Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat has started hissing at me

• 20-07-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭

I got my cat as a 7 week old feral kitten & tamed him. He's about 14 months old now and although he's nervous around new people he's very friendly and affectionate with people he knows.

He's predominantly an indoor cat because of an injury that means he wouldn't be the fastest at getting away from other animals & less able to defend himself.

Lately though if we're out in the garden he'll hiss at me if I try to go near him. Any ideas how to stop this behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Sounds like a pine marten to me,could you upload a picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Definitely a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Sure is,when I seen feral kitten I said maybe you got a wild animal by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭TheminxIRL

Something has spooked him and he has reverted to his old ways of always being on the defensive.

Have you changed any routine or is there another animal nearby that might have him on his guard all the time?

No his routine is exactly the same.
    He's all sweetness & light when we're inside, and only gets like this in the garden which has been more often lately with the weather.

There hasn't been any other cats around while we're out there but maybe it's the smell of other cats that pass through.

I don't want to stop him going outside completely but the hissing is really bothering me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The hissing is usually a warning to back off. Usually when something has scared or upset them, even something like the smell of another cat on their human. Are you wearing sunscreen by any chance? It might even be something minor like that, an initial strong scent of sunscreen when you're outdoors but indoors he'd be fine with familiar smells in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I dont really know how to phrase this, but was he ever burnt before you got him? And is now sunburnt reminding him of his past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 singsong321

If he's still intact it could be the cause, un-neutered male cats become territorial around this time of year. But another simplier explanation could be the heat, make sure he has a shaded area to rest and plenty of fluids available, let him indoors at the peak heat times if need be and see if his behavior improves. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I don't have a cat.

Here's an idea though -at the moment my dog has me TORMENTED making me open the door to let her in & out repeatedly, refusing to settle or go to bed at night, & strolling around the garden for hours at night. I think even with all the radiators off it's just too hot for her to sleep, or settle. Mine is refusing to come back in from the garden -normally she SPRINTS back in.

..from what you said about the cat not being out a lot -maybe the hiss is her way of telling you she wants to be let( allowed stay) outside. The heat is killing them all in this weather. I'd Try that .

If you had a bit of cash you could try getting a few rolls of chicken wire & making a temporary run with hidey holes & shade & water along a wall . Might be worth exploring for some cat-happy & peace of mind for you regarding her injury.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the responses.

He's neutered & I always leave the back door open so he has access to shade & water at all times.

I think you could be onto something with making a cat run of some kind so he can spend more time out there without me worrying. I'll get my DIY hat on ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement