Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 20/7/2013 to 12/10/2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Joe:"A medical card for the elderly is like a credit card for your health"

Its like a credit card for your health for most people, only most people don't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How does that prick James Reilly get away with doing stuff like this? :mad:

700m over budget is the problem here

Bottler should be fired

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Do people not realise that a med card is issued on the basis of financial circumstances, not on the basis of what illness you may have. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If the medical card is like a credit card Joe's will be of the platinum variety when it is issued.

I'm waiting for the FG-bashing/this wouldn't have happened under the previous administration snide comments from Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Do people not realise that a med card is issued on the basis of financial circumstances, not on the basis of what illness you may have. :confused:

No, because people think they're "entitled" to it.

I'm waiting for Joe to ask what are her financial circumstances......waiting in vain I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

700m over budget is the problem here

Bottler should be fired

It's the dead weight in the HSE and some of the practises within there that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Hitchens

this is up there with the old "self employed people can't claim for dole" urban myth :rolleyes:

How does that prick James Reilly get away with doing stuff like this? :mad:

I have a lot of time for you, and thank most of your posts, but this sh1te is down to individual "health administrators" cutting spending, not the health minister. The HSE is a massive disorganised mess of bureaucracy. When Dr Reilly says, "you need to cut a million in spending", they dont cut pay or entitlements or paper clips, instead they take from patients and then blame "cuts".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

"your medical card is...dead"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

syklops wrote: »
    I have a lot of time for you, and thank most of your posts, but this sh1te is down to individual "health administrators" cutting spending, not the health minister. The HSE is a massive disorganised mess of bureaucracy. When Dr Reilly says, "you need to cut a million in spending", they dont cut pay or entitlements or paper clips, instead they take from patients and then blame "cuts".

The buck stops with the Minister for Health as far as I'm concerned.

The minister is responsible, buck stops with him!
    If the HSE is behaving in this manner, he needs to disband it and hold the administrators to account. That is what we are paying him for!

snubbleste wrote: »
    If the HSE is behaving in this manner, he needs to disband it and hold the administrators to account. That is what we are paying him for!

They disbanded the individual heath services to create the HSE, how many people became unemployed due to duplication, triplication etc of roles ? You can be the unions made sure there were none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

Guys, I am really going to stop listening to this show. I mean, to be honest, what problem do people have if they are asked to establish proof of entitlement. I think she was unlucky she was picked year after year, but you know its my tax money being spent here and I for one am glad to know that people are being asked to justify the request. Maybe its a case that during the celtic tiger years everyone just got everything with no backup documentation or whatever.
    Also I know some kids with Downs have heart issues and eye issues, but do they all? Like do they all need a medical card?

There you go, a woman whose family is directly affected blames the HSE, and not the government.

There are discretionary medical cards which are given to patients (who may not necessarily qualify for a medical card) with very serious illnesses such as cancer, which is right and proper in my opinion.

I sympathise with the plight of the majority of these people but this show needs some balance (again). Duffy is a disgrace, sensationalising pretty much everything these days whilst ignoring the facts at will and/or the individual circumstances of the caller. Next week (as predicted by a previous poster) will be war on the air with the OAPs up in arms and Joe egging them on whilst getting his Pro-FF Agenda out on the airwaves.

The buck stops with the Minister for Health as far as I'm concerned.

Thats very easy to say. The buck stops at the minister but the haddington road agreement precludes health staff from facing pay cuts. So what do you propose he does?

FF didnt just poison the chalice they crapped in it as well.

Horrendous stories ? Didn't they all get back their medical cards anyway apart from this guy ?

• Advertisement

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    Guys, I am really going to stop listening to this show. I mean, to be honest, what problem do people have if they are asked to establish proof of entitlement. I think she was unlucky she was picked year after year, but you know its my tax money being spent here and I for one am glad to know that people are being asked to justify the request. Maybe its a case that during the celtic tiger years everyone just got everything with no backup documentation or whatever.
    Also I know some kids with Downs have heart issues and eye issues, but do they all? Like do they all need a medical card?

Did you hear larry about a fortnight ago? I was ready to hit someone after that call.

And the Pro-FF mantra has started.....

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There you go, a woman whose family is directly affected blames the HSE, and not the government.
    Is the HSE a government body? Yes
    Is the HSE acting on behalf of the government? Yes
    Is the HSE accountable to the government? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    glad to know that people are being asked to justify the request

The snowflake never thinks it's responsible for the avalanche.

Did you hear larry about a fortnight ago? I was ready to hit someone after that call.

Nope, was on holidays. Brief synopsis?

Thats very easy to say. The buck stops at the minister but the haddington road agreement precludes health staff from facing pay cuts. So what do you propose he does?

FF didnt just poison the chalice they crapped in it as well.

So you're excusing the Minister for Health for adopting a Pontius Pilate approach and washing his hands of it all?

This couples income is over €60,000. What exactly is his complaint exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The contempt Joe has for the State, given how much they shovel in to his account, is nothing short of astounding... All that money that is being wasted that he is giving out about, all comes from the same pot that he's taking his 250K out of ...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

and what about the 160.00 TAX on every house in the country to pay your wages?????????

arseh0le:mad:

• Advertisement

Is the HSE a government body? Yes
    Is the HSE acting on behalf of the government? Yes
    Is the HSE accountable to the government? Yes

The HSE is a state body, not a government one. As to if the HSE is accountable to the government, not really in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement