Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

van conversions for horses

Options
  • 20-07-2013 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi just wondering has anyone seen these renault or similar horse van conversion apparently 3.5 tonne and carries two horses rear facing. Any opinions would it be better purchase than a jeep and trailer. Have these already but looking to trade up. Pros or cons on them versus trailer thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

roxychix wrote: »
    Hi just wondering has anyone seen these renault or similar horse van conversion apparently 3.5 tonne and carries two horses rear facing. Any opinions would it be better purchase than a jeep and trailer. Have these already but looking to trade up. Pros or cons on them versus trailer thanks in advance

Any ive seen in Ireland are really expensive. I too would like one so I could drive a normal car rather than 4x4. Be careful with 3.5t weight limit if you'll be carrying two horses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Guess it all depends if you have somewhere to park it when not in use and depends on whether you'd have to have a car as well as the van, if so you'd have additional insurance & road tax as well as running costs & up keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 zedweb

I used to have a Renault Master van that had been converted. It was rather old but it was fantastic. I sold it a few years ago when I retired the horse. Even though it was old and didn't even have power steering, it was brilliant. At the moment, I borrow my friends one. She has the fancier coachbuilt type and it's like driving a car. They really are brilliant. Dead easy to maneuver and reverse.

I'm now looking for a new horse and also a new horse van! So it's safe to say I highly recommend them! Having said that - I've never pulled a horsebox as I'd have to get a towing license etc etc.

Advertisement