Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worms

• 21-07-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

My puppy(9weeks approx) has what looks like,roundworms. I gave 1/10th of zanter (as directed by the vet) over 2 weeks ago and another 1/10th on Tuesday.
    There is still worms in the feces. Does it normally take this long to work?
    I am thinking about going to the vets tomorrow but I am wondering if the vet will just say thats nothing can be given for another 2 weeks.
    I also read that they are harmful to people especially children and am kinda freaked out now!
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I use parazole wormer for young puppies and kittens, it's a liquid wormer, you weigh the animal and dose by weight, the instructions are on the box.
    You give 3 doses over 3 days, then repeat a month later.
    I get it from my vet with a little syringe for dosing(the type with no needle), its a difficult job getting it into kittens, puppies are easier, and will often take it on food.
    It's good stuff and easy on their stomachs, but I can take a week for all the worms to pass with a heavy worm burden.

Keep washing bedding etc, wash your hands after petting pup and before eating, just be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Thanks for that. I will call my local vet tomorrow and see can she give me that.
    I was worried if I go down tomorrow she would tell me to wait and come back later as the pup has only recently taken something and I would be out of pocket twice.
    The pup had the runs and vomited the day after her second tablet and I am thinking maybe this affected the tablet working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The day after the tablet shouldn't make any difference, it should have been absorbed by then.
    The tablets can give the runs a little, and with a heavy burden you may see jelly like poop.
    I would be concerned if you are still seeing worms after the second dose, maybe mention this to your vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I also read that they are harmful to people especially children and am kinda freaked out now!
    There are a few type of roundworm in dogs, the most common is Toxocara canis and Toxascaris leonina which your puppy is most likely to have. Its not the adult worm itself that can cause problems for humans, but the ingestion of their eggs. I've highlighted the term "ingestion" as it's a common belief that simply getting faecal material on skin or in the eye is enough to cause problems.

The egg must be eaten whereby potentially it can lead to Ocular larval migrans (larvae migrating to the eye) or Visceral larval migrans (tissue migration). In short, humans are the wrong host for this nematode worm and the normal lifecycle that is completed in the dog, goes awry in humans. It is a "rare" occurrence so don't panic, but if you feel your child has ingested contaminated soil bring them to your doctor.

Thanks. These things look like curled up elastic bands if you get me. I seen them a few times but didn't even know they were worms until today...eek
    I have a younger sister but she should be ok. Wasnt really with the pup too much(mainly because im worried she will step on her) or out the back and always washes her hands.after shes petted her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If your vet weighed the puppy, he was probably accurate with the dose, OP. But you need to re-worm puppies repeatedly because they re-infect themselves. So don't worry that you are still seeing worms in the poop. Zantec has the same active ingredient as Drontal - it's a good wormer.

boomerang wrote: »
    If your vet weighed the puppy, he was probably accurate with the dose, OP. But you need to re-worm puppies repeatedly because they re-infect themselves. So don't worry that you are still seeing worms in the poop. Zantec has the same active ingredient as Drontal - it's a good wormer.
    Grand so would it be ok to just continue giving the same dose every two weeks?
    Shes to get her second needles next week so I will mention it to the vet then as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

She is growing fast so she may need more of the wormer than 1/10th of a tablet at her next dose. Ask the vet to weigh her when you visit next week.

Advertisement