Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange red and black buttons I've never seen before

Options
  • 21-07-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this. I just got the keys to an apartment I started renting and came across these red and black buttons in the sitting room that I've never seen before.

There are three of these in the sitting room and they appear nowhere else in the apartment. I didn't have time to figure them out but I pressed the red and black buttons in but they only go in so far and are sprung to go back to the same position as in the pic. I had to head off then but took a couple of pics to ask on here.

I had thought they were a switch of some sort but I'm not sure. It almost seems like it's a electrical socket for some kind of plug and the sprung red and black buttons just protect it from people putting their fingers in?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Possible that its for speaker cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

They look like speaker terminals

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

You could be right, I never even thought of that. The owner must have had a serious home entertainment system to go to that bother. The terminals are only on three of the walls opposite the corner where the tv would most likely go so maybe for surround sound?

Thanks for the help, I was really scratching my head on this one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Yes surround sound system sounds likely. I would be over the moon to move into a place that had a setup like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

djimi wrote: »
    Yes surround sound system sounds likely. I would be over the moon to move into a place that had a setup like that!

I can't remember seeing cables in the corner where the tv would go but they must be there, I'd love to make use of it if I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

A friend set up a system similar to this, instead of wires running along the floor and looking messy the owner ran them behind the walls

there should be corresponding outlets where ever the surround sound system was set up, you'll connect the surround sound speaker output to the panel near the surround sound and then the speaker to the panel you have in the picture -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

djimi wrote: »

I'm of the exact same thinking!

Advertisement