Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacGawleys of Killashee

Options
  • 21-07-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I don't know if this is the right place to post but, short of taking a trip to Killashee and asking around, I don't know where else to ask.

I just discovered the baptism record for my Irish grandfather, Patrick Joseph MacGawley (which, at some point, changed to McCauley), which informed me that he hailed from Killashee. His address is listed as Clonmore, although I have no idea what that is (a farm, perhaps)?

Google tells me that Killashee is a village of 200ish which makes me think (hope) that there's a good chance there are still some MacGawleys around.

So, Patrick MacGawley, son of John MacGawley (or McGawley) and Elizabeth Connaughton, born 1926, moved to Birmingham, England at some point before 1954. Any takers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Lianachu wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the right place to post but, short of taking a trip to Killashee and asking around, I don't know where else to ask.

I just discovered the baptism record for my Irish grandfather, Patrick Joseph MacGawley (which, at some point, changed to McCauley), which informed me that he hailed from Killashee. His address is listed as Clonmore, although I have no idea what that is (a farm, perhaps)?

Google tells me that Killashee is a village of 200ish which makes me think (hope) that there's a good chance there are still some MacGawleys around.

So, Patrick MacGawley, son of John MacGawley (or McGawley) and Elizabeth Connaughton, born 1926, moved to Birmingham, England at some point before 1954. Any takers?
    Clonmore would be a townland name and possibly also the name of a house or farm in the area. Google maps show a Cloonmore just outside Killashee village.
    You could try asking here http://www.irelandxo.com/where-do-i-start#
    although details for the townlands in Killashee don't seem to have been entered.
    A look at the 1911 census may be a good idea too. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Lianachu wrote: »

I can check with some people I know from the area later this week and let you know.

As for Clonmore... it's a townland located near the village.

There's no one with the McGawley surname in Killashee anymore, but a family relative called Liam Murphy is still living in the Clonmore area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lianachu

That's a shame -- I wonder where they all went -- but thank you for checking for me!

I'm afraid I'm not sure, but I'm told that sisters of Patrick's may still be alive and living in other counties. I would say your best bet is to see if you can make contact with Liam Murphy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement