Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your albums of the year so far?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Belfast was awesome last night!! BMTH are just a big bundle of energy jump about.

A decent performance by Bullet - was great to see them again, fell in love with them at Download this year, Matt playing up the whole rock star thing and play hit after hit after hit!

2z52740.jpg
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    /fangirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I changed username and deleted my first post in this thread so I'll re-post my R&M albums of the year so far:

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
    Big fan of Steven Wilson's music and I'm amazed by this release, I can see myself listening to it for years to come.

Deafheaven - Sunbather
    Haven't liked much black metal apart from Alcest, but Sunbather will probably be my gateway into acknowledging the genre a bit more.

Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse - Wisdom of Crowds
    Katatonia are a great band, don't know much about The Pineapple Thief, but I didn't think I'd enjoy Wisdom of Crowds when I heard the single 'Frozen North' months before its release. Listening to the album in its entirety changed that though, very enjoyable stuff.

Karnivool - Asymmetry
    Got a lot of play time out of Asymmetry and although it's a different type of album to their excellent Sound Awake, I appreciate its less hook oriented, dissonant and darker sound.

Palms - Palms
    Was excited to hear that Chino Moreno and ISIS were teaming up on this project and I think there's plenty of promising aspects to Palms, I'd love to hear a sequel.

There's also a few more R&M albums I intend to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

Hated so much they sold over 3 million albums, that latest release is terrible I think even the band are trying to distance themselves from it. Should be a decent gig in Belfast tonight though.

Justin Bieber has sold millions of albums, doesn't mean he doesn't have his fair share of haters, it's usally the old fashioned metal heads who hate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Justin Bieber has sold millions of albums, doesn't mean he doesn't have his fair share of haters, it's usally the old fashioned metal heads who hate them.

Sure but the way you put it was you were in a minority of people who liked them although maybe you are for that album anyway :):):), Obvs popularity brings more opinions positive & negative but whys this Bieber chap referenced every youtube vid, forum etc when the chap doesnt need irrelevant exposure?, put him away!!

anyway back on track with the thread, Its these 2 rock albums that lead the way for me as favs of the year

Ghost - Infestissumam
    QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

Seems to be mixed feelings about the latest Ghost album esp when it comes too discussing weather its better than the first and im with the opinion that it is. Highly addictive stuff.

The Latest QOTSA record is a great listen with I Appear Missing my personal highlight

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Maye83 wrote: »

Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse - Wisdom of Crowds
    Katatonia are a great band, don't know much about The Pineapple Thief, but I didn't think I'd enjoy Wisdom of Crowds when I heard the single 'Frozen North' months before its release. Listening to the album in its entirety changed that though, very enjoyable stuff.

I'd recommend The Pineapple Thief if you like WOC, they sound closer to them than Katatonia, which isn't surprising given Bruce did most of the writing I think. Someone Here is Missing and Tightly Unwound are both very good albums.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

In no particular order:

Spock's Beard: Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
    Sound of Contact: Dimensionaut
    Riverside: Shrine of New Generation Slaves
    The Prophecy: Salvation
    Newsted: Heavy Metal Music
    Mourning Beloveth: Formless
    Havok: Unnatural Selection
    Fen: DustWalker
    Evile: Skull
    Black Sabbath: 13
    Annihilator: Feast
    Acolyte: Alta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Bullet For My Valentine - Temper Temper.

They are one of the most hated bands out there but I think they're great, they are playing Belfast tonight.

I genuinely thought they were a parody band at first, everything about them is so horribly clichéd but watered down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

I genuinely thought they were a parody band at first, everything about them is so horribly clichéd but watered down...

they aren't the most exciting band out there i admit but they sure know how to pull off some good catchy tracks, Matt Tuck also is in another band called AxeWound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Origins by God is an Astronaut is gonna be a contender for second place for me anyway, its gorgeous stuff!

Advertisement