Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triumph Motorbikes

• 20-07-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Anyone out there that has a Triumph motorbike or knows of anyone who does. I have only owned Jap bikes and am considering a Triumph Explorer 1200.I would like to know if they are reliable, well built and hold there value well etc..
    Any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Wondaboy and lookbehindyou both have Triumph motorbikes

Im sure they will be along shortly to give you some info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cant give you anything reliability wise as I only have mine 4 weeks. They are very well built and finished very well IMHO, lovely gurgle off them and lovely to drive. I have a 2010 Triumph Sprint 1050 S.T and its a joy to ride TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

some parts are dear from the main dealer and some are cheaper than spurious .

if its a second hand make sure its call backs and software updates are done

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Thanks, its a 2012 explorer with very low miles and some nice extras, I had a look at them at the bike show in the rds this year and I liked them but never rode one or an adventure style bike for that matter but i'll try anything! and I find the gs are more expensive also. I will enquire about recalls etc,thanks for that I hadn't thought about it. I do like the st also but I have an adventure style bike in my head at the moment,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Is there a triumph dealer that'd give you a test ride on a new one? Won't be much difference between this years and last. Have a go on the new KTM too if you can.

Then buy a GS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

am i the only one that thinks GS's are a bit of a cliche? i've an older triumph trophy OP, no issues with it aside from sounding like ballbearings in a tin can at tickover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

This is something I've always wondered. The English bike mags are always raving about Triumph bikes, yet you hardly ever see any on the roads over here.

Are the English mags biased towards English brands, or is there some anti-English bias here when it comes to buying motorbikes?

Or is it simply economics, very few Triumph dealers, overpriced bikes?

To be perfectly honest, Triumph bikes are stellar machines. Not because I have one....the likes of the Street Triple R, the Daytona 675R (arguably the best sports bike around) and the new Trophy are top of there respected class and are uber good machines. Then you have the likes of the new Tiger 1050 and the Sprint and all in all across the board Triumph are producing lovely bikes.

Granted alot of the english media go a bit over board with the propaganda, just like euro-sport do with Cal Crutchlow. But its justified with some of the bikes they have IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

had a few Triumphs

sprint 1050 best engine i had ever ridden, great bike and well built
    daytona 650 solid real world road bike

only prob was triumphs customer care i'll stop there before i start a 2 page rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

markbld65 wrote: »
    only prob was triumphs customer care i'll stop there before i start a 2 page rant

And thats why I'm reluctant to go Triumph.

I've been saying for awhile that I wanted to go over to Triumph in Ballymount to look at a Speed Triple but when I ask people who have bought from them I'm warned off every time.

Other than that I think Triumph make some lovely bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

I have a 2001 Triumph Tiger with over 85,000 miles on it.
    I've ridden it all over America and up to the artic ocean in Alaska
    Never left me down and uber reliable.
    I did replace the alternator at 50k wth an aftermarket one.
    Me mate came over from Dublin last summer and did 3500 miles on it in a week.
    I do all my own maintenance and you need to keep an eye on the oil level
    if you are doing extended days in the saddle and it gets hot out.
    I've ridden the explorer and it's a lovely bit of kit
    Handles great and the brakes are awesomebut a little pricey for my liking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

^^^ I love those stories, and great photo of a proper workhorse!.

263532.jpg

Thumbs up!.

And thats why I'm reluctant to go Triumph.

I've been saying for awhile that I wanted to go over to Triumph in Ballymount to look at a Speed Triple but when I ask people who have bought from them I'm warned off every time.

Other than that I think Triumph make some lovely bikes.

If you are really interested and looking a trip up to McCallans in Antrim is well worth it and he will let you test ride anything for about an hour!

Thanks for all the replies, any of the reviews I've looked at are good for these bikes. I rang Triumph in Ballymount but found it difficult to get much information from the sales guy and I am a 3.5 hr drive away and it didn't encourage me much to go for a look. My main concern is reliability as there is no one I know with a triumph at the moment and the GS are too expensive for me also especially one that is specced up with all the toys. Thanks again I will try and get a spin on one and take it from there.

hondavfr wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, any of the reviews I've looked at are good for these bikes. I rang Triumph in Ballymount but found it difficult to get much information from the sales guy and I am a 3.5 hr drive away and it didn't encourage me much to go for a look. My main concern is reliability as there is no one I know with a triumph at the moment and the GS are too expensive for me also especially one that is specced up with all the toys. Thanks again I will try and get a spin on one and take it from there.

If you have cash on the hip a trip across the water or even up north will get you a better serviced and looked after bike and alot more extras for more or less the same money.

As I said earlier McCallans in the north are a huge Triumph dealer and very very good with customer service. Might be a tad pricey on bikes but nothing a bit of haggling would not sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...in fairness a Triumph would be at least as reliable as a GS - actually, it's probably more so. I rode many BMW's for many many years, and I'd be reluctant to spend big bucks on one again. A friend of mine had a lovely near-new K1200GT and it broke his heart: and his wallet. His GS before that ditto.

I'd buy a modern Triumph in a heartbeat, reliability-wise.

Woods Motorycycles is in Conway in North Wales, only 50 minutes from Holyhead.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Good advice Wonda-Boy and Galwaytt. Yes i am a cash buyer and have no problem going up north or england. I have not ruled out going for another sports tourer either(VFR1200) maybe but a change would be nice also and i do like the Triumph. I see how i go even if i have to wait for a while for the right bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

would second the recommendation for Phillip McCallens. Just another level of customer service compared to the shops down here

had a problem with my street triple while it was still under warrenty. Couldnt sort it over the phone, though did try step me though a few possible solutions, and in the end Phillip himself (!) came down of a Friday evening and collected it in a van - he's an absolute gent.

If only they were a bit closer (or I'd bought a more distance appropriate bike lol) Id be up there for everything

Wossack wrote: »
    would second the recommendation for Phillip McCallens. Just another level of customer service compared to the shops down here

had a problem with my street triple while it was still under warrenty. Couldnt sort it over the phone, though did try step me though a few possible solutions, and in the end Phillip himself (!) came down of a Friday evening and collected it in a van - he's an absolute gent.

If only they were a bit closer (or I'd bought a more distance appropriate bike lol) Id be up there for everything

When I went up on the FZ6 to test drive a Tiger 1050 the front sprocket bit the dust just as I got there....he took the bike into the work shop (himself) and brought me in and showed me what the story was. Told me it was safe to ride home at a slow pace rather then leave it there to be fixed as he was up to his eyeballs....absolute gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If you are really interested and looking a trip up to McCallans in Antrim is well worth it and he will let you test ride anything for about an hour!

agree with you on that one Phillip is a true gent and more then helpfull, i traveled up to him a good few times great service and friendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Anyone out there that has a Triumph motorbike or knows of anyone who does. I have only owned Jap bikes and am considering a Triumph Explorer 1200.I would like to know if they are reliable, well built and hold there value well etc..
    Any advice much appreciated

I bought a new Tiger 800 -- which is the 1200's little sister -- with a sh*t load of extras, from the place in Ballymount. Picked the bike up in Jan. They also deal Ducati and Harley.

No problem getting a long test ride (they said 2-3 hours but I only took 1.5 hours). Whereas BMW wouldn't let me ride a GS. BMW also didn't bother to call me when they said they would, so they lost my business immediately.

I've had no problems, but have only done 4-5k or so, so can't comment on reliablity. But from my research, the general idea I got was that they are reliable for most people. The 800 got fantastic reviews everywhere which sparked my initial interest.

In terms of build quality, I find them pretty excellent. Obviously everyone spots certain things they don't like, but I won't go into those as they're not really about quality, and are subjective to me.

I also own a Ninja (250), and consider the 800 to be of much better build quality -- though the Ninja is known as a budget-y bike.

The triple engine is lovely...the 800 is not particularly designed for power, (unlike the ST), and I have a load of heavy extras, and I still find it plenty fast and powerful. It's very comfortable and fun riding on motorways and back roads alike.

Regarding customer service, they guys in Ballymount are grand so far. I liked my sales-guy a lot...fairly straight-up and personable -- and genuinely thanked me for my business. But he left recently. My impression so far is that they're probably going to be okay to deal with, but probably will do you no major favours.

Had some issues with some of the work they did on my extras, but that was more the mechanic, than the sales/after-sales service -- and something I'll be a bit more of a pr!ck about when it comes to the next service.

So overall, I'm saying I'd recommend Triumph if their other bikes are anything like the Tiger 800 in terms of quality. And from what I've seen they are.

Plus, you'll sell them on much easier, I should think, as most people jump on the GS wagon meaning there's a lot more available.

Are you sure you want a 1200 though? From what I've read online, a lot of people seem to change from 1200 to 800, because they want something smaller/lighter -- though vica-versa is true also.

Personally, I find myself preferring my little Ninja when city-riding or doing short spins as I find the 800 is just a bit big and heavy sometimes -- so I can't imagine enjoying a 1200 personally. I'm not a weak person either, but perhaps my height is a bit less than ideal.

Though, as I said, I do have a lot of extras which add a lot of weight, which you may not have.

I would prefer a shaft driven bike this time and the bikes i like are 1200cc, also i go 2 up a fair bit so like a bike that can cope easily without too much gear changing etc...I hope to do some touring on my next bike in europe and this time i think i will get a big girl!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I would prefer a shaft driven bike this time and the bikes i like are 1200cc, also i go 2 up a fair bit so like a bike that can cope easily without too much gear changing etc...I hope to do some touring on my next bike in europe and this time i think i will get a big girl!!

I can understand the shaft drive thing.

Not having a go at you personally, jyst more a general comment, but I think we've lost the run of ourselves when we think a modern 800cc bike is not capable of regularly carrying a pillion.......a friend of mine made the very same comment lately about his CBF1000 ......

I've had a GS12 and I relish the lighter bikes now.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

Not having a go at you personally, jyst more a general comment, but I think we've lost the run of ourselves when we think a modern 800cc bike is not capable of regularly carrying a pillion.......a friend of mine made the very same comment lately about his CBF1000 ......

Very true, but alot of the times I think people are on about the physical size of the motorbike rather then the size of the engine. Most 600cc bikes would easily carry a pillion but its the cramped riding style of the smaller bikes that throw a spanner in the works.

Having just gone from an FZ6 to a Sprint ST the difference is night and day but the pros far out weight the cons. But last week on the twisties at a hefty pace it was hard work compared to the 600. But its another challenge that the bigger bikes bring and I look forward to getting better on it.

But alot of the newer riders I have met over the last 3-4 mths only starting out are going "MENTAL" to get litre bikes and bigger overnight!!!! But ask them WHY and they have no practical answer. As in I need the space for the pillion or I do alot of touring etc etc.....they just see the CC's and think faster>quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

galwaytt wrote: »

I've read similar arguments like this, such as people saying "my parents toured the whole of the US on a 125 with absolutely no problems, kids thesedays a spoilt!".

I've done some two-up, fully loaded on the 800 and it's grand for me. Lots of power left, I feel.

Personally I can't see myself ever owning a heavier or larger bike, or wanting one.

Already between centre stand, fog lights, crash bars, heated grips/handguards, panniers and pannier racks/fittings, etc., you can really notice the weight. Can't imagine wiggling in and out of traffic with anything bigger. I think too big and it starts to lose the advantages in terms of agility, servicing ease/costs, fuel costs, fun factor, etc., to the point where I'd be better off with a car.

That said, I haven't ridden a 1200CC so I could be talking sh!t3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Wossack wrote: »

Phillip's on the ball, but I'm still waiting for a response from the parts dept from 9th July

Phillip McCallen Motorcycles
    Hi XXX, Jane did get your email and passed it to the Parts guys for ordering. We will find out the status and let you know ASAP.
    Cheers,
    Doug

Doh - they were slow to respond to me RE a seat hump for the zx6 too (they're kwack dealers also)

they got back eventually, citing email issues (oh dear)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

infacteh wrote: »
    This is something I've always wondered. The English bike mags are always raving about Triumph bikes, yet you hardly ever see any on the roads over here.

Are the English mags biased towards English brands, or is there some anti-English bias here when it comes to buying motorbikes?

Or is it simply economics, very few Triumph dealers, overpriced bikes?

I think that's your answer in bold. Triumph sell thousands of bikes all over the world, and they are very popular (and with a good reputation since their rebirth), yet here they seem very scarce on the ground, so I guess its an economic or price thing that puts Irish buyers off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

LordSutch wrote: »
    I think that's your answer in bold. Triumph sell thousands of bikes all over the world, and they are very popular (and with a good reputation since their rebirth), yet here they seem very scarce on the ground, so I guess its an economic or price thing that puts Irish buyers off?
    Some of the dealers they had here were pure shysters, there was one in Cork that folded and left a load of people burnt. That would sour people pretty quickly I imagine.

• Advertisement

yea, theres been about 4 shop closures, or franchise changes in as long as Ive owned my bike (~5 years) - wouldnt instill confidence really..

also, being a british make seems to rub some up the wrong way over here.. but sure, what can ye do about them

Advertisement