Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchies vs Jackeen's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Emmett6661 wrote: »
    Only encountered such a divide when I moved to Cork, I'm from Dublin and tbh had no problem with any county beyond a bit of border rivalry with Meath until I moved down. I enjoy Cork but will never settle outside of the capital for the simple reason that an inferiority complex exists outside of it, particularly in Cork with all this "real capital" bollox. Theres not a lot of outer county hate back home I've always found, the main divides are within the county,fair enough we do refer to country people as culchies and get annoyed when they flood our city for shopping days, but theres nothing too serious there. The rest of the country hates us for the most pathetic reasons..."youre all rich and up your own hole...youre all scum bags". Nice generalisation but theres more variety within Dublin than anywhere else in the country, realistically its most culturally diverse part of the country. I like the entire country and regularly take breaks to other counties and have friends all over the place, but a lot of this country needs to take its head out of its arse. Funny enough most of England seems to have the same attitude towards London....coincidence? If yiz hate Dublin that most though stay the **** out, no ones forcing yas to visit!

Says you after you go on about your city getting flooded on shopping days by people outside Dublin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

The worst type of Dubliner's are the deluded ones that think it's one of the world's major cities and are always making comparisons with London, New York, Paris, etc.

No one does this. If anything native Dubs give their city a way harder time than it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I've never really come across the whole Dub vs Culchie thing but it reminds me of when I was in school. I went to school on the border between Waterford and Kilkenny and there was always a bit of rivalry between the the two sides, just a bit of a laugh most of the time, nothing serious, but I remember there were some Kilkenny lads that would automatically hate you if you were from Waterford. Their reasoning behind this was "Ye're shít at hurling and you're all scumbags". Come to think of it nearly all of those lads lived on farms in the middle of nowhere and lived very sheltered lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Up the West and F*ck the rest !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vita nova

oldyouth wrote: »
    Just my opinion as a born Dub, living in Wexford for the last 25 years.

Culchies seem to get really worked up about Dubs, especially around All Ireland time. Dubs, on the other hand, don't give a fluck, they just get on with living life in the modern world wondering what that noise in the background is all about.

And yet you took the time to read and reply to the thread.

Also, maybe if you didn't refer to the locals as culchies then you'd have more positive experiences to relate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Emmett6661

do dublin people realy think the rest of the country hates them, do you honestly see that much of a diffrence between the capital and the rest of the country? the only difference i have ever noticed between dublin and my home
    county of clare is the accent!!!

its not that i think they hate us but theres definitely an attitude there! im a social forward person, when im out i chat ****e with a lot of strangers and generally everyone i come across in cork, while they are usually sound, have to get across the fact that they hate dublin. Like seriously? when i meet someone from somewhere else i either wont mention it or might actually ask them about the place, or if i know they place talk about it. im sure youd wind cork lads up pretty quick telling them corks ****e as an introduction to a conversation! i dont have a lot of experience with clare, ive been there a few times, i liked it, lovely coastline, interesting scenery...ive come across people with as much knowledge of dublin as i have of clare that have told me they hate the place and dubs are arseholes...its sad!
    "Flood our city for shopping days"

You must have missed out on the last 20 years when Dublin became a multicultural city, things have moved on a bit since the traditional Dec 8th trip up on the bus for xmas shopping.

Personally I do the xmas shopping in either Galway or Limerick.

im from blanch pal, its probably the most multicultural spot goin, and i can safely say, the typically shoppin days are still avoided by dubs because you cant even walk up grafton street
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    Says you after you go on about your city getting flooded on shopping days by people outside Dublin :rolleyes:

did i not just acknowledge that we have that attitude towards those days? i admit that, its annoying, just like id imagine tralee hates when the rose is on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Notice non Dubs are usually very open about telling you how ****e Dublin. No idea why. I dont go around saying Ennis is a ****hole etc.

Dont get the attitude at all. There are arseholes, knackers, snobs etc everywhere in Ireland, Dublin as the capital just has more and its more visible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

I have a limited experience with Dubliners but they have a bad reputation where i come from, i don't buy into it though, i've learned that there are scumbags everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I've found it works both ways between cork and Dublin.

Most people don't give a toss in either city but the odd asshat does.

I mean for example I've been told while parking in D7 to 'get that f***ing Cork car out of Dublin'

I've also had snide anti Dublin comments in Cork too.

I think the Cork-Dublin thing is fading away though. It's just the usual second city syndrome that all second cities have.

The attitude of some Dubs to non-Dublin is crazy though. I don't think some of you realise how hostile it can get from a small minority of total asshats though.

There's also a total lack of appreciation that there are cities and major urban areas outside of Dublin too.

I mean Cork is a significant urban area which includes things like EU HQs of Apple, huge pharma sector etc etc etc

I'm a Dub who lives in Cork.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Notice non Dubs are usually very open about telling you how ****e Dublin. No idea why. I dont go around saying Ennis is a ****hole etc.

Dont get the attitude at all. There are arseholes, knackers, snobs etc everywhere in Ireland, Dublin as the capital just has more and its more visible
    I have a limited experience with Dubliners but they have a bad reputation where i come from, i don't buy into it though, i've learned that there are scumbags everywhere.

Nail on the head from both of yiz! Ill readily admit we have some absolute ****holes, and a few of these areas i love because theyre the areas i grew up around and i know them well, but we also love some lovely spots. Its the same with any county, but dublin has a far greater population than any other county.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I've found it works both ways between cork and Dublin.

Most people don't give a toss in either city but the odd asshat does.

I mean for example I've been told while parking in D7 to 'get that f***ing Cork car out of Dublin'

I've also had snide anti Dublin comments in Cork too.

I think the Cork-Dublin thing is fading away though. It's just the usual second city syndrome that all second cities have.

The attitude of some Dubs to non-Dublin is crazy though. I don't think some of you realise how hostile it can get from a small minority of total asshats though.

There's also a total lack of appreciation that there are cities and major urban areas outside of Dublin too.

I mean Cork is a significant urban area which includes things like EU HQs of Apple, huge pharma sector etc etc etc

I'm a Dub who lives in Cork.

Maybe I'm blinded to it or its a case of the more rural parts of Dublin or something but the most rivalry I've seen from the Dublin side is slagging Cork about being boggers/farmers etc. but none of the lads would ever start a conversation with a Cork person by tellin them how **** their home is. I was listenin to a conversation the other day from some lads sayin that there should be no sign within cork because all you need to know is that youre in cork and that should be enough, followed by how cork should be its own country...and then theres the rebel passport thing, and theyve the nerve to say were arrogant O_o most of my mates in cork are from kerry, far more down to earth crowd ive found (generalisation i know but thats just what ive found)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It'd say it's more of an issue with Skangers from both cities to be honest.

The People's Republic of Cork thing is largely tongue in cheek. Although since the banking crisis and IMF bailout you'd never know lol.

Might be time to declare a new republic and leave the old one as a few buildings in the IFSC with a big fence around them :)

Debt?... Ask the lads down the docks in Ireland 1.0

Tongue in cheeks but some boys take it a bit too seriously haha
    haha say that now but I can see that bein some expensive area when the recession finally ****s off! Docklands is only gettin nicer...and east wall gettin more and more hidden :L

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

Born in Dublin, parents from two different counties south and west. Have worked in Sligo, Kerry and Cork, now working again in Dublin.

To some in Dublin, I'm a culchie. To some in the country, I'm a jackeen.

Thankfully most of the people I meet, whether in Dublin or anywhere else in the country, don't put any labels on me.

For me, those who do are saying more about themselves then they are about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

C'mon the Culceen's

21/25

• Site Banned Posts: 16 steve_wonder

one thing ive noticed about the country , brad pitt could walk into a nightclub in bally____ and wouldn't score unless he was mickey joes cousin or at least was someones cousin

city folk have more time for meritrocrocy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Don't mind a little banter and slagging. I don't like the self-hating culchies who think once they have moved to Dublin they have made it.

Have been living in Dublin for 7years. I have found the odd person who tells me that I am from a total kip . There's alot of people who think that everyone not from Dublin is a farmer.
    One guy accused me of stealing jobs from dubs.
    Where I am from is lovely there just isn't any pharma companies there for me to work in. I would leave Dublin in a heartbeat if I could not because I hate Dublin, but because my little village in Limerick is awesome.

The biggest issue I have with Dublin is the class divide. Back home you send your kids to the local school, here you have to worry about the 'right school'.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

Not everyone outside of dublin live in villages or are farmers. I always think its funny when a dub says 'Go feed you cows' to anyone who doesn't live in Dublin.

I love how a lot of dubs say that as if it is some form of insult, "Loike OMG, you live on a foorrm? isn't that loike so smelly"
    These clowns need to grow up... and to think that these people look down on "boggers" as if the boggers are the ones with inferior intellect

one thing ive noticed about the country , brad pitt could walk into a nightclub in bally____ and wouldn't score unless he was mickey joes cousin or at least was someones cousin

city folk have more time for meritrocrocy

What a load of absolute ****, does a certain drumcondra mafia and all the FF old boys network not ring a bell? as just a simple one off example.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

I dont think you can attribute a inferiority complex to a group of people based on where they grew up, you can, but it would be silly to speculate in such a way quite simply because of individuality

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 16 steve_wonder

Oakboy wrote: »
    What a load of absolute ****, does a certain drumcondra mafia and all the FF old boys network not ring a bell? as just a simple one off example.

not talking about politics but their is a real clannish thing in rural Ireland where unless people know your or at least know someone who knows you , they wont care what talents you have , the city isn't the same in this regard

btw , that's not to say everyone from the country is like this but most who stay there are

not talking about politics but their is a real clannish thing in rural Ireland where unless people know your or at least know someone who knows you , they wont care what talents you have , the city isn't the same in this regard

btw , that's not to say everyone from the country is like this but most who stay there are

You are still saying "most" are which is complete and utter tripe. And a meritocracy has everything to do with politics and dublin showed it has been far from one in political circles.

If you came out with this utter tripe about any other sector of society you would be swiftly and rightly roundly derided. What's wrong with you?

Rural people don't care what talents you have? Please that is the biggest load of horsesh!t I have ever read. What is wrong with you that you can come to such a conclusion? Both my parents came from the shticks, with no clout and a poor background and have done pretty well for themselves and never experienced anything like the rubbish you are spouting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

I'm from the midlands,been working in a bar in dublin city centre that would be frequented by mostly dubs aged from 30 to 60,not too many people from outside dublin would drink in it,and only one of the other barmen is not from dublin,the majority,the vast majority of people are not dicks and wouldn't care where your from,but some are idiots,like everywhere!worst I have had is a group of dubs after the all ireland semi final with kerry this year signing a song about goin culchie bashin at the top of their voices,and one at the bar tell me how he couldn't go to coppers or anywhere like that that night as "it would be infested with culchie scum,smelling the place up with ****e on their boots and acting like animals" and how he "****in hates culchie f#cks and anyone not from dublin"...this man was as serious as they come!

all I could do was laugh and feel sorry for the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Dublin insignificant? We have the European HQ of Google, Facebook & Twitter here. The HQ of Europe's largest airline. There are countless others that have Dublin as their European HQ. Seems a significant small to medium sized European city to me.

BTW I've never once heard any Dub compare our city to New York etc

You better hope the low corporation tax doesnt go up or all those companies will be gone elsewhere, thats the only reason they are in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Moved to Galway from Dublin last year for college, the slagging I get for being a Dub is ridiculous. I'm the only one in my course, one of few enough in the entire college. I'm not looking forward to Monday because of the abuse I'll get if Dublin lose.

On the flip side, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about people from outside of Dublin in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'll never get this insecurity thing because Cork people like the fact that Cork is not a large city. Which kind of fucks up the theory somewhat.
    The real capital thing is what is known as a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Vita nova wrote: »
    And yet you took the time to read and reply to the thread.

Also, maybe if you didn't refer to the locals as culchies then you'd have more positive experiences to relate.
    It's an open discussion thread and I decided to reply, as is my right.

My experiences in Wexford have been so positive, that I have decided to spend my life here. The point I was raising is that some 'locals' as you put it, seem to get very worked up about Dubs, while Dubs (generally) don't give a monkeys on the subject. I refer to those with a Dub fixation as Culchies, for that is what they are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oakboy wrote: »
    Plus one.
    There's an element of that alright.

Both of the above are clannish and an Irish thing more than a rural/urban thing IMHO. It may be more concentrated in some rural settings because the smaller social environment lends itself to it*, but sadly it's pretty much everywhere in our culture. Oakboy's example being a perfect one. For me there's far more of a gombeen/normal folks divide and gombeens have no geography or accent.

In any event the culshie/jackeen thing is a bit daft in one way. Most Jackeens today have parents or grandparents who hailed from beyond the Pale. Few enough would go back in the place before the 40's and 50's. So for many Jackeens it's a case of well done doofus, you're slagging your own people.

* I remember discussing this sorta thing with a mate's dad who originally came from small town Ireland. He reckoned a lot of what appears clannish is down to a simple lack of choice, especially back in the day. He reckoned rural people were more likely to be loyal to one thing, whether that be a political type or a service because of this. EG everyone would go to Mark the mechanic, even if he was a shyster, because the nearest mechanic might be 30 miles away and if you pissed off Mark you could be stuck, whereas if you were in Cork or Dublin or Galway you had the choice to tell mark to eff off and go to Joe down the road. Plus in a small town it was all too easy to be socially exiled if you didn't walk in step.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mena02

I'm a dub born of "Culchie" parents and as my dad used to say " the definition of a Dublin man is a Culchie mans son". I think a lot of harmless slagging goes on between both culchies and dubs but you do come across the odd ignorant person that can be nasty. I have now lived outside Dublin for the last 12 yrs in co. meath and I hate to say it but there dislike for dubs is very obvious (not everyone but a lot) and unfounded, it makes me sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Rubeter wrote: »
    I'll never get this insecurity thing because Cork people like the fact that Cork is not a large city. Which kind of fucks up the theory somewhat.
    The real capital thing is what is known as a joke.

be quiet you, if the buggers bite then keep winding them up is my motto.

Advertisement