Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratching, Biting and Licking?

• 21-07-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

I've noticed since Friday evening that Shadow has been scratching at several "hot spots", namely his armpits, front elbows and general belly area. He's also biting and licking around his front legs and paws. I had spot-on treatments here ready for him, but they haven't made a difference. I got a good look at where he was scratching, and all the skin around his belly (and anywhere else he has white fur) is very pink/red, quite hot to the touch, and if I scratch it at all, it sends his scratching foot haywire! (which is something I could never normally get him to do). I've been informed that it might be a heat rash, since there are no bite marks, no visible ticks or mites and no localised rashes. His entire abdomen is hot and red :(

Now, I can't get to my vet until Tuesday (no car and she only visits the clinic three times a week) so I'm hoping someone can advise me on some things I could do to alleviate the itching. We gave him a cool bath last night with doggy aloe vera shampoo (which seriously helped with the immense amount of fur he is blowing) but has not helped with the itching. His diet hasn't changed either.

Advertisement