Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caha Mountains - Hungry Hill? or the Sugarloaf?

Options
  • 20-07-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Now, still very early days for me with my climbing and was advised to take on a 'proper mountain perhaps above 600m in height' and I would like to hit Cork next on my travels over the Mountains :)

As an newbie, would people prefer the Hungry Hill @685m or the Sugarloaf @574m. I've split days off work this coming week and have been covering ground with my cycles and walks recently, but would like to get back climbing again this week to break up the monotonous and stretch my legs & back some more.

Out of the above two; which have you covered and which of the Caha Mountain Range would you take on/recommend a newbie take on?

Many Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

Comments

Hungry Hill much easier to access. Hungry Hill on a clear day has some of the finest scenery in the country. Sugarloaf looks great, has great views too, but is a long walk from Barley Lake over.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

The shorter route up Sugarloaf is easier and safer navigation than Hungry Hill, something to bear in mind if the weather is a bit foggy etc. Good views from top. You come up from the Glengarriff to Castletownbere road.
    If you want to do a bigger walk the route over Shrone Hill is a much longer alternative.

Can't comment on Hungry Hill as, for ever varied reasons, I've never been up there :(

I've had access issues there on the road that leads from Glengarriff itself, was politely told "no walking through my land", which of course is fair enough. Hence only did it from Barley lake side, plus wanted to bag Nareera, Glenkeel etc. Think navigating on HH should be okay, there is a lot of white paint on rocks and markers marking the main route from the south side. However, there are some very steep faces on it, one would be advised to stay away from the cliffs on the east without come experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

I've had access issues there on the road that leads from Glengarriff itself, was politely told "no walking through my land", which of course is fair enough.

Good to know.
    I was following the route descriptions from Barry Keane's book "40 walks and scrambles, The Beara, Sheeps Head & Mizen Peninsulas" But that was published in 1997!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thanks so much ^^^ for your replies here, Much Appreciated! :) Most people are edging me toward the Sugarloaf, but the scrambling is enticing me to the Hungry Hill.

Still un-decided but right now, I am preparing for both and will decide on the day pending weather conditions. Fortunately, both are located relatively close anyways!

Thanks again,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
Advertisement