Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there demand for unfurnished rented houses.

Options
  • 20-07-2013 7:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

We have a houses that will be ready to rent in 6 weeks.

The houses was left wrecked by previouse tennants but wr are doing It up to the highest standard.

Would you get many people interested in a unfurnished house.

As they might take care of their own furniture.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Is the house suitable for a family? Is it in a location with high rent demand?

We rent our house unfurnished as we had the furniture from a house move but we found it really tough to find an unfurnished house.

So if you find people in a similar situation to us-sold house, renting temporarily while looking for right house then maybe there is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Lyn256 wrote: »
    Is the house suitable for a family? Is it in a location with high rent demand?

We rent our house unfurnished as we had the furniture from a house move but we found it really tough to find an unfurnished house.

So if you find people in a similar situation to us-sold house, renting temporarily while looking for right house then maybe there is!

Yea Rent is very high in the locality.

Its a 3 bed semi detached house. Wed be happy with 1000 a month as we have no responsibility if any of the furniture needs replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Do you mind me asking where abouts it is. I live in an area with high rent demand and 1000 for an unfurnished 3 bed seems a lot.

Anyway to answer tour question I'd say you may get someone, most likely a family who want to.settle for a while. I think you could improve your chances of renting it if you impress on them that you see their tenancy as a long term ( 2 years plus) lease. No one wants to furnish a place and then ship it all out 12 months later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Ill PM u in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Cheers. Your rent is probably grand so. I'm no landlord by the way but I've done my share of house hunting for renting. Best of luck with it. I think with a long term lease you'll be in business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Unfurnished would be in massive demand, particularly in family friendly estates. They are very hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Your market would be families who will never afford a mortgage but are above the social housing bracket... house prices are low so that's not a big market at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Your market would be families who will never afford a mortgage but are above the social housing bracket... house prices are low so that's not a big market at the minute.

Not necessarily, years ago when rental places were scare like now, myself and a few friends in our early 20s houseshared an unfurnished place as it was all we could find. We bought bits and got parents cast offs. It really made us invested in the place and we stayed there years. It's definitely the way to go OP, you will get much more reliable and stable tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not necessarily, years ago when rental places were scare like now, myself and a few friends in our early 20s houseshared an unfurnished place as it was all we could find. We bought bits and got parents cast offs. It really made us invested in the place and we stayed there years. It's definitely the way to go OP, you will get much more reliable and stable tenants.

In some parts of the world, this approach is normal for most rented properties.

It makes for far more stable tenancies overall, less people doing mid-night flits, a functioning market for 2nd hand furniture and appliances, and IMHO more mature people because they have to learn the value of "stuff".

I have a colleague who's just moved his home from an European country to Ireland. He had great difficulty finding an unfurnished place, so ended up putting stuff into storage, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Walker77

I think it is forward thinking to rent your house out unfurnished. There has to be plenty of families who purchased apartments that have started families and need the space. Mortgages are getting harder to get for a lot of working people. it would be a win win for the landlord and the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Unless your absolutely desperate to get it rented right this minute you are lucky enough that you can try renting it unfurnished for (example) 4 weeks on the market. If that doesn't work then you can more easily buy furniture and rent it furnished.

It would be a lot harder to initially rent it furnished and then try renting unfurnished as you'd have to store/dump the furniture in this scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Walker77

I'd could see the need for a management company to buy up houses in sought after areas and rent them out for 5,10,20 year contracts in the future. The tenants could look after the property as if it was their own and put their fingerprint on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

We have a houses that will be ready to rent in 6 weeks.

The houses was left wrecked by previouse tennants but wr are doing It up to the highest standard.

Would you get many people interested in a unfurnished house.

As they might take care of their own furniture.

Thanks.

I lived abroad and a lot of the places we lived in were unfurnished. It was a pain in the a$$ initially because we had to go buy a bed and a fridge(it was very hot in summer so a fridge was vital), but after that we just started accumulating things. We respect other peoples property, but it was great when we were moving out, we didn't have the landlord over quibbling about scuff marks on the coffee table, or stains on the couch, because it was our own couch. That was one of the few places where we got the deposit back.

I am looking for somewhere to stay in Athlone at the moment and we are coming up short. If there was an unfurnished place that would let us rent for 3 months I would take it and go beg/borrow/steal a bed.
    I'd could see the need for a management company to buy up houses in sought after areas and rent them out for 5,10,20 year contracts in the future. The tenants could look after the property as if it was their own and put their fingerprint on it

I could see it happening but tenant rights would have to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its extremely common in German speaking countries and in cities in America where no one buys, but just rents. Its not uncommon to rent an apartment in German with no kitchen and not even basic light fixings. With more and more people renting rather than buying OP I say you should have little difficulty renting the house. You might even get some one who is so stuck for a house they will rent it and furnish it with second hand furniture.

Personally I would prefer to rent unfurnished as you can get decent furniture cheap enough in Ikea. I hate when you see landlords labeling houses are furnished but the bed is from the 1970s and the pine wardrobe is in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I would love to be able to get my hands on an unfurnished property. We would rather have a landlord that would allow the decorating / furnishing to be done by the tenant. Like in Germany. Its a much better system. Who wants to go and sleep on a god knows how old or how manky mattress. Other Peoples soft furnishings should be exactly that IMO. That said unfurnished properties with open landlords are few and far between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

High demand for unfurnished rented places for families.

We sold our house and rented for a year while looking to buy. Unfurnished suited us, choices were limited, but unfurnished was still better standard than furnished.

If it was a student rental I would say they expect furnished, but older professionals and families prefer unfurnished.

Those groups are also more likely to not wreck the place. I'd say go for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I could not rent mine unfurnished at all and had to buy couches,beds etc for it.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I could not rent mine unfurnished at all and had to buy couches,beds etc for it.

Where in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My brother has lived in Germany the last 6 or so years.

Unfurnished is the norm. Along with that when moving out the previous tenant must paint all the walls white and leave them blank for the next incoming tenant.

My brother loves it because it means the apartments are usually very thoroughly clean and a nice fresh paint smell.

My brother has lived in Germany the last 6 or so years.

Unfurnished is the norm. Along with that when moving out the previous tenant must paint all the walls white and leave them blank for the next incoming tenant.

My brother loves it because it means the apartments are usually very thoroughly clean and a nice fresh paint smell.

Plus you get to buy your own bed, and keep it with you when you move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Unfurnished is fantastic. We're in a semi furnished, have our own bed, couches and kitchen table-the landlord even put the cooker in storage when we got our own second hand one.

It's the perfect situation for tenants who are hoping to stay until they get into their own place as you can accumulate furniture for your own property.

You are far more likely to get reliable, long term tenants I would suspect

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For some reason landlords who furnish apartments have a real obsession with glass furniture. Glass dining tables, coffee tables, bedside tables. Absolutely does my head in because they are impossible to keep clean - they get grubby quickly and every speck of dust and dirt shows up.

What I prefer is half-furnished. Comes with beds, sofas, wardrobes, dining table etc (i.e. major items), but not TV areas, coffee tables, lamps, pictures etc. We had to put all the kitchen stuff from our place into storage - all the pots and pans that come with the place cause they were rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You got an unfurnished house for rent? Where - I'd have your hand off for it!!

We're a couple with no kids. I moved here with the contents of my house in London. We're lucky as our landlord is sound and has allowed us to have our own bed, washing machine, mic and 3 piece suite. Some of it has had to be replaced since, but as it's ours - no problem. I would prefer to use our own things TBH. Much nicer and probably better quality than some of the stuff I've seen before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is in Dublin but only a 2 bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

awec wrote: »
    For some reason landlords who furnish apartments have a real obsession with glass furniture. Glass dining tables, coffee tables, bedside tables. Absolutely does my head in because they are impossible to keep clean - they get grubby quickly and every speck of dust and dirt shows up.

What I prefer is half-furnished. Comes with beds, sofas, wardrobes, dining table etc (i.e. major items), but not TV areas, coffee tables, lamps, pictures etc. We had to put all the kitchen stuff from our place into storage - all the pots and pans that come with the place cause they were rubbish.

Why??? I would have wrapped the landlord's stuff nicely and put it in the loft (which is exactly what I've done).

Why on earth would you want to cook and eat from someone else's wares? God only knows where they've been or how they were used. YEUCH!! You can get crockery and cookware cheaply enough from Argos or Ikea, and it would be yours.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why??? I would have wrapped the landlord's stuff nicely and put it in the loft (which is exactly what I've done).

Why on earth would you want to cook and eat from someone else's wares? God only knows where they've been or how they were used. YEUCH!! You can get crockery and cookware cheaply enough from Argos or Ikea, and it would be yours.

We live in an apartment, so have no loft - we just boxed it up and put it in the store cupboard.

We kept the plates they supplied, and the glasses. They went through the dishwasher before we used them though.

But the saucepans were crap. Loose handles etc. A plate is a plate but obviously there's a difference between cheap pans and good pans. We had our own good ones.

But the glass furniture annoys me more. Stainless steel and glass. Every time you set a glass on it it leaves a stain. Every speck of dust shows up. Every time you TOUCH it it shows finger marks. Worst idea ever.

Advertisement