Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchies vs Jackeen's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

awec wrote: »
    I've always been called a nordy rather than a culchie by dubs. Doesn't bother me like.

It seems the rule is you are a culchie if you're not from Dublin. Except if you've got the stereotypical northern accent, where you're a nordy instead. People from Donegal seem to be culchies, not nordys.

No, anyone from the 9 counties is a nordy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What a great idea for a thread.

Seriously are we doing this again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Super-Rush wrote: »

Carlow...LOL. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I've always been called a nordy rather than a culchie by dubs. Doesn't bother me like.

You should object. It should be northie, and if they disagree, just say to them in your best Belfast accent: "we know yer name, we know where you live, yer house would make a lovely wee car park"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

Super-Rush wrote: »

Really, there should a sub section in AH that just contains threads dedicated to all these tired topics that people seem to think they're so original or clever in coming out with. Amalgamate all the 'Should there be united Ireland' threads, the 'Dubs v. Culchies' thread, the 'The dole!' threads etc. etc., stick them in a separate section that's basically a load of stickies sorted alphabetically and let people have at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Culchies always get lost and frustrated when driving around Dublin it must seem like an awful big place to them. God bless.

No, just terribly planned. New York is easier to drive around.

• Administrators Posts: 53,709 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Think someone said on here once that you can always spot the culchies in Dublin cause they're the ones who put their arms out to stop the Luas. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone who uses the term 'Taytos' to describe crisps in general is a turnip muncher. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

bohsboy wrote: »
    Carlow...LOL. ;)

Bohs...LOL ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Think someone said on here once that you can always spot the culchies in Dublin cause they're the ones who put their arms out to stop the Luas. :pac:

Ya can spot the culchies in Dublin cause they're the ones who put money in the machines to pay for a Luas ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ya can spot culchies in Dublin because they don't have tracks on their arms :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

goose2005 wrote: »
    No, just terribly planned. New York is easier to drive around.

It's not terribly planned, you have the M50 encircling the city and inner suburbs and national roads cut through directly towards the city, I think of it like a big pizza with each segment leading to a different Suburb it's a clever design for the layout of the city. Bog trotters just haven't a clue unless ya spell it out for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

You people are far too sensitive. When I started college there were loads of people from the country in my class. I snagged them about being culchies (why aren't they doing at science etc..) and they flagged me about being from Dublin (heroin addict etc..) but it was just a laugh like. No one actually meant it!
    If people actually take it seriously they're idiots tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Ya can spot culchies in Dublin because they don't have tracks on their arms :pac:

Unless they step out in front of a Luas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

For the most part I think it's just light hearted slagging that nobody takes seriously.

However, I have never once heard a Dub seriously insult a particular county in the presence of a native of that county. Even so-called skangers seem to know how rude and ignorant that is. Unfortunately the opposite isn't true in my experience and many from outside Dublin seem to think it acceptable to insult and talk down Dublin in the presence of Dubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Do people actually take the culchie/jackeen thing seriously?.Its always been more of a playful bit of banter between my culchie friends and I than anything to be offended over.Stupid culchies getting offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

It's not terribly planned, you have the M50 encircling the city and inner suburbs and national roads cut through directly towards the city, I think of it like a big pizza. Bog trotters just havent a clue unless ya spell it out for them.

The problem though is when you get INTO the city. At least in New York City it's all blocks and straight lines, the grid layout, whereas Dublin City has an orbital layout, which means you can literally be left going round in circles if you don't already know your way around.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    The problem though is when you get INTO the city. At least in New York City it's all blocks and straight lines, the grid layout, whereas Dublin City has an orbital layout, which means you can literally be left going round in circles if you don't already know your way around.

Dublin is an older city than New York though.

Dublin should've been built up rather than spread like butter across the entire county.

Czarcasm wrote: »

While Manhattan may be easier to navagate on a map, it is rife with one way systems more so than even Dublin it's also one of the most congested cities in the world there's no way in heck it's easier to drive around than Dublin even taking it's Modern grid system into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Culchies/jackeens... We're all a shower of drunk island monkeys to the rest of the world.

And for the record, Dubs in general couldn't give less of a **** where anyone is from whether you're from outside Dublin or Ireland altogether.

Now shut the **** up with this ****e, it's embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Dublin is an older city than New York though.

Dublin should've been built up rather than spread like butter across the entire county.

Urban sprawl happens with all capitals not just Dublin. The likes of Manhattan cant expand any further out because it is landlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

This is a stupid thread I think. From one culchie to another, shame on you OP. UP THE CATS.

Urban sprawl happens with all capitals not just Dublin. The likes of Manhattan cant expand any further out because it is landlocked.

NYC has a far far bigger population than Dublin though (double the population of Ireland probably?),so that would constitute the sprawl of boroughs.Dublin on the other hand was just the usual Irish symptom of being behind the times and planning recklessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anyone who uses the term 'Taytos' to describe crisps in general is a turnip muncher. That is all.

I'd rather them referred to as Taytos than crips, dubs have nothing be be saying, oh and I don't like turnips. :rolleyes:

NYC has a far far bigger population than Europe though (double the population of Ireland probably?),so that would constitute the sprawl of boroughs.Dublin on the other hand was just the usual Irish symptom of being behind the times and planning recklessly.

NYC sprawls as well (all high population city's do), the urban area of NYC stretches way out beyond Queens and Newark. I mention Manhattan in particular as it's New York's CBD and it builds upwards because there is high demand for property (much much more so than Dublin due to population) but no room to sprawl further without expanding to the Outer urbanized areas beyond the rivers.

If Dublin city center was landlocked like Manhattan is (say the M50 was a large River like the Hudson) then you would see more demand for property and more localized urban buildup as you see with Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Culchies always get lost and frustrated when driving around Dublin it must seem like an awful big place to them. God bless.

Bo***cks. If you need directions in Dublin ask the culchie. Your average Dub knows how to get from where he's living into town, how to get from where he's living to work and how to get from where he's living to his ma's end of. The culchie on the other hand will have lived in several different locations around the city from the time he arrived as a 17/18 year old going to college to the time he moves into a three bed-semi c/w with spouse and kids 15-20 years later. He will have had to find his own way and will not have any hang-ups about where he goes because he's from a certain part of the city. The Dub on the other hand will usually be living at home with his ma until mid-twenties and never need to learn any other routes.

I asked for directions one day in a business in the JFK business park for Glasnevin not one Dub in the place could come up with anything better than go back onto the Naas rd and go back onto the M50........ The f**king M50 was like a carpark the same day. I found my own way down by Heuston and I've never spent more than around 30 hours in Dublin at any one time.

Any friends or relations I have who lived in Dublin for any length of time would travel from one side of the city to the other without ever doing anything more than crossing any of the main roads.

Bo***cks. If you need directions in Dublin ask the culchie.

I asked for directions one day in a business in the JFK business park for Glasnevin not one Dub in the place could come up with anything better than go back onto the Naas rd and go back onto the M50........ The f**king M50 was like a carpark the same day. I found my own way down by Heuston and I've never spent more than around 30 hours in Dublin at any one time.

What I take from your story is that you got lost and frustrated in Dublin. Point Proven.

Bo***cks. If you need directions in Dublin ask the culchie. Your average Dub knows how to get from where he's living into town, how to get from where he's living to work and how to get from where he's living to his ma's end of. The culchie on the other hand will have lived in several different locations around the city from the time he arrived as a 17/18 year old going to college to the time he moves into a three bed-semi c/w with spouse and kids 15-20 years later. He will have had to find his own way and will not have any hang-ups about where he goes because he's from a certain part of the city. The Dub on the other hand will usually be living at home with his ma until mid-twenties and never need to learn any other routes.

Any friends or relations I have who lived in Dublin for any length of time would travel from one side of the city to the other without ever doing anything more than crossing any of the main roads.
    I agree,I have a culchie sitting on my dash working as a sat nav.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

NYC sprawls as well (all high population city's do), the urban area of NYC stretches way out beyond Queens and Newark Manhattan being New York's CBD builds upwards because there is high demand for buildings/homes.

If Dublin city center was landlocked like Manhattan is (say the M50 was a large River like the Hudson) then you would see more demand for property and more localized urban buildup as you see with Manhattan.

Yes but you even admit yourself that Manhattan is only one of the five New York City boroughs, and New York itself has a population of 8 million people, compared to Dublin's 1 million people.

Most people in Manhattan don't drive either, they use public transport, whereas in Dublin, they can't go five minutes down the road without the car. I sometimes can't say I blame them as the public transport system in Dublin is dire!

• Advertisement

NYC sprawls as well (all high population city's do), the urban area of NYC stretches way out beyond Queens and Newark. I mention Manhattan in particular as it's New York's CBD and it builds upwards because there is high demand for property (much much more so than Dublin due to population) but no room to sprawl further without expanding to the Outer urbanized areas beyond the rivers.

Manhatten couldn't hold the population of NYC i agree.However if Dublin was landlocked from the M50 it most likely could hold a population of 1m if the proper infrastructure was implemted from day 1.

Advertisement