Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchies vs Jackeen's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

Wibbs wrote: »
    I will admit speaking as a Jackeen*/Dub if I happen to catch a glimpse of something like RTE's Up for the match it's a completely alien world to me and I'd admit further one I find vaguely embarrassing and indeed laughable. [/I]

Up for the match is really cringe inducing, it's like some of the people on it go out of their way to be the most extreme stereotype in the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

The worst sort of culchie is the one that lives in dublin. Sickens them that we are welcoming to anyone coming to our city. Compare that to a Dub moving outside of Dublin. Treated with contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I think a lot of it is down to the schism of Dublin being the only major centre of population comparable to a London or an Amsterdam.

There's more of a variant of Dubliner to me than the sort of people that you get outside the pale.

Plus also I've met Dublin born people of Culchie parentage who are naturally less Dublincentric than other Dubs.

All generalisations of course, wherever you were randomly born or raised, who says that you have to eat, sleep, drink and breathe that particular place for the rest of your life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

bohsboy wrote: »
    The worst sort of culchie is the one that lives Dublin. Sickens them that we are welcoming to anyone coming to our city. Compare that to a Dub moving outside of Dublin. Treated with contempt.

Hasn't been my experience tbh.

Moving down from Dublin a few years ago, we had several neighbours calling in to introduce themselves & impart useful advice and local knowledge, which made the transition (and culture shock) a whole heap easier to handle.

When you make a move such as that, there's always the fear that it won't compare favourably to the life you had, but within a week of arriving in Co. Kilkenny, we knew we'd be happy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Anyone from outside Dublin CITY is a Cuilche even if they're within the parameters of Dublin. Me, for example.

My observation is that it's a joke to Dubs but some Cuilches take it very, very seriously and there's genuine dislike there. I've had some bad experiences in the past.

In the real world (not AH!!!), it's extremely rare for Dubliners to use the term Culchie in the presence of non-Dubliners. I've heard it used about 4 times in over 40 years of living and working in and around Dublin. I've never, never, heard Dubliners use it in the workplace, and my Dublin friends never use it to me. The only people who use it are from outside Dublin but that's in a self-deprecating, self-identifying way.

I would put Dubliners who use culchie into the same category as British people who use the term paddy for Irish people. It may be used as a joke some or most of the time, but it's still a synonym for country bumpkin and hick, and is about as funny as a British paddy-joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Hasn't been my experience tbh.

Moving down from Dublin a few years ago, we had several neighbours calling in to introduce themselves & impart useful advice and local knowledge, which made the transition (and culture shock) a whole heap easier to handle.

When you make a move such as that, there's always the fear that it won't compare favourably to the life you had, but within a week of arriving in Co. Kilkenny, we knew we'd be happy here.

Culture shock outside dublin.....At what point when you were driving down the M9 did this shock set in?

Vita nova wrote: »
    In the real world (not AH!!!), it's extremely rare for Dubliners to use the term Culchie in the presence of non-Dubliners. I've heard it used about 4 times in over 40 years of living and working in and around Dublin. I've never, never, heard Dubliners use it in the workplace, and my Dublin friends never use it to me. The only people who use it are from outside Dublin but that's in a self-deprecating, self-identifying way.

I would put Dubliners who use culchie into the same category as British people who use the term paddy for Irish people. It may be used as a joke some or most of the time, but it's still a synonym for country bumpkin and hick, and is about as funny as a British paddy-joke.

We tend to say redneck.

McCrack wrote: »
    Culture shock outside dublin.....At what point when you were driving down the M9 did this shock set in?

You don't believe there's an element of culture-shock involved, when moving from a city to a small rural community?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mcwinning wrote: »
    Up for the match is really cringe inducing, it's like some of the people on it go out of their way to be the most extreme stereotype in the audience.
    +1000. It's an affront to rural Ireland IMH. You'll hear many of same agreeing with that.
    Vita nova wrote: »
    In the real world (not AH!!!), it's extremely rare for Dubliners to use the term Culchie in the presence of non-Dubliners.
    I disagree. I've heard the term among all strata of Dublin society commonly enough too. 90% in a jokey way too.
    So you're a culshie then? :D As you point out people from beyond the pale often use it themselves in a self-deprecating, self-identifying jokey way. Isn't there even a culshie of the year competition? Bogger on the other hand is designed as an insult.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

From Galway city and I have never heard the term jackeen used certainly to me it seems there is a bit of a siege mentality there though from both sides anyone that says its one side more than the other is wrong though.

• Advertisement

You don't believe there's an element of culture-shock involved, when moving from a city to a small rural community?

No I don't. You do and I'd be curious to know what you found culturally shocking when moving out of Dublin to Co. Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From Galway city and I have never heard the term jackeen used certainly to me
    I haven't heard the term myself in many a year. Growing up I found it more common, but not today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I will admit speaking as a Jackeen*/Dub if I happen to catch a glimpse of something like RTE's Up for the match it's a completely alien world to me and I'd admit further one I find vaguely embarrassing and indeed laughable.[/I]

It's not just you, as someone who is a 'culchie' and into GAA I find Up for the Match embarrassing and laughable.

It's stuck in some sort of time warp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

From Galway city and I have never heard the term jackeen used certainly to me it seems there is a bit of a siege mentality there though from both sides anyone that says its one side more than the other is wrong though.

Not so much the words as I personally would take them all with a pinch of salt but the attitude of some people. I've been treated with nothing short of contempt by some people outside Dublin, even when I've met Irish outside Ireland for the simple fact that I was raised (not born!) within the parameters of Dublin.

No doubt people from outside Dublin have experienced the same. These people are fools, plain and simple.

Thing is, I've been away for so long and I identify myself as Irish and not a Dub (except when watching GAA). You realise how stupid it all is when you move away and you see the size and insignificance of Ireland from a distance but yet I'm still hesitant when someone from outside Dublin asks me where I'm from expecting a negative reaction.

It's even worse here in Spain. The place is so regionalised to the point of stupidity. No sense of unity or harmony here at all and some genuine hatred here (Madrid V Barcelona, for example). Again being a foreigner and seeing the bigger picture, you realise how fooking retarded it all is. At least we have some kind of unity in our own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I haven't heard the term myself in many a year. Growing up I found it more common, but not today.

Heard it a lot back in the '90s, but it seems to have died out along with skobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

bohsboy wrote: »
    The worst sort of culchie is the one that lives in dublin. Sickens them that we are welcoming to anyone coming to our city. Compare that to a Dub moving outside of Dublin. Treated with contempt.
    I don't get this Dublin v the rest of the country nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It's a bit simple to say Dublin people and all culchies. I think both Dubliners and Culchies from others counties can find some common ground in disliking Cork.

Culchies and Scangers are exactly the same. Both aggressive low intelligence inbreds. Only real difference is one lives in a flat complex and the other on a farm. Regarding people from various parts of the country that slag off Cork, theirs a saying; "when you're on the top, people will always try to knock you down". :pac:

No I don't. You do and I'd be curious to know what you found culturally shocking when moving out of Dublin to Co. Kilkenny.

I didn't say I found anything to be culturally shocking -that's an entirely different matter to experiencing culture shock as most would understand the term.
    cul·ture shock
    Noun
    The feeling of disorientation experienced by someone who is suddenly subjected to an unfamiliar culture, way of life, or set of attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think it's more a city v counry mentally and it happens all over the world. In a lot of coutnries the captial city is seen as less "national" or traditional than the rest of the country and said country tends to cling to their traditions.

That said, I rarely hear the term culchie and never hear jackeen. However, it's when someone regurgitates "West Brit" you know you're deaing with an ignorant moron.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I didn't say I found anything to be culturally shocking -that's an entirely different matter to experiencing culture shock as most would understand the term.

Ok so going on that definition of culture shock are you saying after moving from Dublin to Kilkenny you felt disorientated from experiencing an unfamiliar culture, way of life and/or set of attitudes?

And if you're not saying that what exactly are you saying because I'm a little stumped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Dubs always come up with the best insults (the kind that gets under the skin).

The best culchies can come up with is that "all dubs are skangers". Low blow... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I'm fairly sure all Jackeens wear tracksuits and are on drugs

It's a bit unfair that culchies have Up For The Match to look forward to every year, yet the Jackeen will only appear on TV as a gap toothed moron on a news report at a crime scene. "Anto used to sell drugs to the chiselers, but he was a lovely [insert cockney rhyming slang here]"

I once saw a man in Kilkenny wearing a tracksuit but he wasn't selling heroin, he was going to a sports training session. He didn't have his hands down the front of his pants either.

Also, all Dubs are skangers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Culchies always get lost and frustrated when driving around Dublin it must seem like an awful big place to them. God bless.

Ok so going on that definition of culture shock are you saying after moving from Dublin to Kilkenny you felt disorientated from experiencing an unfamiliar culture, way of life and/or set of attitudes?

To a degree, sure.

Is it akin to the disconnect an economic migrant from Bihar state may experience emerging onto the streets of Bombay?

Nope.
    And if you're not saying that what exactly are you saying because I'm a little stumped.

I don't think you are tbh.

It appears you're being deliberately obtuse for whatever reason. As to seriously claim you don't believe an element of culture-shock may factor when moving from a city to a small rural community just isn't plausible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

As a Dub who moved to a rural area many years ago in some cases from some people's pov I'll always be a blow in. My mother moved from a rural area to the city and was never treated as a blow in - seems to me dubs accept/ignore or aren't bothered about where you hail from in general - people in small, rural communities seem to be less accepting. I haven't heard the word Jackeen used as an insult ever but Culchie has become part of everyday vernacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Of course country people are envious of the beautiful living conditions of the Dublin council estates and the low education standards of the natives where five passes in the Junior Cert would have you labelled as a Mastermind candidate.
    But then again it is handy to have someone to help you park by holding a rolled up Sun and shouting "lock hard" when on business in Dublin

• Administrators Posts: 53,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've always been called a nordy rather than a culchie by dubs. Doesn't bother me like.

It seems the rule is you are a culchie if you're not from Dublin. Except if you've got the stereotypical northern accent, where you're a nordy instead. People from Donegal seem to be culchies, not nordys.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think the culchies have a bit of an inferiority complex.
    I think the jackeens have a bit of an superiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The family of David Norris hail from Co. Laois if I'm not mistaken, and he himself was born in the Congo.

You'll have to go again.
    Fair point :) and when Jackie Healy Rae was young was he a Jackeen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

biko wrote: »
    I think the jackeens have a bit of an superiority complex.
    Not difficult when compared to the gombeens outside the Pale.

Advertisement