Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 20/7/2013 to 12/10/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

You got a NY cab in Paris? :rolleyes:;)
    Ha....brilliant!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Big C wrote: »
    butters and sky, not funny commenting on parents tears, hope these things never visit your door

parents tears are not funny its Duffy tactics trying to make them cry is the funny bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You got a NY cab in Paris? :rolleyes:;)

That's the celtic tiger for you.. We (ALL of us) sure did party... I remember getting a taxi from Dublin to the Olympics once...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Public toilets for sale in Dublin -

2407_dubbus_l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

butters and sky, not funny commenting on parents tears, hope these things never visit your door

Joe gets off on callers crying on air so I would point your outrage at him not me.

He could actually get off his hole and help people instead he just pushes them to the brink.

With a budget of 300k Liveline could be more like a Challenge Anika type programme which goes out and gets stuff done. Instead its just a soapbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

Meathlass wrote: »
    This woman is really at the end of her tether. Missed a bit at the start but is it just the transport that's been cut or the care as well? Could the families bring the children themselves to the school/facility? Not ideal but better than nothing.

You have a point. You can't rely on the state for everything. A bit of self-help might go a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

That the 1st god bless hes given in a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

syklops wrote: »
    Joe gets off on callers crying on air so I would point your outrage at him not me.

He could actually get off his hole and help people instead he just pushes them to the brink.

With a budget of 300k Liveline could be more like a Challenge Anika type programme which goes out and gets stuff done. Instead its just a soapbox.

That entire budget only pays for Joe's pay packet I'm afraid. Nothing left for actual show

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

don't think it wud take much to push parents to the brink, where else can these parents be heard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I take it you're new here Big C?

My sympathies are totally with the parents/callers. It's Joe's propensity to reduce the callers to tears primarily through his own brand of amateur psychology that infuriates me, and that's what I and others here are complaining about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It takes some doing to drive to a cop shop after being shot in the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hamilcar wrote: »
    That entire budget only pays for Joe's pay packet I'm afraid. Nothing left for actual show
    My point was Joe could use his team of researchers, his 400,000 listener-ship and all the resources at his disposal to go out and do something. To improve the life of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

SUKI difference between complaining and a cheap laugh, how often have you written to rte complaining, if u think joe is such a tool why do you listen .

PS Not new to any of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Dam it, I'd say the Irish Rickshaw Acc regret it now the bus strikes over. They must have cleaned up.

SUKI difference between complaining and a cheap laugh, how often have you written to rte complaining, if u think joe is such a tool why do you listen .

PS Not new to any of this

I have actually written to RTE on more than one occasion to complain about the standard of journalism/broadcasting on this show and the bias shown by the host who seems to seems to see the show as some sort of vehicle to promote himself, his cronies and his agenda. On each occasion I have received a standard, generic reply to which I have subsequently replied asking for specific replies to each of the points I raised in my original letter - to which I have not received any replies. I will even try and find a copy of one such generic reply for you if I still have them.

Why do I listen? Honestly? for the comedic value of the thread - not for Joe. from a timing perspective, I drop in and out, but I only ever listen when I have access to the Internet and can post. I couldn't listen to Lahv Lahn without the sanity of boardsies to remind me that I'm not the only one who thinks he's an overpaid talentless tool.

Edit: Found one in email:

Dear

Thank you for your e.mail and your interest in our programmes.

Your comments about Liveline with Joe Duffy will be included in the Audience Log of calls and e-mails which is circulated for information to senior RTÉ programme management and is reviewed at the weekly meeting of the Editorial Board.

We thank you for making your views known.

With every good wish.

there was a name given here but I've deleted it as it's unfair on the individual to name them publicly
    RTÉ Information

As you can see - generic fare.

And as Meathlass posted on the previous thread, you're missing the point of the thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

if u think joe is such a tool why do you listen .

That's exactly why i listen.

That and most of the callers are hilarious morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

mqdefault.jpg

It wasn't satire, it was imitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

syklops wrote: »
    My point was Joe could use his team of researchers, his 400,000 listener-ship and all the resources at his disposal to go out and do something. To improve the life of someone.
    I would question that figure of 400,000 listeners. I know that where I work most people listen to the lunchtime news and because Liveline comes on next at 1.45 a lot of people hear the first 15 minutes, simply because the radio is left on. It would be interesting to find out how many listen to the whole program. I doubt if it would be half that figure.
    I also notice that many of the ads later on in the program consist of RTE promoting it's own stuff, so obviously the paying advertisers are not taking the bait because they know that by 2.45 there are very few listeners left.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,554 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I would question that figure of 400,000 listeners. I know that where I work most people listen to the lunchtime news and because Liveline comes on next at 1.45 a lot of people hear the first 15 minutes, simply because the radio is left on. It would be interesting to find out how many listen to the whole program. I doubt if it would be half that figure.
    I also notice that many of the ads later on in the program consist of RTE promoting it's own stuff, so obviously the paying advertisers are not taking the bait because they know that by 2.45 there are very few listeners left.

Which makes his salary all the more incredible.
    I wonder how much the talent gets paid in, for example, regional radio in the UK? Something like Radio Clyde, as was, had a listenership in that kind of figure and even allowing for inflation, the top guys on that got paid nothing like he's getting.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Uhhhhh................. but Joe is the sole voice of the vast idiot population of this nation so he deserves to be paid more than a jock with a similar size audience in another country.

Obviously :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Uhhhhh................. but Joe is the sole voice of the vast idiot population of this nation so he deserves to be paid more than a jock with a similar size audience in another country.

Obviously :rolleyes:

At least 5 times more :)

Anyone catch the promo for today?

I see Mary O'Rourke is continuing her media-whoring on News at 1 in a minute.....she never misses an opportunity to hear her own voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I see Mary O'Rourke is continuing her media-whoring on News at 1 in a minute.....she never misses an opportunity to hear her own voice.

It seems she's a medium now

Boombastic wrote: »
    It seems she's a medium now

No, she's a geebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I think she's advocating a merger between FF and FG. Would that be the political equivalent of a same-sex marriage?:confused:

No, she's a geebag.

Harsh but fair :D

Harsh but fair :D

Jeez, I was going easy as I was on an iPhone and couldn't unleash my full feelings towards her in less than 20,000 words.

Teachers get lost travelling between classes

Ask her is she making it up Joe.....

Jeez, I was going easy as I was on an iPhone and couldn't unleash my full feelings towards her in less than 20,000 words.

Deep breaths, she's not worth it :)

• Advertisement

Teachers get lost travelling between classes

They probably have glass doors like the caller from last week so it's likely a health and safety issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement