, bit of a joke amongst the posters on fair city thread.

I'm pretty sure she's off soon. Damien can go back to Caoimhe.

I hope Doug ok. Wasn't he Ama's first friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Why doesn't Joe do a poll asking if people believe these people are scammers, he loves to do it on other occasions.
    Ill tell you why, the result would be over 90% believe we are being taken for a ride.

I suppose most of them are scammers. They are economic migrants.
    Unfortunately they ruin the whole system for the few that are actually here for genuine asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

damienirel wrote: »
    Jeeze the stats on population increase there are shocking!!!
    Is that Wiki accurate??? WOWSERS!
    No wonder they want to get outta there!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ethiopias population has doubled to 80 million since the famine in the 80's. /facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Joe is due his regular "praise be to Allah" when ever a Muslim is on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

how many callers can Joe deal with at the same time...or put another way how many lines has LL?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Yakuza wrote: »
    The citizenship by birth loophole was only present since 1999 when the constitution was changed to allow anyone born "on the Island of Ireland or it seas and territories" (or something like that), to allow those born in the North claim Irish citizenship if they so wished. It wasn't intended to give a free-for-all citizenship to anyone who happened to be born here.

its the reverse dude.

anyone born on the island of ireland was ALWAYS considered to be a citizen till the citezenship ref changed it.

we were like the yanks that way.

thats how anyone born up the north was able to claim dual citizenship and even stand for the dail . ive mates from belfast in 90 with both passports back then.

thats the actual downside of the citizenship ref, the lads in the north no longer have a constitutional right to citizenship if enough of their decendants refuse to take it up ( i think its once ya get past grandfather level).

were more like the germans now on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Think we're due an ad break, it's almost 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

All I can think of is that the researchers are very left-wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mykola

The show was very unbalanced today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Ethiopias population has doubled to 80 million since the famine in the 80's. /facepalm

Jesus Wept!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

all we need now is a headshop angle on all of this :D:D

I never understand why don't people donate money to teach asylum seekers English, skills, etc. like the residents against racism group. If the money was well spent I'd support them.

signostic wrote: »
    all we need now is a headshop angle on all of this :D:D

Wouldn't it be gas if Mohammed was a headshop owner?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Oh my god I'm bored with this.

Jeez Mohammed was playing the ethnic minority card in Sudan too.......:rolleyes:

the deflation in joes voice there was classic.

he was SO hoping to get aine !

:D

its the reverse dude.

anyone born on the island of ireland was ALWAYS considered to be a citizen till the citezenship changed it.

thats how anyone born up the north was able to claim dual citizenship and even stand for the dail . ive mates from belfast in 90 with both passports back then.

thats the actual downside of the citizenship ref, the lads in the north no longer have a constitutional right to citizenship if enough of their decendants refuse to take it up ( i think its once ya get past grandfather level).

You're entitled to Irish citizenship/passport if you're from the North.

What the hell was that last call about. Was he an illegal?

Synopsis of the show: Áine invited on, attacked by stretched-out stories that go off on a different tangent.
    Really unbalanced show

• Advertisement

Ad break at 2:58, back for uninterested Joe to sign off. Sigh.

Lol such a joke of a radio show! should have just played another ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

an Invader

He went to the dole office and he was asked to about habitual residence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

he was illegal in Ireland, thanks ireland way to go on looking after your own

im off to google some eileen dunne photos now nom nom nom

You're entitled to Irish citizenship/passport if you're from the North.

now.

but in several generations time if none of your ancestors claimed it ya cant as they defined themselves a british/other.

think about it dude if it was different the scammers would just have kids in the north instead.

its a bit like how if your born before 37 here ya can get knighted by the queen like terry wogan, but my generatation cant as we were never her subjects.

IIRC the lads in the north have a legal right, not a constitutional one.

its not a problem to anyone alive now that wants to be irish, but it could be an issue down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

its the reverse dude.

anyone born on the island of ireland was ALWAYS considered to be a citizen till the citezenship ref changed it.

Oops, you're quite right, I misunderstood something I'd read about the referendum.

I managed to find this article which clarifies things (for me) :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_nationality_law

The fact that the 1999 change to the constitution appeared to open the floodgates seemed to be borne out by anecdotal and statistical evidence of a spike in migration after 1999, but as you say, it was always the case of being born in Ireland would grant citizenship.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?ID=740

The graph here indicates a doubling of immigrants between '99 and '05. Look further down to the massive spike in asylum applications during that time period.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Synopsis of the show: Áine invited on, attacked by stretched-out stories that go off on a different tangent.
    Really unbalanced show

Totally amateur alright - if that was bbc 5 live there would have been a balanced argument. Might not be entirely his fault but I'm sure he should shoulder most of the blame - but what are the producers doing when he's live?.

The license fee for what is a joke organisation really grates.

now.

but in several generations time if none of your ancestors claimed it ya cant as they defined themselves a british/other.

think about it dude if it was different the scammers would just have kids in the north instead.

its a bit like how if your born before 37 here ya can get knighted by the queen like terry wogan, but my generatation cant as we were never her subjects.

IIRC the lads in the north have a legal right, not a constitutional one.

its not a problem to anyone alive now that wants to be irish, but it could be an issue down the line.

The GF Agreement has something about those having the right to Irish or British. In fact I thought many took up Irish passports following that, and that the Agreement reinforced their right to Irish citizenship all the time.

Nationalists will probably be in the majority in a few generations anyway.

• Advertisement

Yakuza wrote: »
    Oops, you're quite right, I misunderstood something I'd read about the referendum.

I managed to find this article which clarifies things (for me) :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_nationality_law

The fact that the 1999 change to the constitution appeared to open the floodgates seemed to be borne out by anecdotal and statistical evidence of a spike in migration after 1999, but as you say, it was always the case of being born in Ireland would grant citizenship.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?ID=740

The graph here indicates a doubling of immigrants between '99 and '05. Look further down to the massive spike in asylum applications during that time period.

IIRC dev was even a cheeky bollocks standing for one of the first dails in west belfast !

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement