Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 20/7/2013 to 12/10/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Who cares?

Not you obviously.

I care.

What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've got the key, I've got the secret......

Can we find the key to Thoorballylee?

As Yeats would say. Fûck off Duffy trying to loosely compare yourself to a poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Meathlass wrote: »
    Well I don't agree that Heritage sites have to be profit making but you have to do some sort of analysis on them or your figures will be all wrong e.g. Every time I'm in Dublin I pop into the National Museum of Archaeology, sometimes for only 5 mins to look at my favourite artefacts. I invariably come out with a new book, costing €10 or more. I wouldn't go in so often if I had to pay €3 each time though. It's a psychological thing.

These are long term questions that the various heritage bodies need to sort out on a country/regional/county level and target and build up specific areas they want to focus on. The problem, like most things in Ireland, is the level of fragmentation of state bodies with responsibility for these things.

Sure, but doing up local buildings know one has ever heard using the "tourism card", with little chance of people from the US wanting to visit them, is getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jays joe ya cant miss the keys.

theyre right by the river !

:D

vicwatson wrote: »
    Not you obviously.

I care.

What's the problem?

No problem. I don't care personally, but you are entitled to care if you genuinely do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

What the hell are they talking about!

Any secondary school I know has a half day on Wednesday or Friday.

What's so difficult about that.

I never heard of it before. Was it just in the pale?

snubbleste wrote: »
    The point is there is zero commercial advertisers in that ad break

Not unusual in ads on Lahv Lahn between 2:45-3:00, has been discussed here before. RTE/Duffy chicanery.

Boombastic wrote: »

Nope, common in Cork, Limerick and Galway too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

People often say open up Skull Island, bring back the Railways, etc for specific tourists yet never mention the cost benefit analysis, when we all know we'd be paying millions for thousands!

Pseudo-tourist experts seem to be everywhere these days.

Same as pseudo-economists so. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Degringola wrote: »
    I can't help thinking that if public servants took a pay cut down to average European levels then the most vulnerable would not have to go without.
    But those holiday homes don't pay for themselves. Maybe I'm too cynical.

Lets cut the entire cost of living down to European levels, then we can discuss it.

• Advertisement

Nope, common in Cork, Limerick and Galway too.

Seems to be a city thing then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Our school used to finish at 3.25 instead of 4 on Wednesday. Not really a half day.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

vicwatson wrote: »
    Typical teachers name - ITA, the parents knew she was gonna be a teacher when they named her.

Haha, so true. That reminds me of a teacher colleague of my mother called Ita who used to monopolise the staffroom every single day bloviating on about her husband and children. My mother actually became an expert on the type of underwear her husband wore. She drove everyone to distraction.

Joe re grinds: I'm sure they pay tax on them.
    Well my sister gave 4 or 5 hours of grinds a week for years. Never paid a penny tax. Not tarring every teacher with the same brush of course, maybe most do declare them but who knows?

Our school used to finish at 3.25 instead of 4 on Wednesday. Not really a half day.

We finished at 4 everyday. Can I sue anybody?

Must be, but every other day we'd be in from 9 - 3:45. So I always assumed we made up the hours.

Don't know about private schools, maybe that's why Joe doesn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

We finished at 4 everyday. Can I sue anybody?
    Of course, sure aren't you ENTITLED!

Of course, sure aren't you ENTITLED!

I'll gather a survivors group together and a bit of airtime on duffy..he'd love it, it'd be an excuse for him to have a few nuns on :)

Same as pseudo-economists so. :P

To be fair the pseudo-economists were right when they said the visit of the queen of England would not bring in millions of extra tourists.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Lets cut the entire cost of living down to European levels, then we can discuss it.

I take your point but it is the case that many public servants availed themselves of second mortgages that would have been out of the reach of their European counterparts. Some people in quite ordinary jobs were living the lifestyle of CEOs. Living abroad I could never figure out how they could afford this. And I've never seen as many Mercs and BMWs as I have in Ireland.

Where we used to holiday sometimes in France, there was a new block of apartments built opposite us. The manager told me they were almost all owned by Irish. Now I doubt they were all financial wizards. And now the tide has gone out. But as I said in a previous post, I've become very cynical in my old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Joès not going to like that caller on the news saying thres drugs clinics in ballyfermot.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Joès not going to like that caller on the news saying thres drugs clinics in ballyfermot.

It's a terrrribel skurge an blite on da communiteee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Degringola wrote: »
    I take your point but it is the case that many public servants availed themselves of second mortgages that would have been out of the reach of their European counterparts. Some people in quite ordinary jobs were living the lifestyle of CEOs. Living abroad I could never figure out how they could afford this. And I've never seen as many Mercs and BMWs as I have in Ireland.

Where we used to holiday sometimes in France, there was a new block of apartments built opposite us. The manager told me they were almost all owned by Irish. Now I doubt they were all financial wizards. And now the tide has gone out. But as I said in a previous post, I've become very cynical in my old age.

It is actually amazing how many irish public servants from teachers to other civil servants have croatian holiday homes. Croatian teachers don't have croatian holiday homes.

Dee A-Zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Waits for Joe to mispronounce tapir.

She was buggered by a monkey i bet

• Registered Users Posts: 39,554 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Dubalin Zoo, bites you in the bum.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

syklops wrote: »
    Waits for Joe to mispronounce tapir.

I'm waiting for "20 tings youz didn't know about tape-hers"

Cue joe going back to the escaped lion from the circus in nineteen dickety doo

• Registered Users Posts: 39,554 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Makes a change from masturbating chimpanzees throwing faeces, I suppose.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

" and tell us Deirdre in great detail how bad was the pain?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement