Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchies vs Jackeen's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Bo***cks. If you need directions in Dublin ask the culchie. Your average Dub knows how to get from where he's living into town, how to get from where he's living to work and how to get from where he's living to his ma's end of. The culchie on the other hand will have lived in several different locations around the city from the time he arrived as a 17/18 year old going to college to the time he moves into a three bed-semi c/w with spouse and kids 15-20 years later. He will have had to find his own way and will not have any hang-ups about where he goes because he's from a certain part of the city. The Dub on the other hand will usually be living at home with his ma until mid-twenties and never need to learn any other routes.

I asked for directions one day in a business in the JFK business park for Glasnevin not one Dub in the place could come up with anything better than go back onto the Naas rd and go back onto the M50........ The f**king M50 was like a carpark the same day. I found my own way down by Heuston and I've never spent more than around 30 hours in Dublin at any one time.

Any friends or relations I have who lived in Dublin for any length of time would travel from one side of the city to the other without ever doing anything more than crossing any of the main roads.

What a load of bullsh1t.

I know two lads who even after 5 years in UCD would only get the number 10 bus instead of the faster 46a because they were afraid they wouldn't find their way to Busaras from a different bus stop on O'Connell Street.

We can all come up with ridiculous anecdotes to suit our point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Forget about Dubs v Culchies, there's an awful lot of people posting absolute tripe on this thread, from both sides.

You're all as bad as each other.

Regards,

A streetwise nordy culchie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

elfy4eva wrote: »
    What I take from your story is that you got lost and frustrated in Dublin. Point Proven.

Nope, I reckon my three year old could have come up with the "go back onto the M50" directions and he's only ever been as far as the M50 on the way to the airport, but it was the best a bunch of born and bred dubs could come up with. Dublin isn't big enough to get lost in, you're never more than a minute or two from one of the major roads in,out or around the town.

What a load of bullsh1t.

I know two lads who even after 5 years in UCD would only get the number 10 bus instead of the faster 46a because they were afraid they wouldn't find their way to Busaras from a different bus stop on O'Connell Street.

We can all come up with ridiculous anecdotes to suit our point.

You have to have the exceptions who prove the rule:D:D. Though the two boys in your example never lived in Dublin. They travelled to UCD and back home every week and never engaged with anything by the sound of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's always the jackeens that start these threads.
    Can't someone from Cork, Waterford or Belfast post a thread about how glorious their city is and how stupid everyone else are? It'd be nice with a bit of a change..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Nope, I reckon my three year old could have come up with the "go back onto the M50" directions and he's only ever been as far as the M50 on the way to the airport, but it was the best a bunch of born and bred dubs could come up with. Dublin isn't big enough to get lost in, you're never more than a minute or two from one of the major roads in,out or around the town.

If you had to ask for directions, you were lost. When you didnt get directions that suited you, you got frustrated. LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Actually,wtf were you doing in glasnevin looking for Jfk industrial estate?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

oldyouth wrote: »
    Have you noticed how quickly culchies (particularly girls) adopt the D4 accent as soon as they spend some time in Dublin. They can't wait to shake off their culchie heritage.
    The D4 accent is just a mish mash of the accents in kids shows on nickelodeon and MTV. Culchie girls start adopting that accent as soon as the TV is turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

You have to have the exceptions who prove the rule:D:D. Though the two boys in your example never lived in Dublin. They travelled to UCD and back home every week and never engaged with anything by the sound of them.

No. They lived in Dublin and travelled home rarely enough.

You're just trying to counter a bullsh1t argument by spouting bullsh1t, but for some reason you think your bullsh1t is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

biko wrote: »
    Can't someone from Cork, Waterford or Belfast post a thread about glorious their city is and how stupid everyone else are? It'd be nice with a bit of a change..
    Why is there such a division between the two, I've often pondered it growing up in a small Tipperary town. I remember Tipp played Dublin in the 2011 All Ireland semi final and every one in my local club scoffed and said those fcuking Jackeens aren't able to hurl. The fact they were Dubs seemed to incense certain people.

But then you have culchies who go to college in Dublin and immerse themselves in the city and pick up the UCD/Trinner Mid Atlantic accent. I've lived in it and enjoyed myself. There's some real characters out there.

I think the culchies have a bit of an inferiority complex.

Tipperary man started the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Haven't you got silage to cut or eat or whatever you do with it? Don't be worrying about the capital.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Can't someone from Cork, Waterford or Belfast post a thread about glorious their city is and how stupid everyone else are? It'd be nice with a bit of a change..

None of those cities are exactly glorius though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

What's the problem?

Get on to the M50, take the Ballymun exit, go straight for 10 mins....hey presto...Glasnevin.

Sure, I thought the average culchie knows their way around Dublin? You must be the lesser spotted "below average culchie".

I've asked for directions in culchie land. At least the dubs gave you the direction to a major road network.

Me - "sorry old chap, can you please direct me to <insert wherever>"
    Culchie - "sure, it's about a mile that way, turn at Ms. O'Dwyers field, if ya see a cow you have gone too far, take a left at that place where Biddy got her first shift of the milkman, it's only a up the road where Johnny fell off his bike in '68"

Fcuk off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The family of David Norris hail from Co. Laois if I'm not mistaken, and he himself was born in the Congo.

You'll have to go again.

Come off it, yer talking through yer %%%% david norris is a west brit through and through. jackeens/west brit... all the same waving their UJ flag, along with all the other anglo hiberno soccer supporters in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I walk or get public transport if for example I have to go from one side of a city to the other, but Waterford is easy to navigate when walking, Belfast I've never been to, but Cork - Jesus the fcuking hills would kill you! :(

What's the problem?

Get on to the M50, take the Ballymun exit, go straight for 10 mins....hey presto...Glasnevin.

Sure, I thought the average culchie knows their way around Dublin? You must be the lesser spotted "below average culchie".

I've asked for directions in culchie land. At least the dubs gave you the direction to a major road network.

Me - "sorry old chap, can you please direct me to <insert wherever>"
    Culchie - "sure, it's about a mile that way, turn at Ms. O'Dwyers field, if ya see a cow you have gone too far, take a left at that place where Biddy got her first shift of the milkman, it's only a up the road where Johnny fell off his bike in '68"

Fcuk off

Ahh come on, we're not THAT bad! :D

Any time anyone asks me for directions I just ask them do they have a smartphone, and then I input where they want to go into their maps app. Saves me trying to explain to them as I'm useless at giving directions and I use my maps app on my phone to get from A to B 90% of the time myself! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Armelodie wrote: »
    Come off it, yer talking through yer %%%% david norris is a west brit through and through. jackeens/west brit... all the same waving their UJ flag, along with all the other anglo hiberno soccer supporters in dublin.

And this ladies and gentlemen, is coming from a teacher. I despair.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Ahh come on, we're not THAT bad! :D

Any time anyone asks me for directions I just ask them do they have a smartphone, and then I input where they want to go into their maps app. Saves me trying to explain to them as I'm useless at giving directions and I use my maps app on my phone to get from A to B 90% of the time myself! :o

I agree, culchies and dubs are not as bad as made out to be. There's always a handful of stereotypical retards though.

The type that think freedom comes in a cup for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

As someone who was born in Dublin and then moved to Mayo as a kid, I find weird how people go on, from the west to the east of Ireland it's only two hours, but how is the cultural difference so wide or at least they way people go on it is.

When I moved back up to Dublin for college I really loved it. I also know a lot of people who did moved to Dublin found it hard to get to grips with the city, which is natural. By the same token a lot of people who move up to Dublin would never move back down to where they are originally from as they much prefer where they are now.

Actually,wtf were you doing in glasnevin looking for Jfk industrial estate?!

It was the other way around. I was starting a business at the time and two of the distributors I needed were based in those locations. I wasn't lost, I knew two ways to get from where I was to where I was I was going but both of them involved too much time on roads with a lot of traffic on them. All I was asking was for a handier/less congested route. Apparently some lad called Gerry who was out on deliveries would have been the guy to ask, as for the rest they hadn't a clue.

• Advertisement

I agree, culchies and dubs are not as bad as made out to be. There's always a handful of stereotypical retards though.

The type that think freedom comes in a cup for example.

Maybe freedom DOES come in a cup, the rest of us culchies though have long since cottoned on to sheepskin condoms :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

one thing i like about being from Dublin is that the gaa didnt have an all prevading influence on my childhood

No. They lived in Dublin and travelled home rarely enough.

You're just trying to counter a bullsh1t argument by spouting bullsh1t, but for some reason you think your bullsh1t is right.

Honestly I don't care enough about this to carry it on any further, consider me schooled;). I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Honestly I don't care enough about this to carry it on any further.

A culchies attitude towards schooling. tut tut ;) Well you heard it here folks! :p

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Maybe freedom DOES come in a cup, the rest of us culchies though have long since cottoned on to sheepskin condoms :pac:

Heh, niiiiiiiiiice!

Can ya rinse those bad boys out and reuse them?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Armelodie wrote: »
    Too bloody right,
    I'll be getting my Union flag out when The Royal Baby arrives.
    GSTQ.

Heh, niiiiiiiiiice!

Can ya rinse those bad boys out and reuse them?

You can indeed, just turn 'em inside out, good handwash with soap, and then out on the clothes line. While you're waiting for them to dry you can use the tried and trusted tayto bag method* :D

I take no responsibility for any numbnuts that chooses to take the above seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

bohsboy wrote: »
    And this ladies and gentlemen, is coming from a teacher. I despair.

Gold star for you bohsboy....up to the front of the class..btw I'm on a little holiday at the mo. so technically off duty..

anyway..on with the lesson in stereotyping..

Did you hear about the Jackeen with low self esteem...
    He went around thinking he was just as good as everyone else..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Without easy access to Kinder Buenos the average Jackeen will perish within 3 days of being released into the wild

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Cork people do that all the time. Be careful what you wish for!

Advertisement