Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education

Options
  • 21-07-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am aware that there are multiple threads on this school, but in all honesty, a lot of the more informative ones date from 2008-2009, four to five years ago.

I am contemplating attending this school for sixth year. My current school does not have a lot of opportunities, for example, I can only study French as a language and subjects like accounting and applied maths don't even run a t all.

My questions are the following:

1) The current environment in my school lacks focus and determination. I am afraid their lack of motivation is rubbling off on me, because I am noticeably lazier. What is the environment like in the Institute?

2) Are the teachers of a really high standard? Is there a lot of girls doing Higher Level Maths? (There wasn't in my old school so I felt out of place. It was okay though, I consistently topped the class)

3) Is it a far walk from Parnell Street?

4) I understand there are no lockers, so if I were to commute would I have a heavy bag? Would I need a hardback and a copy for each subject as I do now?

5) Are the people intelligent or just there on 'daddy's money'? Why do so many people want to go there? Is everyone friendly and accepting?

6) What do people do during lunch breaks?

7) Is the interview daunting? What if you can't afford the fees but desperately need a place there? Will they just wave goodbye and hold the door open for you?

I think this all for now! Opinions would be appreciated! Is there any similar schools in Dublin City? Thanks for your time, sorry I rambled!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Safiya_

I attended the Institute this past year for 6th year and it was honestly the best decision I ever made. My old school lacked exam focus and I knew I really needed to work hard as I was aiming for Veterinary.

1) It can be a bit intimidating at first but I settled down and began working from the get go. Most people there are aiming for high points or just simply want to do their best and the institute allowed for that. The classes are intense but informal and there can be a competitive atmosphere which I found to be a great push.
    2) The teachers are the best in the business. Everything they teach you is exam-focused and to the point. They know the marking schemes inside out and they make you want to do better every time. You won't be as close to your teachers here compared to your old school because of the sheer number of students but they will always make time for you if you are having difficulties. Don't get offended if they don't remember who you are though!
    3) It's down by Stephen's Green so yeah, a fair walk.
    4) There are no lockers, but if you plan and are organised, there should be no reason to be carrying around a huge bag. I used to bring an extra bag with the material I was going to study that evening and leave it by my coat, it's perfectly safe to do so!
    5) It's a healthy mix of people, really diverse. Some aim high, for the medicine, dentistry and veterinary courses. Some want to take the 400 points and run with it. A lot of people are repeat students. There's a minority there that don't do a tap and are there just because of the reputation and the notion that the Institute is a factory that spits out 625 points Leaving Certs, but they're a small minority. Everyone is in the same boat, I found it to have a great learning atmosphere and I made fantastic friends there.
    6) The study hall is open during lunch so most days I had a bite to eat at one of the cafés around Leeson St and then headed back to work! There's a lunch room for the rainy days.
    7) The interview doesn't really determine whether you'll get in or not, it's really just to suss the student out, and warn them that it'll be a tough year. I really don't know anything about their finances unfortunately!

Hope this helps, best of luck with everything!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm kind of in a similar situation but I decided not to move schools in my final year, might still get grinds there though.
    LilyPetal wrote: »
    3) Is it a far walk from Parnell Street?

It's almost 2.5km away, past Stephen's Green So you're looking at maybe a half an hour walk :eek:

Where are you commuting from? A half an hour walk every morning after commuting isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I imagine there isn't much available for people with a 'need' to attend the Institute but don't have the necessary funds. It's a business and it's not a necessity, they want to make a profit at the end of the day. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

5) Are the people intelligent or just there on 'daddy's money'? Why do so many people want to go there? Is everyone friendly and accepting?

I just wanted to answer this , every year many people want to go as the institute hands out fantastic notes by brilliant teachers,many continue to believe getting these notes in their hand will get them the A , they forget that they actually have to put in enough work , so many on daddys money end up not doing as well as they think, it is honestly just up to the work you put in yourself!
    I'd say the institute will help you , you seem motivated etc so notes,teachers will benefit you but in my opinion i think you could do just as well in other schools without paying the large sum, just my view! I have seen brilliant results come out of free/low fee repeat schools

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mammy and Daddy paying a big whack gives lots of motivation to most people.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Mammy and Daddy paying a big whack gives lots of motivation to most people.

and makes no difference to many others

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LilyPetal

Thanks for all the answers, I really appreciate it. I'm moving schools anyways, so you can see why the institute is a viable option, with their ability to cover a two year course in one year.

I know some of you think I would do well in any school, I re-iterate the point that several subjects don't run in my school and I would get the opportunity to take them in the Institute.

I'm travelling from Drogheda so yes, it's a bit of a commute.

Thanks for all the answers, I really appreciate it. I'm moving schools anyways, so you can see why the institute is a viable option, with their ability to cover a two year course in one year.

I know some of you think I would do well in any school, I re-iterate the point that several subjects don't run in my school and I would get the opportunity to take them in the Institute.

I'm sure you will do well in the institute,keep the head down and try to focus just on your own study, i know i often compared myself to others, best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

I'm aware of different experiences of students in the Institute. However
    have you factored in how tiring a long commute might be?
    If you do end up going, take the train to Pearse or Bus Eireann 101x which goes very close to Leeson Street rather than Matthew's bus to Dorset St.

clunked wrote: »
    I'm aware of different experiences of students in the Institute. However
    have you factored in how tiring a long commute might be?
    If you do end up going, take the train to Pearse or Bus Eireann 101x which goes very close to Leeson Street rather than Matthew's bus to Dorset St.

Yes, I'm considering all my options. Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 kiki94

I was a student last year and commuted from drogheda. It is very manageable. Bus eireann's 100x leaves/drops you at the institutes door and is much faster (1 hour) and cheaper (around €37 - student fare) than the Matthews bus, plus no walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

I attended the Institute 3 years ago. If you asked me after the results I would have said it was great but now I think it wasn't so good. Sure I got the points I needed but I never really got a proper feel for certain topics until I did them more practically in college. It basically is just a pile of rote learning that is no good to anyone. I remember learning geography and it was just SRP essay after essay. However that isn't really the Institute's fault but the leaving cert's fault for being an exam that rewards rote learning and lacks scope for creativity and the ability to think for yourself.

irish_man wrote: »
    I attended the Institute 3 years ago. If you asked me after the results I would have said it was great but now I think it wasn't so good. Sure I got the points I needed but I never really got a proper feel for certain topics until I did them more practically in college. It basically is just a pile of rote learning that is no good to anyone. I remember learning geography and it was just SRP essay after essay. However that isn't really the Institute's fault but the leaving cert's fault for being an exam that rewards rote learning and lacks scope for creativity and the ability to think for yourself.

I also think its the fact that they cover each course in one year. One of the reasons I want to attend is the opportunity to take up Applied Maths because it is not offered in my school. Plus, it overlaps a lot with HL Maths (though I don't know how much due to project maths). I don't do subjects like Geography or History. However, I do take business and Art. Do you know how they were handled in the institute?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

No work is whats good for getting you points.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm pretty sure you meant to put a comma after that "no", Corvo!

The importance of punctuation ... remember Uncle Jack! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Makes sense either way so nobody really knows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I attended the Institute for two years. It was definitely right for me - I left a school I'd been bullied in and that I'd hated. If you want to work, the teachers push everything into you to get you the best grades. If you don't bother, they'll leave you behind. If you struggle in a subject but try to talk to the teachers, they'll usually help you.

There's messers like in every school, I think six or seven out of the 300(ish) who were in fifth year with me repeated sixth year, either in the institute or somewhere else. You just have to work out if it's worth it in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Blue_Shoes

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread just for this question so apologies if I shouldn't have put this here.

Anyway... Do you think that the institute is more suited to sixth year students or is it more geared towards students repeating the LC?

I heard from someone there that it is of greater benefit to repeat students. I know it's the same course for all and the same teaching and so on and so forth but
    Just looking for anyone's opinion/experience of this. Would be a great help. Thanks very much :-) .

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

I suppose repeat students have the benefit of having covered the courses and sat the exams already, although it's possible to go straight into their "sixth form" and complete the leaving certificate in one year at a very young age if you want to.

The atmosphere is good and probably more diverse than most schools. Many international students take the leaving cert there as a foundation for courses abroad. A high proportion of the students are preparing for courses that demand high points (and often a large financial commitment) but just as many do PLCs, repeat multiple times or enter relatively low-point courses in private colleges.

Students have the opportunity to choose their own subjects and can often select their teachers too, although attendance is compulsory from 09:30 to 15:30. On one hand, your performance can be boosted by choosing the teacher whose approach suits you best but there aren't really any consequences if you're consistently lazy. It's also not entirely fair that a teacher can lose their job just because they're not popular with teenagers. Edit: In many sessions, the number of students to each teacher is through the roof. You certainly don't get a personal service in the Institute.

You could have a great experience in IOE but as others have said, it's ultimately a business and money does talk louder than merit. There's no reason why you couldn't have just as good an experience in a college that's open to the public. It's slightly alarming that they display photos of past pupils who received full Ad Astra scholarships despite forfeiting free education up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Blue_Shoes

jrmb wrote: »
    I suppose repeat students have the benefit of having covered the courses and sat the exams already, although it's possible to go straight into their "sixth form" and complete the leaving certificate in one year at a very young age if you want to.

The atmosphere is good and probably more diverse than most schools. Many international students take the leaving cert there as a foundation for courses abroad. A high proportion of the students are preparing for courses that demand high points (and often a large financial commitment) but just as many do PLCs, repeat multiple times or enter relatively low-point courses in private colleges.

Students have the opportunity to choose their own subjects and can often select their teachers too, although attendance is compulsory from 09:30 to 15:30. On one hand, your performance can be boosted by choosing the teacher whose approach suits you best but there aren't really any consequences if you're consistently lazy. It's also not entirely fair that a teacher can lose their job just because they're not popular with teenagers. Edit: In many sessions, the number of students to each teacher is through the roof. You certainly don't get a personal service in the Institute.

You could have a great experience in IOE but as others have said, it's ultimately a business and money does talk louder than merit. There's no reason why you couldn't have just as good an experience in a college that's open to the public. It's slightly alarming that they display photos of past pupils who received full Ad Astra scholarships despite forfeiting free education up to that point.

Thank you for your detailed response :-) Ah yes I heard about the large student to teacher ratio there. Classes have more of a lecture style I guess. Personally I wouldn't mind it but I suppose it wouldn't be ideal for every subject (maybe maths). But they have their good reputation and clearly it's working so what would I know!
    Anyway, Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement