Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming a few in the garden

• 21-07-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey guys,

so my dad has a farm 4 miles from our house where he keeps some suckler cows

I have a few hundred euro to spare and have 3 acres of good land at the back of my house and always wanted to have some calves or wealings in it.

Is it too late in the year to go buying and sell in October?

if not what should i keep there? 3 calfs or something?

would it be hard to make a few quid? it would be a good experience for me as a farmer im only 17.

thanks guys and i welcome any advice in what to do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Would you consider sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭STEEL COMET

KatyMac wrote: »

havent got a sheep flock number :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

havent got a sheep flock number :pac:

My neighbour keeps a small flock of ewes. No tags or paperwork. All lambs sold to a butcher and neighbours for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Masseymad

maybe you should make hay/silage and sell it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Make hay/silage for this year - I think it's too late to be looking at anything else. You could get a nice few bales that when sold could go towards the 'animal' fund.
    If you really want to go into calves get them early next year and you would need some form of shelter for them.
    Are you any way experienced with calves? They can go well, but they can also go very badly wrong, especially if you don't know what to look for in the way of sickness. I've been buying 3 weeks old calves for years and still don't know all there is that can happen to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

maybe you should make hay/silage and sell it smile.png

i think this would be the most sensible option; take one cut of hay/silage and then buy store lambs. fencing would be very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Calves will graze it like sheep do, I had the calves eat my lawn then the heatwave and drought finished it.

BPxKWIUCYAAPTCB.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭STEEL COMET

Make hay/silage for this year - I think it's too late to be looking at anything else. You could get a nice few bales that when sold could go towards the 'animal' fund.
    If you really want to go into calves get them early next year and you would need some form of shelter for them.
    Are you any way experienced with calves? They can go well, but they can also go very badly wrong, especially if you don't know what to look for in the way of sickness. I've been buying 3 weeks old calves for years and still don't know all there is that can happen to them!

I cut bales on it 4 weeks ago got 35 sold them to a friend on the cheap :rolleyes: anyway i think you could be right about waiting till next year i have a small shelter/cover in the field.... do you think i could winter out a few wealings? if not what should i do next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

dunno what you should do, but I'd say you shouldnt outwinter on such a small area of land as you need to keep some land fresh for the spring too, you'd be dividing too small a plot.

Spend the winter fencing, cutting back your ditches and maximising the ground you have, there's no cheaper land than the stuff you own that's hidden under briars etc.

if you have the fencing for them then maybe some store lambs, I got some good info on them a few months back in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80878933

the dogs thing has put me off, been watching the place since and I'd often enough see dogs crossing our or neighbours fields, not a good start with sheep.

Advertisement