Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Word Problem

Options
  • 21-07-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies in advance - I cannot find the right forum on the site for this query.

I'm trying to insert a caption for a table into MS Word 2010.

I have ten tables currently in the document and I want to insert a table between table 2 and table 3. I do not want MS Word to do its normal thing and tag the new table as table 3 and then increment all subsequent table numbers by one.

What I want it to do is to insert number the new table as table 11 and all subsequent table numbers remain as they were previously.

How can I get MS Word to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Create the table and caption at the end, then paste it into the correct position.

Update caption numbers
    If you insert a new caption, Microsoft Office Word automatically updates the caption numbers. However, if you delete or move a caption, you must manually update the captions.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/word-help/add-or-delete-captions-HP001228982.aspx#BM4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Or you can do what I did in the end. I found out that updating the field code to add:

\r #

Where \r resets the field number to the number (#) following 'r' works a treat :)

Advertisement