Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I change a static IP address?

• 21-07-2013 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

My old IP use to be a dynamic IP back when I had my old eircom modem. Now that I got upgraded to fiber its saying i have a static IP that wont change. Is there any way to get this changed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

You can call ISP and ask to change it and explain why, you can't on your own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

Did you request a Static IP address, AFAIK, there's a surcharge on Static IP addresses so can't see why your provider would give you one unless in error or requested.

In any case, contact your supplier and sort it out directly with them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Wambo wrote: »
    My old IP use to be a dynamic IP back when I had my old eircom modem. Now that I got upgraded to fiber its saying i have a static IP that wont change. Is there any way to get this changed?

A static IP is an IP that (as you've said) doesn't change. Now usually this would be sought-after for several reasons, such as hosting servers and the fact that your IP is less likely to be blacklisted.

Ask your provder if they'll do a dynamic ip if you really want one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wambo wrote: »

Unless you requested a static it'll change in about a week and continue to change every reboot after that. With new eFibre connections you get a provisional IP for a short period before joining normal assigning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

What's the big deal with having a static IP? This is generally regarded as a positive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Wambo

Thanks the replies. But yeah somehow it changed for me. Even though it still says it's static. Only reason I worry about having a static IP is because of IP flooders lol

Advertisement