Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchies vs Jackeen's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

MJ23 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm a big muck savage. Wrangler jeans, stripey shirts with sleeves rolled up, ox blood Doc Martin shoes, dog with 1 eye sits on the passenger seat. Digestive bishcuits, Lilt, Guinness farts, shower once a fortnight, Christmas shopping in Dunnes. Annual outing up to Dublin on December 8th.

What no straw to chew on?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

you get scummers wherever you go,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yes, I'm a big muck savage. Wrangler jeans, stripey shirts with sleeves rolled up, ox blood Doc Martin shoes, dog with 1 eye sits on the passenger seat. Digestive bishcuits, Lilt, Guinness farts, shower once a fortnight, Christmas shopping in Dunnes. Annual outing up to Dublin on December 8th.

I'm complete city man, latte, skinny jeans, cycle to work, three showers a day, work in advertising, shop in F&B, holiday in small fishing villages in Europe, nice car for the weekends, Leinster jersey, Iphone, Sail boats in Dublin bay etc...

But, I reckon I could have a few scoops (of Heino) with you and we'd get along just fine while others bitch about each other in the internet.

Roight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm complete city man, latte, skinny jeans, cycle to work, three showers a day, work in advertising, shop in F&B, holiday in small fishing villages in Europe, nice car for the weekends, Leinster jersey, Iphone, Sail boats in Dublin bay etc...

But, I reckon I could have a few scoops (of Heino) with you and we'd get along just fine while others bitch about each other in the internet.

Roight?

Totes.
    Morkeshing degree from DBS? Yes definitely, a few pints of Heino some night in Keilys, then head to Coppers and shift a few trainee teachers from Longford.

Totes.

Can't believe I didn't use that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

The worst type of Dubliner's are the deluded ones that think it's one of the world's major cities and are always making comparisons with London, New York, Paris, etc. That's the equivalent of comparing Kilkenny "city" with Dublin. I know this is gonna hurt for some readers but in reality, Dublin is a very insignificant small to medium sized European city and barely rates at all on a global scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stansgone

In Kerry for a few days. Today we hopped out if the car, one of the daughters says " the accent of yer man over there. Ya can't understand a word he says". I had to remind her that we were the foreigners today and the man would look at us saying wtf are they ****ing about. At least the culchies can park their cars along the side of the road with the windows left open, without it being nicked. They all say hello, or jeezus its a loovly morning to you as you pass by. When i get back to Dublin in a few days, my car will get robbed and some gob****e will stare at me wondering why I said hi to them. Prob get the jackeen ****e kicked out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

becost wrote: »
    The worst type of Dubliner's are the deluded ones that think it's one of the world's major cities and are always making comparisons with London, New York, Paris, etc. That's the equivalent of comparing Kilkenny "city" with Dublin. I know this is gonna hurt for some readers but in reality, Dublin is a very insignificant small to medium sized European city and barely rates at all on a global scale.

Pffft, do you even Starbucks brah?

tell that to the gathering crowd

The worst type of Dubliner's are the deluded ones that think it's one of the world's major cities and are always making comparisons with London, New York, Paris

I think the only one's making those comparisons are the non Dubs becost! Read back through the thread and you'll find I'm right.

• Advertisement

that coppers place is like their own little fortress

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't like your definition of culchie because it doesn't include me. :( I definetly a culchie, I went to the bog once and everything.

* Google chrome corrected my spelling of culchie! Is there anything google doesn't know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

If only there was a Cork version of Ross-O'Carroll Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Wibbs wrote: »
    I will admit speaking as a Jackeen*/Dub if I happen to catch a glimpse of something like RTE's Up for the match it's a completely alien world to me and I'd admit further one I find vaguely embarrassing and indeed laughable.

*the jackeen bit is another resentment nerve. Comes from Union Jack, ie the dubs were waving same. We weren't quite Irish enough. The modern version is being called west brits. The joke was when the queen of England had a visit, she was able to go walkabout in the rebel county Cork, yet in west brit Dublin any of the public who wanted to glimpse this head of modern soap opera had to do so from 100 feet away across masses of cops and barriers.
    you dont have to be a dub to find that cringy or embarrassing .But it is very anoying to be associated with the stereotypes of the show just cause your not from dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

you dont have to be a dub to find that cringy or embarrassing .But it is very anoying to be associated with the stereotypes of the show just cause your not from dublin.
    Don't be annoyed by the Irish stereotype, it gives you leeway to get away with murder everywhere else in the world.

I remember falling into a hostel in Latvia one night demanded a drink (and got it), ten minutes later two English lads did the same thing and got kicked out of the hostel. It's amazing how when Irish people do it, it's funny. If the English do the exact same thing, it's a disgrace against the countries peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Emmett6661

Only encountered such a divide when I moved to Cork, I'm from Dublin and tbh had no problem with any county beyond a bit of border rivalry with Meath until I moved down. I enjoy Cork but will never settle outside of the capital for the simple reason that an inferiority complex exists outside of it, particularly in Cork with all this "real capital" bollox. Theres not a lot of outer county hate back home I've always found, the main divides are within the county,fair enough we do refer to country people as culchies and get annoyed when they flood our city for shopping days, but theres nothing too serious there. The rest of the country hates us for the most pathetic reasons..."youre all rich and up your own hole...youre all scum bags". Nice generalisation but theres more variety within Dublin than anywhere else in the country, realistically its most culturally diverse part of the country. I like the entire country and regularly take breaks to other counties and have friends all over the place, but a lot of this country needs to take its head out of its arse. Funny enough most of England seems to have the same attitude towards London....coincidence? If yiz hate Dublin that most though stay the **** out, no ones forcing yas to visit!

Emmett6661 wrote: »
    Only encountered such a divide when I moved to Cork, I'm from Dublin and tbh had no problem with any county beyond a bit of border rivalry with Meath until I moved down. I enjoy Cork but will never settle outside of the capital for the simple reason that an inferiority complex exists outside of it, particularly in Cork with all this "real capital" bollox. Theres not a lot of outer county hate back home I've always found, the main divides are within the county,fair enough we do refer to country people as culchies and get annoyed when they flood our city for shopping days, but theres nothing too serious there. The rest of the country hates us for the most pathetic reasons..."youre all rich and up your own hole...youre all scum bags". Nice generalisation but theres more variety within Dublin than anywhere else in the country, realistically its most culturally diverse part of the country. I like the entire country and regularly take breaks to other counties and have friends all over the place, but a lot of this country needs to take its head out of its arse. Funny enough most of England seems to have the same attitude towards London....coincidence? If yiz hate Dublin that most though stay the **** out, no ones forcing yas to visit!

do dublin people realy think the rest of the country hates them, do you honestly see that much of a diffrence between the capital and the rest of the country? the only difference i have ever noticed between dublin and my home
    county of clare is the accent!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The mammy got married over 40 years ago and moved to the parish and the old biddies in the post office will still refer to the fact she's from the next county.

We're not talking huge distances here, it the county next door in the midlands

Seems you need to own land in a parish for 3 generations before you become a local!

Until then you are nothing but a blow in

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Emmett6661 wrote: »

"Flood our city for shopping days"

You must have missed out on the last 20 years when Dublin became a multicultural city, things have moved on a bit since the traditional Dec 8th trip up on the bus for xmas shopping.

Personally I do the xmas shopping in either Galway or Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Main difference I find in Dubs is the openness. For better or worse, whether you know them or not, they'll ask you any question and will have no problem in telling you all about themselves. Country people seem go hold back a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I have no problems with Dublin people or REAL Country people. ..

It's those annoying country dicks who put on the Dublin accents when they're home from college or work. ..

Those knobs cannot be trusted, anyone who isn't honest with themselves have some serious low self esteem. ..

And it's mostly guy's who put on the d ick accent the women stay the same. ..

Hey Fiacra err you gouing ouht for a fwew points of hyno...

No Oisin we're staying in tuniche, having some vino with Risteard and his girlfriend, did I tell you her father owns....

"Flood our city for shopping days"

You must have missed out on the last 20 years when Dublin became a multicultural city, things have moved on a bit since the traditional Dec 8th trip up on the bus for xmas shopping.

Personally I do the xmas shopping in either Galway or Limerick.

i think you could go back further then 20 years........ infact i dont ever think i purposely traveled to dublin or even know anyone who has traveled up to dublin on shoping trips when the same can be got any where else in the country. them days are long dead and gone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'd find it really odd if someone hated me just because I was from Dublin. If you have preconceptions about the place that it's full of this kind of person or that kind of person then you are ignoring the fact that it is a pretty diverse place and the also that the city of Dublin does not cover the entire county. If you think somewhere west Clare has the monopoly on rurality, the farmers of Fingal (one of Ireland's main horticultural regions) would like a word.

If it's a bit of ribbing, then fine, but cop on to yourself anyone who'd really be going with that kind of simple-minded, one dimensional, parochial thinking.

Rasheed wrote: »
    Main difference I find in Dubs is the openness. For better or worse, whether you know them or not, they'll ask you any question and will have no problem in telling you all about themselves. Country people seem go hold back a bit.

again not true a large percentage of dubs originally come from the country or there parents grand parents ect..... you dont lose a gene or gain one for that matter by moveing to another place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Just my opinion as a born Dub, living in Wexford for the last 25 years.

Culchies seem to get really worked up about Dubs, especially around All Ireland time. Dubs, on the other hand, don't give a fluck, they just get on with living life in the modern world wondering what that noise in the background is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

Dublin insignificant? We have the European HQ of Google, Facebook & Twitter here. The HQ of Europe's largest airline. There are countless others that have Dublin as their European HQ. Seems a significant small to medium sized European city to me.

BTW I've never once heard any Dub compare our city to New York etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Dublin is smaller but we are better at the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,312 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dublin insignificant? We have the European HQ of Google, Facebook & Twitter here. The HQ of Europe's largest airline. There are countless others that have Dublin as their European HQ. Seems a significant small to medium sized European city to me.

.... and yet the city still doesnt have a decent night trasnport system....

(And I'm a Dub!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,312 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

.... and yet the city still doesnt have a decent night trasnport system....

(And I'm a Dub!)

F my own P

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

again not true a large percentage of dubs originally come from the country or there parents grand parents ect..... you dont lose a gene or gain one for that matter by moveing to another place

What's genes got to do with it?! I find, having lived all my life in the country and worked and lived for a few years in Dublin that, Dubs are more forthcoming about themselves but expect the same back. Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, I'm not sure!

Advertisement