Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 week old baby-dont know how much food to give her

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thanks hobbit feet.
    While I'm at it I'll also complain about them incorrectly weighing my son TWICE and for telling me to give him weatabix at 4months old!! (In this instance I ignored their advice!)

What dreadful advice - no gluten until 6 months... Ridiculous advice being given by so many phn's, its shocking that they're still spouting such bad advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

Since were giving out about phns how I get a 2nd opinion .. Or a gp or how do I get her seen by a paediatrician cause no one has diagnosed her with lactose intolerance they keep telling me to change her back to lactose milk cause she cant be on nutragimin for long as its for colic but I know for a fact there's something wrong as today she only had 2 bottles of comfort milk, is passing lots of wind, was crying there until now her bedtime is 8.30 I'm scared for her nappy in the morning. Obv I'm not going to give her anymore, but if I bring her to go, hell tell me not to worry try again next month said it to phn and she was like well your gp is dealing with it...
    im well confused about this 4-6 months weaning there's food jars out there for 4 months also recipes in SuperValu for 4 months, they really should get rid of them..
    Yellow hen I've heard of babies been weaned at 15 weeks with reflux ,obviously were going to take health care professionals advice cos at the end of the day we think they're god and know everything ha! Why is your little man on lactose free ? Any change ? I might give the sma one a try is it more expensive? Is he 20 weeks now or 21.. Where's our babies gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Oh Annette, I feel for you with the crying baby. My lil man had chronic wind every night and was constipated on top of it. We tried so many things and in the end our go suggested he might be lactose sensitive (intolerance would present itself with bad diarrhoea and a rash etc). She recommended the SMS lactose free as its quite light and like aptimil first milk or breast milk. It's €6.25 a tin which is about half the size of a regular formula tin. We have seen a marked improvement since he started it. If she's already on nutramigen and doesn't like it, I'd give it a go. If you do decide to wean her, take it slowly in case she can't digest the solids properly. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Oh annetta i really feel for you. It's not easy when the HCPs around you are no help.
    Why don't you look for a new gp? You can make appointments to see a gp to discuss whether or not you would like to be a patient and discuss your babies problems. Find one that you like before deciding. It can be expensive though if you don't have medial card or insurance.

Let us know how you get on :)

Oh Annette, I feel for you with the crying baby. My lil man had chronic wind every night and was constipated on top of it. We tried so many things and in the end our go suggested he might be lactose sensitive (intolerance would present itself with bad diarrhoea and a rash etc). She recommended the SMS lactose free as its quite light and like aptimil first milk or breast milk. It's €6.25 a tin which is about half the size of a regular formula tin. We have seen a marked improvement since he started it. If she's already on nutramigen and doesn't like it, I'd give it a go. If you do decide to wean her, take it slowly in case she can't digest the solids properly. Let us know how you get on.
    I might sound like a bad mum but before she was 8 weeks she had runny nappies I thought she was weeing on top of dirty nappy but I told them when I changed her back to lactose milk at 3 months she had runny nappies he said wait till u wean and gradually introduce,
    Sma lf is a lot cheaper than nutamigen, is 11.25 .. Have u been on it long? I remember giving Katelyn nutragimen at 8 weeks the 4th day she slept and slept that never happened before that! Is his reflux still there? Just remember it won't be always like this :) x I really can't imagine what you were going through for this long! It must have been hard, hope u have lots of support x

• Advertisement

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Oh annetta i really feel for you. It's not easy when the HCPs around you are no help.
    Why don't you look for a new gp? You can make appointments to see a gp to discuss whether or not you would like to be a patient and discuss your babies problems. Find one that you like before deciding. It can be expensive though if you don't have medial card or insurance.

Let us know how you get on :)

Oh This is worse again, I'm living in a new town found this gp as a reccomendation online. He is very good and really easy to talk to! just I Dont think he knows about what I'm going through. He is supposed to be the best. He says I worry too much .I could go with my gut really and just give her a lactose free diet..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Isn't the lactose free milk just cows milk with lactose extracted / eliminated. If so, is baby not too young for cows milk. Dietician told me not to bother with that at 16 months mark. I suggest you stick with the nutramigen, don't chop.and change and introduce easy foods slowly.

My son is on nutramigen for 15 months now. Throw money at this problem. Go straight to a good paediatrician.

If you don't want to change GP & feel you may want to hold off on solids for another few weeks, then just nod & agree with doctor/phn and do your own thing. There just doesn't seem to be any follow on training for them, they were trained one way & that's the only way they know. My doctor said to me when my little one was 17 weeks, sure you could start her on baby rice now. I said no, I'll wait til she's 6 months. Next visit he asked was she on solids, again I said no, she'll get them at 6 months. At the health centre breastfeeding group I heard a phn advising someone they could start solids now the baby was 17/18 weeks, but thankfully I had investigated the matter thoroughly & am also in a few great online groups so was able to decided myself on the best approach.

I also did baby led weaning and 6 months is key to this. You can possibly start a week or 2 early, but things like tongue thrust which you mentioned earlier (baby pushing food out of their mouth), should be totally gone, as that's a sign that your baby isn't ready for food. They should be sitting up unaided, or almost & be grabbing food off your plate and actually getting into their mouth, not just grabbing like its a toy. I know some people that have waited til 7 & 8 months to give their babies solids, so there really isn't a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I brought A for her 3 Montg develop check today a d the phn started talking about weaning. She stressed that as a breastfeeding mother I wait until 6 months but she said for formula babies it's 17 weeks. Then she started talking about spoons of baby rice at 6 months and how everything still had to be puréed and I wasn't to skip the purees as the baby would just spit the food out because she'd never have had lumps so wouldn't know what to do with them.

Suffice to say I just sat there, nodded my head and made the right noises but I'll be doing blw this time around too.

I brought A for her 3 Montg develop check today a d the phn started talking about weaning. She stressed that as a breastfeeding mother I wait until 6 months but she said for formula babies it's 17 weeks. Then she started talking about spoons of baby rice at 6 months and how everything still had to be puréed and I wasn't to skip the purees as the baby would just spit the food out because she'd never have had lumps so wouldn't know what to do with them.

Suffice to say I just sat there, nodded my head and made the right noises but I'll be doing blw this time around too.

They really don't have a clue. How is anyone supposed to know what do do with lumps until they try them. Why delay the inevitable. I know people that didn't try lumps til 9/10/12 months & had the exact same issues as people had when trying at 6 months - baby gagging etc. We only had it for about 2 weeks & then she learned what she was supposed to do. I know a girl that pureed for months & now her little fella who's 21 months gets sick everytime she gives him lumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Had the same advice. We did blw and have had zero issues. I know parents still spoonfeeding 15 month olds because they can't bear lumpy foods. Our LO hasn't had any problems and eats whatever is put before her. I don't know why the processed baby rice rubbish is all they can suggest, surely other options should be discussed.
    Will be doing blw with number two.

I personally would not substitute advice from online forums for medical advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

CaraMay wrote: »

I'd be questioning the bad and totally incorrect advice even if its from a medical professional. I would also go and research or learn more about any advice given on Internet forums before I took it :)

I wouldn't either, but I wouldn't take blatantly outdated & inaccurate advice from doctors & phns either. I'd do my own research, which thankfully I did & realised that the best way forward to was to grin & nod when they spout wrong information.

Strange logic given that the research you are reading is most likely from medical professionals as well. So you are taking the view of a small number of medical professionals over the majority of experienced medical professionals while justifying your decisions on the basis of internet discussions...

Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

In 2009 I was told by phn and gp not to wean till 6 months. So much so I felt bad weaning at 5 months

In 2011 I was told by phn and gp that the new information was that bottle fed babies can be weaned at 16 weeks if the signs were there that the child was ready.

So the information does change and isn't out dated. ..not from my sources anyhow.

Every baby is different and you cant apply a blanket rule. My first was fine without for 5 months. ..my second was chompingat the table and was weaned at 17 wweeks. ..he was finishing every bottle and would never go 2.5/3 hours without a feed. People on here were telling me it was a growth spurt, he wasn't ready, my gp was wrong. But I knew myself he was ready and once weaning was established we never looked back.

Strange logic given that the research you are reading is most likely from medical professionals as well. So you are taking the view of a small number of medical professionals over the majority of experienced medical professionals while justifying your decisions on the basis of internet discussions...

Each to their own.

I've been told by both paediatricians & PHN's that the information given out by a lot of others is incorrect & has been revised, but that they're not taking it on board or not being passed on the information. As you can see below, the HSE are recommending in & around 6 months, so therefore that should prove that is the official line they all should be giving, not outdated information. One of the main reasons to delay solids that a babies gut simply is not ready. You may think that all was fine, but problems can manifest themselves as the child gets older or even into adulthood, so why take the chance.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/B/Babies,-weaning/

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/25/too-early-solid-food-could-lead-to-problems-for-babies/

Annettea, how are you getting on now?

Hi everyone :) thank you all for your advice, I went into the chemist and talked to a pharmacist this is going to sound ridiculous but he was a lot more help than the phn. I said about the bottles and he looked at her and told me there is nothing to worry about, he said her arms and legs and face are chubby so she's getting enough. He told me about the sma lf is no good as if she had an allergy nutramagin would be best, and he knows its expensive. I think I should get a discount with all the tins I buy ha!
    Im also going to keep weaning her as she seems to enjoy it and since she's a bottle fed baby its supposed to be fine after 17 weeks breastfed babies must get more nutrients from the milk. I know they did research but can I say this I'm sure we were all weaned at 4 months and I'm sure were OK. (Dont give out) I'm totally not going to give gluten before 6 months cos I noticed a lot of people are celiac.. I'll give them that. But they keep changing things next year they could say not to wean till 8 months. Than were all doomed haha..
    Also thank u for your advice on how to wean, greatly appreciated
    Yellow hen how u getting on with the new milk?

I swear by pharmacists and I'd always go to one before I'd go to the doctor if I've got a small query with the kids or myself. We've got a fantastic one beside us.

• Advertisement

I swear by pharmacists and I'd always go to one before I'd go to the doctor if I've got a small query with the kids or myself. We've got a fantastic one beside us.

I never thought of a pharmacist, I just went in asking about the sma lf and than he helped me with everything.. Brilliant!!

annettea wrote: »
    I never thought of a pharmacist, I just went in asking about the sma lf and than he helped me with everything.. Brilliant!!

I would always go to the pharmacist too. The SMa lf had done wonders for us... It's like someone handed us a happy, giggling version of the baby we'd known up to now! He's still waking at night, not sure if its habit or because he rolls over and gets stuck, but he's never hysterical with wind anymore and poos at least twice a day rather than once every 4/5 days!!!!

So have you changed formula Annette? What's she on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Good to hear baby is much better YH.

Did you ladies have your 3mth development checks with PHN?

I haven't heard from mine and I left a voicemail when Sean turned 3mths. He's 4mths now! My PHN went on maternity leave when baby was 3weeks she was lovely but appointed a new one and I have no faith in them. The two times I rang with queries I felt I was been fobbed off and told I was due back with gp so let him deal with the prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

elly123 wrote: »

I haven't heard from mine and I left a voicemail when Sean turned 3mths. He's 4mths now! My PHN went on maternity leave when baby was 3weeks she was lovely but appointed a new one and I have no faith in them. The two times I rang with queries I felt I was been fobbed off and told I was due back with gp so let him deal with the prob.

Do you have a walk-in clinic??
    I got a letter to say my phn was going maternity leave so I wouldn't get called for my son's 18-24 month check but I could just go to the walk-in clinic for that or any other quiries.

Definitely follow up with them and make sure they give you the 3 month check up as there's some important things to be checked like their hearing, eye sight and hips.

I would always go to the pharmacist too. The SMa lf had done wonders for us... It's like someone handed us a happy, giggling version of the baby we'd known up to now! He's still waking at night, not sure if its habit or because he rolls over and gets stuck, but he's never hysterical with wind anymore and poos at least twice a day rather than once every 4/5 days!!!!

So have you changed formula Annette? What's she on now?

Oh yellow Hen say your so happy. It must of been very stressful for the past 20something weeks I was going cuckoo by the 8Th week. So happy his not in pain no more x didn't change formula keeping her on nutramigin he told me to keep her on it and when she's eating more and more I can start to introduce lactose gradually xx

Ah Elly keep ringing them that's awful of them. I think they like to fob us off on doctor.. its important to get the checks.

Going to ring PHN in morning and tell them I want check up!

Seems like solids are now not agreeing with the little man. I had only been giving him a spoonful of porridge mid morning and he was loving it..... well so I taught... Around 6pm he would kick off like he was having a tantrum, get really really distressed and nothing would help soothe him this happened 3 times last week. I haven't giving him anything other than formula since sat and he's like a different child so good and no getting distressed or crying other than the norm when hungry and sometimes when tired!
    I'm going to speak with gp or PHN and see what they recommend. I'm happy enough to avoid solids for as long as possible if they are going to have that effect on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Going to ring PHN in morning and tell them I want check up!

Seems like solids are now not agreeing with the little man. I had only been giving him a spoonful of porridge mid morning and he was loving it..... well so I taught... Around 6pm he would kick off like he was having a tantrum, get really really distressed and nothing would help soothe him this happened 3 times last week. I haven't giving him anything other than formula since sat and he's like a different child so good and no getting distressed or crying other than the norm when hungry and sometimes when tired!
    I'm going to speak with gp or PHN and see what they recommend. I'm happy enough to avoid solids for as long as possible if they are going to have that effect on him.

Similar happened to us when we started little man on solids. We started at 17 weeks and I think we probably should have waited til 5 months as he got constipated, upset tummy, windy etc off and on.
    Went through major gaggy phase for a few months around 7months when I was introducing lumps but then got through it. Didn't actually try any blw til he was about 9 months (wish I'd tried it sooner). But now he takes spoon feeds and blw foods.

• Advertisement

Mink wrote: »
    Similar happened to us when we started little man on solids. We started at 17 weeks and I think we probably should have waited til 5 months as he got constipated, upset tummy, windy etc off and on.
    Went through major gaggy phase for a few months around 7months when I was introducing lumps but then got through it. Didn't actually try any blw til he was about 9 months (wish I'd tried it sooner). But now he takes spoon feeds and blw foods.

I was at gp today for 4mth needles and I mentioned the solids and the crying/tantrums later in the evening. She said to leave him and try again in a few weeks she just said its not important now but by 6 months he should be on solids. I think I'll try the BLW.

The amount of ppl that are horrified that I don't have him on solids is crazy..... Yesterday I had an aunty who was shocked that he wasnt on solids she told me he must be starving.... My response was does he look starving??? She mentioned a friends baby who was born 2days after my lo that she's on solids and has 2teeth and didn't have any problem. My little mam is suffering with his gums the last 6/7 weeks with no sign of a tooth and solids are not suiting him just yet..... I felt like telling her to mind her own business. Really annoys me!

Advertisement