Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice spot to swim co.clare?

• 20-07-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a nice place to swim within an hour of ennis.
    Not lahinch or kilkee but any other less known areas? Maybe a nice lake or similar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

Try the White Strand in Miltown. Only 30 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Balagan wrote: »

Two-mile-gate Killaloe is lovely spot but I would suggest pick your time carefully. It can be extremely busy there especially during lovely weather like this. And while most people attending there are nice, there can be a very nasty intimidating element there too. Also jet skis are used widely there, and some users can be less than thoughtful to other water users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I like Spanish Point best myself.

Went to Fanore the other day wasn't a huge fan of it. Lots of little rocks all over the place in the shallows cut my foot up a fair bit on the way out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

No lifeguards, but my friends and I really like Dromore lake and also the lake on the right hand side as you drive from Quin to Kilmurry. Both are quiet, and the last few weeks the water has been so pleasant and warm. Far more enjoyable an experience than Lahinch and the likes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Seafield Beach in Quilty is a relatively untapped paradise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

dmc17 wrote: »
    Try the White Strand in Miltown. Only 30 minutes :)
    +1 on that,also try white strand in doonbeg,fantastic clean beach also.
    not a fan of kilkee myself always found the beach filthy and still is,lahinch might be a bit rough for swimming but great for surfing,spanish point,spotless beach and calm water, drive around a bit,west clare is lovely. dave limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Seafield Beach in Quilty is a relatively untapped paradise

Nice beach but is it just me or are there always flies around there?

Fanore is a lovely beach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Spanish point is lovely but u need to be very careful there and stay well within the flags the lifeguards have marked out. there can be strong current there from time to time .White strand is absolutely glorious, very kid friendly and you wont swim in a safer beach in my opinion... and there a lifeguard on duty in summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Clahaghn(not sure of the spelling) just past Liscannor is a good swimming spot and usually not too busy though it does get packed after 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

White Strand is nice and there's a swimming place along the cliff with steps leading down, Kerin's Hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chroi

daveob007 wrote: »
    +1 on that,also try white strand in doonbeg,fantastic clean beach also.
    not a fan of kilkee myself always found the beach filthy and still is,lahinch might be a bit rough for swimming but great for surfing,spanish point,spotless beach and calm water, drive around a bit,west clare is lovely. dave limerick.

This, Miltown and Doonbeg are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Unfortunately the best beaches are the worst, due to overcrowding & rubbish strewn everywhere. The one thing to beware of is cross-currents. Just follow the local guide lines... to the letter! ..dont chance your arm. You'll be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

rambojon wrote: »
    Spanish point is lovely but u need to be very careful there and stay well within the flags the lifeguards have marked out. there can be strong current there from time to time .White strand is absolutely glorious, very kid friendly and you wont swim in a safer beach in my opinion... and there a lifeguard on duty in summer months.

Agree on Spanish Point, great spot but the tide sweeps in very quickly and the currents are strong
    buck65 wrote: »

Ive been to Seafield a few times and haven't found any problems with flies. Maybe I've been fortunate

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

buck65 wrote: »

That's the North Beach (Seafield) when there's lots of rotting seaweed around (the birds love it!) - it's fine at the moment (or at least it was yesterday).

You don't usually get the same problem with the West Beach as the seaweed doesn't collect there in such large amounts and tends to get washed away more frquently when it does whereas it can hang around for months on the North Beach given certain weather conditions.

Advertisement