Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 week old baby-dont know how much food to give her

Options
  • 20-07-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hiya everyone, I'm just wondering about how much a 17 week old baby food intake should be and how to wean. I'm totally confused and PHN is no help.
    Her bottle intake is atrocious at the moment that's why I want to start her on solids and she is old enough now.
    So she only drinks 3 bottles I don't know if its because of the heat or herself but if I give her anymore she throws it back up. Last week it was only 6oz but i got in the 4th bottle at times but I was worried so I upped the bottles to 8oz she drinks it no bother except I can't get in the 4th bottke:) since Tuesday I've been giving her baby cereal only in the morning and she loves it. I'm really worried that she's only taking 24oz a day she sleeps the night sometimes she wakes up but settles with a doddee. Can I give her more food as in spoonfeeds what to give her and any advice on the bottles which would be great.
    Advice would be greatly appreciated thank you x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

annettea wrote: »
    Hiya everyone, I'm just wondering about how much a 17 week old baby food intake should be and how to wean. I'm totally confused and PHN is no help.
    Her bottle intake is atrocious at the moment that's why I want to start her on solids and she is old enough now.
    So she only drinks 3 bottles I don't know if its because of the heat or herself but if I give her anymore she throws it back up. Last week it was only 6oz but i got in the 4th bottle at times but I was worried so I upped the bottles to 8oz she drinks it no bother except I can't get in the 4th bottke:) since Tuesday I've been giving her baby cereal only in the morning and she loves it. I'm really worried that she's only taking 24oz a day she sleeps the night sometimes she wakes up but settles with a doddee. Can I give her more food as in spoonfeeds what to give her and any advice on the bottles which would be great.
    Advice would be greatly appreciated thank you x

Also she is on nutramigen(lactose free milk)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

This is based on my experience only (and medical advice may be better) but if she isn't screaming for food she may be ok. My little one is 22 weeks and on four feeds a day with one meal of solids. Doesn't alway finish a bottle.

Try offering boiled water (cooled) for the heat which may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I would get some advice from your GP. There could be an underlying reason for her refusing bottles. 17 weeks seems a bit young for solids. Even when you start weaning, milk is still supposed to be a childs main source of nutrition for the first year. Is she still gaining weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

As others have said op have a chat with gp. My daughter was a nightmare to drink bottles and never drank more than 24 or 25 oz and even that was a struggle. When i introduced solids she loved it and really thrived.
    I tried all types of bottles and milk but i think because she was colicky she had a bad association with them.
    She actually drank better from a beaker than a bottle.
    Have a chat with gp. But try not to worry. If they she is having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and sleeping ok she is obviously a happy baby.
    The worst thing i did was count the oz and stress about how little she drinks and compare her to others.
    Shes now 14.5 months in size 18-23 mnth clothes. Eats like a horse and drinks her milk (cows milk) from beaker.
    I wish i hadnt stressed out as much as once i calmed down it made life so much easier for both of us.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I would get some advice from your GP. There could be an underlying reason for her refusing bottles. 17 weeks seems a bit young for solids. Even when you start weaning, milk is still supposed to be a childs main source of nutrition for the first year. Is she still gaining weight?

Hi I've been to gp over other things they were saying to introduce lactose back into the diet when weaning and to stop worrying so I said I'd talk to the phn cause I had to go for a check up and she was like go back to gp as they're dealing with it so no one is help but she has been weighed and they're happy with her weight. I'd feel like a twat going in again just to be told to stop worrying so I said I'd ask other mothers :) I'm giving her only cereal but your supposed to actually wean them at this age they're really supposed to be fully weaned by 6 months in Ireland. Its just 6 months is a worldwide guideline for countries that have poor food and water standards., that was told to me by a mum who heard off a doctor at yoga ha.
    Can I tell you her routine you might see where I'm going wrong.
    8or9-up cereal 8oz bottle
    2-8oz bottle
    7-8oz bottle
    8.30-bed..

Water is in betweeni know there's long periods without a bottle but she won't take them or will puke it up cos tummy is full.. Thank u x

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

My son is on nutramigen and his bottles at that stage and even now are max 4 or 5 ozs. Reduce the amount of each bottle and give it more often. Has baby got reflux?

I am only reintroducing lactose now at 19 months. Not sure why they are pushing you to reintroduce it so quick.

I personally would not be listening to a go or phn. I think you need advice from a paediatric consultant who also works in conjunction with a dietician.

Suucee wrote: »
    As others have said op have a chat with gp. My daughter was a nightmare to drink bottles and never drank more than 24 or 25 oz and even that was a struggle. When i introduced solids she loved it and really thrived.
    I tried all types of bottles and milk but i think because she was colicky she had a bad association with them.
    She actually drank better from a beaker than a bottle.
    Have a chat with gp. But try not to worry. If they she is having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and sleeping ok she is obviously a happy baby.
    The worst thing i did was count the oz and stress about how little she drinks and compare her to others.
    Shes now 14.5 months in size 18-23 mnth clothes. Eats like a horse and drinks her milk (cows milk) from beaker.
    I wish i hadnt stressed out as much as once i calmed down it made life so much easier for both of us.
    Like your daughter mine use to be in so much pain with wind, I hated feeding her ha. Did u bring her to the doc ? Maybe not a hungry baby or it could be the lactose free milk it tastes yuck but she's been on it since 8 weeks. But I gave her aptimal at 3 months maybe she got the taste for it xx thank you tho x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I'm giving her only cereal but your supposed to actually wean them at this age they're really supposed to be fully weaned by 6 months in Ireland. Its just 6 months is a worldwide guideline for countries that have poor food and water standards., that was told to me by a mum who heard off a doctor at yoga ha.

Water is in betweeni know there's long periods without a bottle but she won't take them or will puke it up cos tummy is full.. Thank u x

This is not true that babies are supposed to be weaned in Ireland at that age. Weaning age guidelines are to do with the development and maturity of the stomach and gut, that's why introducing solids early may contribute to allergies etc. World health organisation guidelines are around 6 months for breast and bottle fed babies.
    Some babies may be ready for solids before 6 months, if your baby can stay in a sitting position unaided and hold their head steady.
    They can co-ordinate their eyes, hands and mouth so that they can look at the food, pick it up and put it in their mouth, all by themselves.They can swallow food and do not stick their tounge out when you put food in then they are

You said that if you try to give her more bottle she throws it up as belly is full, I think that says it all she has enough, maybe her digestive system is a little slower but she gaining weight and drs aren't worried so I wouldn't worry. Unless she is doing all the bits mentioned above then I would hold off on solids.

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    This is not true that babies are supposed to be weaned in Ireland at that age. Weaning age guidelines are to do with the development and maturity of the stomach and gut, that's why introducing solids early may contribute to allergies etc. World health organisation guidelines are around 6 months for breast and bottle fed babies.
    Some babies may be ready for solids before 6 months, if your baby can stay in a sitting position unaided and hold their head steady.
    They can co-ordinate their eyes, hands and mouth so that they can look at the food, pick it up and put it in their mouth, all by themselves.They can swallow food and do not stick their tounge out when you put food in then they are

You said that if you try to give her more bottle she throws it up as belly is full, I think that says it all she has enough, maybe her digestive system is a little slower but she gaining weight and drs aren't worried so I wouldn't worry. Unless she is doing all the bits mentioned above then I would hold off on solids.

The bottles have been like this for the last 3 weeks before the cereal that's why I want to wean her if you get me so I definatly know she's getting enough also she was having less ounces. But I haven't a clue about weaning . Missy has had a great interest in food for awhile we felt so bad eating in front of her looking at us and kind of chewing with her mouth, ha. The phn said fruit one week veg the next but how do u do it. Do u give fruit and vegetables the 2nd week. Or can u do brekkie lunch and dinner so confused .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

The bottles have been like this for the last 3 weeks before the cereal that's why I want to wean her if you get me so I definatly know she's getting enough also she was having less ounces. But I haven't a clue about weaning . Missy has had a great interest in food for awhile we felt so bad eating in front of her looking at us and kind of chewing with her mouth, ha. The phn said fruit one week veg the next but how do u do it. Do u give fruit and vegetables the 2nd week. Or can u do brekkie lunch and dinner so confused .

My phn and gp told me anytime from 16/17 weeks too. But she did say that baby would let you know when he was ready, at the time, I didn't know what they were talking about until it came to the time. He was the same watching every mouthful we took, clapping his lips together, but he was also starting to wake up at night so we started him at 17 weeks or thereabouts.

I gave him the cereal/porridge for the first week or two, then I introduced a second small bowl of it after probably two weeks(from what I can remember)
    I then started to give him nice easy to eat fruits like pureed pear mixed with a little bit of the baby cereals as his second meal, then I just kind of took it from there. They say you should only introduce new foods every 3 days, so that if something isn't agreeing with baby, you can pinpoint it straight away and it lets their system get used to the different foods.

You will know by your baby if they want more. Generally they will only eat what they want. Try spacing out the bottles and not giving them with her spoonfeed. Like a bottle when she wakes up and then give her cereal an hour or two after that and so on. And then maybe just the water with her spoonfeed.

After the first few weeks it gets easier, she can then have lots of pureed fruit and veg and it will be like second nature to both of you :)

Sorry about the essay :)

• Advertisement

Gee_G wrote: »
    My phn and gp told me anytime from 16/17 weeks too. But she did say that baby would let you know when he was ready, at the time, I didn't know what they were talking about until it came to the time. He was the same watching every mouthful we took, clapping his lips together, but he was also starting to wake up at night so we started him at 17 weeks or thereabouts.

I gave him the cereal/porridge for the first week or two, then I introduced a second small bowl of it after probably two weeks(from what I can remember)
    I then started to give him nice easy to eat fruits like pureed pear mixed with a little bit of the baby cereals as his second meal, then I just kind of took it from there. They say you should only introduce new foods every 3 days, so that if something isn't agreeing with baby, you can pinpoint it straight away and it lets their system get used to the different foods.

You will know by your baby if they want more. Generally they will only eat what they want. Try spacing out the bottles and not giving them with her spoonfeed. Like a bottle when she wakes up and then give her cereal an hour or two after that and so on. And then maybe just the water with her spoonfeed.

After the first few weeks it gets easier, she can then have lots of pureed fruit and veg and it will be like second nature to both of you :) r

Sorry about the essay :)
    Think I needed the essay ha thank you, the 3 days sounds perfect cause at the moment lactose isn't agreeing with her that sounds great thank you .. I'll do that with the cereal also great x

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Hey Anneatta, you should pick up a baby weaning book, they usually give a time table of what to give baby and rough times and have all the recipes. I got an old book from a friend but it is brilliant. I've started the little man on solids this week. Some porridge for first 3days then some pear purée the last two days. He is well able for the spoon and always wants more. Loves sitting in his high chair for his spoon feed. I Always give him water with his solids too. Even try if you could find anything on the net that might give you a rough idea of a time table.

elly123 wrote: »
    Hey Anneatta, you should pick up a baby weaning book, they usually give a time table of what to give baby and rough times and have all the recipes. I got an old book from a friend but it is brilliant. I've started the little man on solids this week. Some porridge for first 3days then some pear purée the last two days. He is well able for the spoon and always wants more. Loves sitting in his high chair for his spoon feed. I Always give him water with his solids too. Even try if you could find anything on the net that might give you a rough idea of a time table.

The book sounds brilliant never thought of a book .. Thank you.. Time is going too fast wish time slowed down a bit x

It's such a shame when out phns gives out incorrect advise. The HSE, NHS and WHO all recommend starting around 6 months. Also all the the 'signs' you have listed are not true signs a baby is read for solids. I'll post a link from the NHS that gives really good clear points on what are true weaning signs and what is being mistaken as warning signs.
    Unfortunately I don't think our phns get much new training or if they do they don't implement it and that's why mothers are being given this really outdated info. All babies will be interested in dinner time, they are interested in everything and watch everything we do but that's not a sign they are ready for solids, neither is waking in the night. Around 4 mths most babies go through a sleep regression and this is why they wake.

Just think logically for a minute, if your baby is waking out of hunger or need for extra nutrients, do you think 1-2 tbls of baby rice or potato or carrot is going I give them a huge amount of calories or nutrients? It won't the calorie and nutrientional content is minimul. If you baby already has allergies at this early age it's even more of a reason to delay solids.

My son started to get very unsettled at meal times around 5 months he still had not had any solids but was no longer happy to just sit and watch us eat, so I gave him some weaning spoons and a bowl to play with during our mealtimes and he was happy with this. So maybe you could try that.

Here's the links do have a read they give lots of info
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-infants-toddlers/starting-solids/6-reasons-delay-introducing-solid-food

Hope that helps :)

It's such a shame when out phns gives out incorrect advise. The HSE, NHS and WHO all recommend starting around 6 months. Also all the the 'signs' you have listed are not true signs a baby is read for solids. I'll post a link from the NHS that gives really good clear points on what are true weaning signs and what is being mistaken as warning signs.
    Unfortunately I don't think our phns get much new training or if they do they don't implement it and that's why mothers are being given this really outdated info. All babies will be interested in dinner time, they are interested in everything and watch everything we do but that's not a sign they are ready for solids, neither is waking in the night. Around 4 mths most babies go through a sleep regression and this is why they wake.

Just think logically for a minute, if your baby is waking out of hunger or need for extra nutrients, do you think 1-2 tbls of baby rice or potato or carrot is going I give them a huge amount of calories or nutrients? It won't the calorie and nutrientional content is minimul. If you baby already has allergies at this early age it's even more of a reason to delay solids.

My son started to get very unsettled at meal times around 5 months he still had not had any solids but was no longer happy to just sit and watch us eat, so I gave him some weaning spoons and a bowl to play with during our mealtimes and he was happy with this. So maybe you could try that.

Here's the links do have a read they give lots of info
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-infants-toddlers/starting-solids/6-reasons-delay-introducing-solid-food

Hope that helps :)

Phns some are awful my one gives me different information or brushes me off, when breastfeeding she said they Dont need to be winded.. Always finds something to give out about..
    I read the articles she has most signs for weaning, shell take the spoon from me and put it in her mouth(could be beginners luck). Spitting out food is normal at the start though its in the leaflet.

Yep I've had some pretty awful 'advice' about breast feeding too, best to ignore it. Is she sitting up by herself? This is one of the most important and sure ways to show she's ready. Also the tongue will not come out even slightly when something is put in or near the mouth.
    In the end it's your own decision in when you start to give solids but from what you have posted about the throwing up bottles and allergy I would be holding off for a little while, your baba is only just 4 months old :)

Yep I've had some pretty awful 'advice' about breast feeding too, best to ignore it. Is she sitting up by herself? This is one of the most important and sure ways to show she's ready. Also the tongue will not come out even slightly when something is put in or near the mouth.
    In the end it's your own decision in when you start to give solids but from what you have posted about the throwing up bottles and allergy I would be holding off for a little while, your baba is only just 4 months old :)

I know she feels older! :) how do I get more into her, she ate a nice bowl of cereal today yo be honest I Dont think she likes the lactose free milk but they told me to gradually introduce lactose when weaning . I might try the comfort hopefully she'll be OK.. She has great head control and can sit up but obviously not unaided she loves holding onto my hands and get up(not the same no) ha thank u x

To be honest and don't take this the wrong way but there's nothing to worry about she's taking her bottles, she's gaining weight, hitting her milestones so there really is no need to worry and no need to be trying to get more into her. She has enough with what she has and she's developing fine with it so I'd just leave it the way it is. Your doing a great job and there's no need to worry, easier said than done I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

elly123 wrote: »

Hi Annettea, I had no idea you're little one was in lactose free formula. We just started ours on it about a week ago. Not to interfere with advice you've already gotten from your gp but I found nutramigen pretty grim stuff and baby wasn't mad about it. Gp told me to try SMa lactose free and he's much much better on that. Could you chat to gp about maybe trying that? Like elly we're also on solids and he loves them but they're still v small portions and he's on all his regular bottles.

Phns some are awful my one gives me different information or brushes me off, when breastfeeding she said they Dont need to be winded.. Always finds something to give out about..
    I read the articles she has most signs for weaning, shell take the spoon from me and put it in her mouth(could be beginners luck). Spitting out food is normal at the start though its in the leaflet.

Its such a pity your phn is not helpful to you, I find mine fantastic and extremely helpful.
    Also, it was her and two female doctors in the practice I go to that told me anytime from 16/17 weeks is fine to start weaning, so, I don't know.

• Advertisement

Its such a pity your phn is not helpful to you, I find mine fantastic and extremely helpful.
    Also, it was her and two female doctors in the practice I go to that told me anytime from 16/17 weeks is fine to start weaning, so, I don't know.

This annoys me so much, there is a huge amount of research showing the dangers of introducing solids too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Babies are supposed to be weaned as near to 6 months as possible. The info being given out by doctors & phns is old & outdated. Definitely much better for the babies gut to hold off as long as possible. We started at exactly 6 months & am aiming to do the same with the next one.

This annoys me so much, there is a huge amount of research showing the dangers of introducing solids too early.

That wasn't a dig at you! :)
    If it is bad for the babies why most medical professionals are saying its fine is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

If it is bad for the babies why most medical professionals are saying its fine is beyond me!

Apparently they're all working off very old guidelines. As far as I know new guidelines were issued, but either people aren't going with them, or else they didn't get them. All the allergy issues etc. that people bandy about saying that solids have to introduced much earlier than 6 months to prevent allergies, have been discredited. Introducing solids at 6 months or later is especially important for exclusively breastfed babies, as they have a virgin (open) gut until that stage which has only had breastmilk up until then & is full of antibodies etc., This doesn't close up until around 6 months, hence why you should wait til then. Formula fed babies have obviously been fed with something other than breastmilk up until this time, so their gut is no longer virginal.

It's the same as the weight charts. There used to be 1 for breastfed & 1 for bottlefed babies, but a lot of the PHN's were just using the bottlefed ones, hence causing consternation to breatfeeding mothers about why their babies weren't heavy enough. New charts were distributed last year, but when my little one was weighed last time they were still using the old one. When I questioned it, they said, oh yeah I think we got that, but don't use it!!! The new ones are based around breastfed babies, as a lot of formula fed babies are being overfed, leading to childhood obesity.

Didn't take it like that at all :) and I hope I don't offend anyone either.
    It is beyond me too but it seems to be a big problem here in Ireland. I have friends living in the north, uk, Sweden, Norway, Germany and Australia and all of them got the advice that starting solids was dangerous and 4 months is too young. So I don't know why the HCPs in Ireland go against such a strong body of research and continue to recommend starting solids at 4 months and even before.

We started our lil man on solids at 15 weeks as he had terrible reflux. Phn actually encouraged it and, desperate to help him, I caved. I bitterly regret it and would never go it again. I'm not saying I'd have held out until 6 months but I would have probably gone until 20 or so. I'm sort of annoyed at phn for encouraging a first time vulnerable mum to do the wrong thing.

Yellowhen what's done is done so don't feel bad you took the advice of a health professional, someone who is supposed to be specialised in infant care and they gave you bad advice, not your fault at all. You can just take it from here and make sure your lo gets a good diet from now on, please don't feel bad.

I would really encourage you to make an offical compliant about this phn and her advice it's really shocking and she will keep giving this bad advice to new mums unless you report it. You can report it through the HSE your say service on the HSE website http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/yourhealthservice/feedback/Complaint/
    It only takes a minute but will really make a difference to other mums who see this phn :)

Yellowhen what's done is done so don't feel bad you took the advice of a health professional, someone who is supposed to be specialised in infant care and they gave you bad advice, not your fault at all. You can just take it from here and make sure your lo gets a good diet from now on, please don't feel bad.

I would really encourage you to make an offical compliant about this phn and her advice it's really shocking and she will keep giving this bad advice to new mums unless you report it. You can report it through the HSE your say service on the HSE website http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/yourhealthservice/feedback/Complaint/
    It only takes a minute but will really make a difference to other mums who see this phn :)

Thanks hobbit feet.
    While I'm at it I'll also complain about them incorrectly weighing my son TWICE and for telling me to give him weatabix at 4months old!! (In this instance I ignored their advice!)

Include everything :) do you have the name of the phn who said to start solids? Make sure you give the name :)

• Advertisement

Include everything :) do you have the name of the phn who said to start solids? Make sure you give the name :)

I know all their first names (I've seen five to date!) but not surnames. Wouldn't be hard to find out though.

Advertisement