Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triumph Motorbikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Some of the dealers they had here were pure shysters, there was one in Cork that folded and left a load of people burnt. That would sour people pretty quickly I imagine.

Yeah, and there's another near enough to Dublin that closed. Can't remember where.

The fact that the new Dublin dealers have managed to keep Harley and Ducati open, and the fact that there's McCallen's up the North, are the only two reasons I bought a new Triumph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

celtic triumph I think..? naas-ish area

place by red cow is decent - no major favours as you say yourself. Bizare layout too - triumph front door is always closed, in my experience, with a sign 'please use HD door', and you go in there, and no way through at all. Wandering around in tassle-land tring to find the obvious door, and in the end have to ask someone to bring you through, and you go via the stockroom?? bizarre..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wossack wrote: »
    celtic triumph I think..? naas-ish area

place by red cow is decent - no major favours as you say yourself. Bizare layout too - triumph front door is always closed, in my experience, with a sign 'please use HD door', and you go in there, and no way through at all. Wandering around in tassle-land tring to find the obvious door, and in the end have to ask someone to bring you through, and you go via the stockroom?? bizarre..

It is a bit odd alright - you'd think they'd have an always-open internal door at least, rather than having to go through their stock room......

Still, that wouldn't stop me buying one !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

yep! Im responsible for a large pool of drool right next to a very trick used speed triple in there- just a bit silly ye have to ask to go in and see! maybe they're going for a more privileged feel, now ducati have swanned in? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Never even been in there....must take a look in when I am getting my tyres on Thurs/Fri.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I wouldnt buy one because its English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

NinjaK wrote: »

Bet you follow the Queen's football teams though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Seriously?.

LMFAO.....I bet you would not shag Cheryl Cole either for the same reason.

Prolly drives a Nissan for a family car that was made in the UK......

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wossack wrote: »
    yea, theres been about 4 shop closures, or franchise changes in as long as Ive owned my bike (~5 years) - wouldnt instill confidence really..

also, being a british make seems to rub some up the wrong way over here.. but sure, what can ye do about them

ah there we go :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i bought one 'coz they are english, but then again so am i........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

thought all the modern Trumps were assembled in Thailand the past few years....including my Thaiumph? :p

Nodster wrote: »
    thought all the modern Trumps were assembled in Thailand the past few years....including my Thaiumph? :p

Only the air cooled Bonnies afaik...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've owned a Sprint ST 955 for 7 years now, do my own work on it and get parts from the internet (Wemoto, World of Triumph and Jack Lilleys are good) so dealers aren't an issue. The Ballymount one is a little over a mile from my house, but I still haven't been in it, so go figure. I've no money for new bike lust so best not to trigger it...

Would buy another in a heartbeat though. Have actually considered picking up a cheap 955 Tiger or similar as a second bike...

They are still rare enough here but getting more common - small bike market here so anything a little unusual gets hard to find. Plenty of good value UK bikes available, the previous owner of mine got it from the UK. I've done it myself before with a Jap bike from a UK dealer, no hassles at all and got a good deal.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

F**k that, wouldn't stop me buying a Trumpet (would de-badge all the 'Butchers Aprons' off it though) :eek: :D;)

MonstaMash wrote: »
    F**k that, wouldn't stop me buying a Trumpet (would de-badge all the 'Butchers Aprons' off it though) :eek: :D;)

LMAO....I never even taught of it till I had it sitting in my garden, hopefully I will have many a happy mile on my T-Bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I'm seriously considering the Triumph Thunderbird Storm as my next ride...

Getting sick of the Big Twinkies/twin-cams & I'm getting too fat for me poor auld Sportster (which I prefer for her agility)...had to beef up the rear shocks lately coz I keep bottoming her out on the speed bumps going into my estate :D :P

I would seriously get a street triple r or a daytona 675r for my weekend ride if I came into money tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I saw a Rocket III in Bray last night, fantastic looking and sounding bike.

I could be very easily be tempted and given time could probably convince myself that it would be perfect for commuting between Greystones and the City Centre!

Seems like Yamaha have a triple in the works too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

This is why I didn't buy a Triumph...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056697991

QDM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Seems like Yamaha have a triple in the works too....
    Already out MT 09 I think its called here and in the US its the FZ 09
    Tasty 850 Triple.

This is why I didn't buy a Triumph...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056697991

QDM.

...tbh it's not why you didn't buy a Triumph. It's why you didn't buy a Triumph from THAT dealer..........

It wasn't the bikes fault.

I daresay if they were selling you a BMW/Honda/Other they'd have done the same thing........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...tbh it's not why you didn't buy a Triumph. It's why you didn't buy a Triumph from THAT dealer..........

It wasn't the bikes fault.

I daresay if they were selling you a BMW/Honda/Other they'd have done the same thing........

I suppose I should have said, "why I couldn't buy a Triumph", that post was more about needing to have a full Honda service history to complete the trade-in. The points made are still valid though, although off topic here, that a FSH for any bike would be next to impossible to supply. My deduction following that event, was that the Triumph dealer didn't really want my bike, no matter how much he said he did!
    BTW, since then, I bought a GS, and after several months I asked again, same dealer, to trade against a new Explorer. This time, my low mileage GS, with a FSH (Joe Duffy), remarkably needed several "bearing" issues fixed, and consequently lost over €500 in trade-in value (which was already way below it's actual worth) ! I consequently took it to be fixed, and the BMW mechanics could not fault the bike. Needless to say, I still don't drive a Triumph. Perhaps the low numbers of Triumphs here in Ireland, has more to do with dealer attitudes and practices, than with any shortage of enthusiasm for the make?

QDM.

I suppose I should have said, "why I couldn't buy a Triumph", that post was more about needing to have a full Honda service history to complete the trade-in. The points made are still valid though, although off topic here, that a FSH for any bike would be next to impossible to supply. My deduction following that event, was that the Triumph dealer didn't really want my bike, no matter how much he said he did!
    BTW, since then, I bought a GS, and after several months I asked again, same dealer, to trade against a new Explorer. This time, my low mileage GS, with a FSH (Joe Duffy), remarkably needed several "bearing" issues fixed, and consequently lost over €500 in trade-in value (which was already way below it's actual worth) ! I consequently took it to be fixed, and the BMW mechanics could not fault the bike. Needless to say, I still don't drive a Triumph. Perhaps the low numbers of Triumphs here in Ireland, has more to do with dealer attitudes and practices, than with any shortage of enthusiasm for the make?

QDM.

Lol, I knew it - they did effectively the same thing on a BMW so.... wow.

Btw did a couple of rear diff bearing replacements on GS'......not as uncommon as you think....btdt..

Ode To The Motorist

dont think its any coincidence, that the only second hand bikes that particular dealer are selling, are the same brands that they sell new..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In fairness, who's going to go to a Triumph dealer to buy a BMW or a Goldwing?

They shouldn't dick you around though, should just say that they won't take certain makes/models as trade-ins.

Trading in is a mug's game anyway as you will always get a better price selling privately and as a cash buyer of the new bike you are well placed to do a deal.

Scrap the cap!

Yeah trading in really really is a last resort.....found that out the hard way trying to trade in a 2009 tricked out FZ6 for a Tiger 1050SE in McCallans!!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I would seriously get a street triple r or a daytona 675r for my weekend ride if I came into money tomorrow.
    If I had a Street Triple R, I'd be using it more than just the weekends !!

• Advertisement

If I had a Street Triple R, I'd be using it more than just the weekends !!

Haha yeah too true....but when I posted that I just bought my new bike so I have to put it into context. :P

Advertisement