Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat biting while being petted.

• 20-07-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My cat is just over a year old now.

She's very affectionate and always jumping up to be petted etc. She will meow and purr for affection on your lap but will also give little nips and purr and meow for more pets after :P:pac: y

I tried stopping interacting with her completely if she gives a nip/bites but when she returns for more pets, it just keeps happening. Will she always be like this and is it normal for some cats? Maybe it's their way of showing affection too. The bites aren't really sore most of the time but can from time to time.

Any other cats out their with this behaviour and have you being able to control it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I think its love bites. I have a relationship with a neighbours cat and she sometimes love bites me. If she was biting you to hurt you you would really know about it - cats teeth are sharp! With the neighbours cat, she understands "ah ah" to mean "dont do that" so if you have a similar phrase, maybe try it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I think its love bites. I have a relationship with a neighbours cat and she sometimes love bites me. If she was biting you to hurt you you would really know about it - cats teeth are sharp! With the neighbours cat, she understands "ah ah" to mean "dont do that" so if you have a similar phrase, maybe try it?

Yeah was think that's probably it. When it hurts i point my finger at her and say no followed by her reaching out her mouth to try and nip my finger:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Yeah was think that's probably it. When it hurts i point my finger at her and say no followed by her reaching out her mouth to try and nip my finger:D

Aw, she loves you! Im endlessly surprised at the things I am learning from my little cat friend. Ive never had a cat pal before, Im familiar with dogs and what behaviours mean but this is a first for me. I never knew cats were so affectionate, had such food drive (she will sneak up to search the bin!), liked things a bit rough (ie, a hard brush for grooming drives her purring and back arching mad!) or had such pushy little personalities. I must say, Im a cat loving convert!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Cats do this when they have been over-stimulated and have gone over-threshold. It's called petting-induced aggression. Lots of info on it on the interwebz! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

boomerang wrote: »
    Cats do this when they have been over-stimulated and have gone over-threshold. It's called petting-induced aggression. Lots of info on it on the interwebz! :D
    This really; try to keep an eye on her tail (once it start swishing it's time to stop petting) and limit the full back/belly rubbing and focue on scratching her cheeks and head instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

My cat, who passed away 2 years ago sadly (RIP Miss Chief), she used to do this a lot. She was just quite playful and it was the way that she interacted with me. They are playful predators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

When mother cat wants to teach her kittens not to do something or wants to tell them that they did something wrong or unacceptable she uses to tap her kittens' nose between their eyes with her front paw.
    Try to do the same thing with your finger. When she's love-biting you you tap her head between her eyes, she should understand the message in the feline language :D
    I do the same with my cat when she makes me feel her teeth ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

i-wants-belly-rubs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

My white cat. Unfortunately the Blue eyed white cat in the previous posts picture have a tendency to be deaf.

Poor kitty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement