Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R756 Road

• 20-07-2013 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hey,

looking for a bit of local knowledge on this road, it runs from hollywood to laragh. And also looking at laragh to rathdrum. I think I have been on this road before but I will be towing a caravan this time and I am wondering is the road wide enough that I won't be stopping and starting. Also is there any steep inclines along the road, don't mind bends just dont want to get stuck on a hill.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

You will be fine towing a caravan, just watch out theres an awful lot of cyclists and motorcyclists on it this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The only bit that's a bit on the narrow / windy side is the section from the old disused lead mines down to Glendalough, but tour buses use that route quite a bit so I'm sure you'll be OK. I'd avoid the R759 / R115 roads that cross the Sally Gap though if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

If it's not a rolling road block of cyclists or motorbikes trying to achieve the "Hollywood-Laragh (in) 12 minutes Run", it will be slow moving tractors on the route which will be your only worries really at this time of year. Also, there are numerous cars parking at the Kings River Bridge to go swimming etc. in the good weather which presents a "challenge" for larger, wider verhicle to get past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

What do mean by hill? You're basically crossing the hills on this route, over Wicklow Gap etc. So there's a good steady climb up and a descent the far side. The section leaving Hollywood is the steepest uphill if I recall correctly. Before the days of power steering, I often just switched off the engine on reaching Wicklow Gap - you could then free wheel all the way to Glendalough.. :)

Advertisement