Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum...D14 or D16?

Options
  • 21-07-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I have not reached the post count to post in the Dublin section.

Anyway, is Dundrum in D14 or D16?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Marvel at my ability to do a simple search !
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundrum,_Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I am marveled at your ability. Do you know if there is a map that shows the division between D14 and D16?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

i'm not sure of the local dynamics of dundrum, but its probably like many other locations in Dublin, bits fall into both post codes...

the easiest way to identify a specific address is to use an posts address finder, that will tell you what postal code the road falls under

http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx?utm_source=home&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=AddressChecker

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

thanks james. turns out my address is D16

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Moved from gents club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Moved to Dublin County South

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The whole area was originally all D14 and many elderly and status conscious residents of Ballinteer still insist on putting Ballinteer, Dublin 14 as their address. D14 being seen as a more 'affluent' number then 16. Not as bad as Dublin 6 / 6W though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Openstreetmap.org shows the postcode boundaries.

In Dundrum, Barton Road East is the boundary followed by the LUAS line to the east towards Drummartin Link Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

lxflyer wrote: »
    Openstreetmap.org shows the postcode boundaries.

In Dundrum, Barton Road East is the boundary followed by the LUAS line to the east towards Drummartin Link Road.

Here's a view that will show the OSM postal district boundaries more clearly:

http://layers.openstreetmap.fr/?zoom=14&lat=53.29332&lon=-6.25783&layers=0B000FFFFFFFFFFFFTFFFFFFFF

It is very much an inexact science as there is no open definitive data source for the postal districts so let us know if there any any areas that need refining.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Here's a view that will show the OSM postal district boundaries more clearly:

http://layers.openstreetmap.fr/?zoom=14&lat=53.29332&lon=-6.25783&layers=0B000FFFFFFFFFFFFTFFFFFFFF

It is very much an inexact science as there is no open definitive data source for the postal districts so let us know if there any any areas that need refining.

It's a very odd map to look at, whoever designed them seems to have followed some bizarre mapping logic, why is Shankill in Dublin 18 rather than Co. Dublin like all its neighbours? Or why is Phoenix Park in Dublin 8? It's all a bit mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

I Or why is Phoenix Park in Dublin 8? It's all a bit mad.

Maybe the president didn't want a 'Northside' odd number postal district code ;-)

http://www.president.ie/contact/

Áras an Uachtaráin
    Phoenix Park,
    Dublin 8

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Maybe the president didn't want a 'Northside' odd number postal district code ;-)

http://www.president.ie/contact/

Áras an Uachtaráin
    Phoenix Park,
    Dublin 8

Actually the trough seperation between Northside and south side is the Center column of the GPO

This post explains why the Phoenix Park and Conyngham Road are in Dublin 8.
    There is a very simple, practical reason why the Phoenix Park is in Dublin 8 and it has nothing whatever to do with snobbery but with practicality. Long before there were postal codes the James's St Postal Sorting Office looked after the Phoenix Park because it was considered to be closer and more convenient than Phibsborough (Dublin 7). James's St continued in this role when the postal codes were introduced so Dublin 8 it had to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That map is pretty cool but it's missing Dublin 10 (Ballyfermot) and Dublin 20 (Chapelizod). You can see where they are marked out though.
    Also, in relation to the Coynygham Road being in Dublin 8 thing, there is a street just off Park Gate St called Temple Street West (along the Luas Tracks) which is in D7 but more southerly than the adjacent D8 street.

Omackeral wrote: »
    That map is pretty cool but it's missing Dublin 10 (Ballyfermot) and Dublin 20 (Chapelizod). You can see where they are marked out though.
    Also, in relation to the Coynygham Road being in Dublin 8 thing, there is a street just off Park Gate St called Temple Street West (along the Luas Tracks) which is in D7 but more southerly than the adjacent D8 street.

Dublin 10 and 20 are marked on it as such when I look at it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That map, AFAIK, is wrong in so far as everything to the east/right of Ballinteer road & Wyckham Way is D14. I also understand that Hilton Gardens managed to somehow become an enclave of D14 within D16?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    That map, AFAIK, is wrong in so far as everything to the east/right of Ballinteer road & Wyckham Way is D14. I also understand that Hilton Gardens managed to somehow become an enclave of D14 within D16?

Not according to the An Post website - they are all D16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

It's a very odd map to look at, whoever designed them seems to have followed some bizarre mapping logic, why is Shankill in Dublin 18 rather than Co. Dublin like all its neighbours? Or why is Phoenix Park in Dublin 8? It's all a bit mad.

The oddness is partly as a result of us (OpenStreetMap mappers) having limited sources to go on for where the boundaries really fall. The Phoenix Park thing is accurate (as is Farmleigh being in D15 and not D8). But in many areas, especially around the whole Naas Road/Ballymount area, it's hard to know exactly which district any address is in. So for this we need people to help us out by telling us where we've got it wrong.

The Shankill situation is an example of another common uncertainty - how far out you need to go before you are outside a district and in County Dublin. We have this uncertainty for D11, D15 and D24 in particular.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

lxflyer wrote: »
    Not according to the An Post website - they are all D16.

Yea Sandyford Road is D16 according to anpost.

I used to live on Wyckham Way and I always thought I was right at the boundary of D16/D14, but it seems not.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

mackerski wrote: »
    The oddness is partly as a result of us (OpenStreetMap mappers) having limited sources to go on for where the boundaries really fall. The Phoenix Park thing is accurate (as is Farmleigh being in D15 and not D8). But in many areas, especially around the whole Naas Road/Ballymount area, it's hard to know exactly which district any address is in. So for this we need people to help us out by telling us where we've got it wrong.

The Shankill situation is an example of another common uncertainty - how far out you need to go before you are outside a district and in County Dublin. We have this uncertainty for D11, D15 and D24 in particular.

Ah ok, good stuff, I've always found the postal districts quite interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

it all changed when the sorting office was opened on edmondstown road, prior to this the main sorting office was churchtown (beside supervalu) and the whole district was D14. (Sandyford was Co. Dublin) Then as green fields became housing estates a new sorting office was needed and this was given the D16 code.

I don't know the timing, but my guess is circa 1980 - 1985 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I've always thought D16 was an odd postcode. It seems to have two completely separate parts, divided by St Enda's and Marlay Park. This would have been even more pronounced when Taylor's Lane was a windy deathtrap with no footpaths. The Dundrum/Ballinteer side is functionally separate from the Knocklyon/Ballyboden side. Not to mention the fact that the two different sides are in different counties (DLR versus South Dublin), and afaik different constituencies. I'm not trying to get all D6W-vs-D12 on this, but it just never made much sense to me until now (i.e. finding out that the sorting office was in Edmondstown). In fact, it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering that much of the eastern side of D16 would still have been closer to the Churchtown. I don't think I'll ever understand Dublin postcodes...

Advertisement