Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Applegreen Motorway Site at Cullenmore Ashford NOW OPEN

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The northbound/ ESSO has been around the going rate for petrol for a good while, but I'd agree before that they've been on the pricey side.

However, it's bound to effect the trade of both of the Kilmac stations - why would you queue the cramped stations when you can go a few miles down the road to the new one? It might solve the problem of vehicles blocking the entire junction at the northbound one by parking on the double yellow's opposite the esso (sure once they can get their coffee, who cares about the people trying to use the slip road?), which when the queue for petrol backs out onto the road means nothing can move coming from the R755. Also it'll be interesting to see does it reduce the kamikaze's coming out of the south bound station.

Hard to know how they'll effect Ashford and Rathnew petrol stations - they're normally ok prices, and most of their trade would be passing local traffic I'd imagine. Not sure (after an initial visit for a nosey) that local traffic will go out of their way to the applegreen.

But in saying that i noticed the price jumped up from the orignal pics to 156.8 for petrol and 145.8 for diesel (i think) while applegreen in rathnew village is 153.8 for petrol and 142.8 for diesel.
    Thats a 3 cent difference for the same garage brand 5 minutes apart from each other and puts the new garage near the same price as the 2 in kilmac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

As a local, I try and use the Rathnew petrol station on my way to work as it's normally the best price. But getting in and out and queuing can be a nightmare, so if it's full, I'll keep going to Ashford and lump the extra cent. Since I'm going up the N11 to Dublin I would definitely be more likely to stop in the new service station if it's sensibly priced.

I've never understood why the south bound killmac garage is so often packed with massive queues since it is always over priced. These people must have come from Dublin or somewhere that has cheaper prices or be going further south to somewhere else that has decent prices, yet the queue is often massive there as I commute home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Took the kids there for a BK lunch today since they have the day off school and I'm working from home. It was completely heaving! The diesel was 4c more than rathnew I think which is a shame. At that price I'll still be going into Ashford when Rathnew is full. Guess they'll get enough business off the N11 to keep the 4c premium though. Certainly was busy looking today and unlike BK, the petrol is hardly a novelty to the locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Off topic a bit - Tougher Newtown today 153.9 for petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

LEIN wrote: »
    They have been overpriced for years because there was no real competition. In my opinion this will be good for the consumer.

This is true.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Ashford 14 I was just wondering how you are getting on there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

BigMoose wrote: »
    I've never understood why the south bound killmac garage is so often packed with massive queues since it is always over priced.
    The ice cream cones. You can fill it yourself and make it as big as you like.
    Bit of a bummer if it topples over and falls on your shoe on the way out though :mad:

Advertisement