Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchies vs Jackeen's

Options
  • 21-07-2013 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

Why is there such a division between the two, I've often pondered it growing up in a small Tipperary town. I remember Tipp played Dublin in the 2011 All Ireland semi final and every one in my local club scoffed and said those fcuking Jackeens aren't able to hurl. The fact they were Dubs seemed to incense certain people.

But then you have culchies who go to college in Dublin and immerse themselves in the city and pick up the UCD/Trinner Mid Atlantic accent. I've lived in it and enjoyed myself. There's some real characters out there.

I think the culchies have a bit of an inferiority complex.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

*Insert comment insulting culchies*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

It'd be like explaining the the difference between Jackie Healy Rae and David Norris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Jackeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

All comes back to cellular level.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

People from Dublin do not think about. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

People from Dublin do not think about. End of.

People from dublin think about it more than us culchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's a bit simple to say Dublin people and all culchies. I think both Dubliners and Culchies from others counties can find some common ground in disliking Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Dubs resent culchies cause we spend the early part of our lives being bossed around by them (nGardai, teachers, at least one parent). Culchies resent us because as much of a hellhole as Dublin is, deep down they know its better than the poxy little village they live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Dubs resent culchies cause we spend the early part of our lives being bossed around by them (nGardai, teachers, at least one parent). Culchies resent us because as much of a hellhole as Dublin is, deep down they know its better than the poxy little village they live in.

Not everyone outside of dublin live in villages or are farmers. I always think its funny when a dub says 'Go feed you cows' to anyone who doesn't live in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It'd be like explaining the the difference between Jackie Healy Rae and David Norris.

The family of David Norris hail from Co. Laois if I'm not mistaken, and he himself was born in the Congo.

You'll have to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Not everyone outside of dublin live in villages or are farmers. I always think its funny when a dub says 'Go feed you cows' to anyone who doesn't live in Dublin.

To which you reply "I already fed yer Ma, do you want me to feed her again" ...and then the fight starts.

Yeah, but they don't like in a sprawling, multicultural metropolis like us

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Watch how many bitter people will log on to bitch about Dublin then. ;) Don't forget most Dubliners holiday all over the island, but most rural folk won't holiday in Dublin.
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The family of David Norris hail from Co. Laois if I'm not mistaken, and he himself was born in the Congo.

So what? The capital has lots of adopted people from everywhere in the world that ad to the city and it's culture. And they are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Have you noticed how quickly culchies (particularly girls) adopt the D4 accent as soon as they spend some time in Dublin. They can't wait to shake off their culchie heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Watch how many bitter people will log on to bitch about Dublin then. ;) Don't forget most Dubliners holiday all over the island, but most rural folk won't holiday in Dublin.

So what? The capital has lots of adopted people from everywhere in the world that ad to the city and it's culture. And they are welcome.

Cork is the real capital. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

oldyouth wrote: »
    Have you noticed how quickly culchies (particularly girls) adopt the D4 accent as soon as they spend some time in Dublin. They can't wait to shake off their culchie heritage.
    That's called infiltration. They then destroy the scumbag gene in the Jackeens by marrying one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dubs resent culchies cause we spend the early part of our lives being bossed around by them (nGardai, teachers, at least one parent).
    One parent? Pfft blow in. If any of your great grandparents were from beyond the Pale, get outa my town. :D
    +1, could never get this one either. There's a bit of a gulf between a suburban Corkonian and someone living up a boreen in Leitrim. These days with communications being soooo much better that gulf if it exists is tiny. It's not so long ago you'd have houses with no phones or even electricity outside the cities. In my lifetime there was quite the cultural diff between the urban and the very rural.

I have noticed resentment between the two groups alright. I found more coming from Culchies though. I would say there was an inferiority complex thing going on, especially back in the day. One that was fostered by the townies though and that is were the resentment lies(and understandably so).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Big time. And despise and fear the working class. They are the social Nuevo riche

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That has a loooong history. On the back of the large migration from rural Ireland to the cities(particularly Dublin) back in the 50's and 60's, Ireland had the highest number of elocution teachers in the west. Mammies and daddies eager to dilute the record of their background in their kids, particularly their daughters(women are more socially mobile). First the aped an odd received english home counties accent, then threw the mid Atlantic drawl in somewhere in the mid 80's. After shíte like the Hills series there was an accent arms race among young women to see who could sound as nasally drawn out as possible.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I will admit speaking as a Jackeen*/Dub if I happen to catch a glimpse of something like RTE's Up for the match it's a completely alien world to me and I'd admit further one I find vaguely embarrassing and indeed laughable.

*the jackeen bit is another resentment nerve. Comes from Union Jack, ie the dubs were waving same. We weren't quite Irish enough. The modern version is being called west brits. The joke was when the queen of England had a visit, she was able to go walkabout in the rebel county Cork, yet in west brit Dublin any of the public who wanted to glimpse this head of modern soap opera had to do so from 100 feet away across masses of cops and barriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I find it funny that to Dubs, anyone outside their borders is a culchie. There are some from bigger towns and cities that would eat you if you called them a culchie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

They really, really don't. Believe me.

Rasheed wrote: »
    I find it funny that to Dubs, anyone outside their borders is a culchie. There are some from bigger towns and cities that would eat you if you called them a culchie!

Anyone from outside Dublin CITY is a Cuilche even if they're within the parameters of Dublin. Me, for example.

My observation is that it's a joke to Dubs but some Cuilches take it very, very seriously and there's genuine dislike there. I've had some bad experiences in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jackeen's what?

Not anyone, some are nordies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Indeed. Having a Monaghan or Donegal accent makes you not a culchie in the eyes of a lot of Dubs for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Fair enough. I'm a culchie, couldn't get much more bogger. When I went to college, there were girls from cities like Galway and Cork that horrified to be considered as culchie as me by the Dublin girls. I mean disgusted!

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I'm a culchie, couldn't get much more bogger. When I went to college, there were girls from cities like Galway and Cork that horrified to be considered as culchie as me by the Dublin girls. I mean disgusted!

They shouldn't take it so seriously. I certainly am not offended to be called a Union Jack-waving British Royal Family lover when my own grandad fought within the IRB and have zero interest or like for them.

Advertisement