Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FETAC Level 5 Entry to third level

Options
  • 21-07-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I studied a FETAC level 5 course in LCFE earlier this year and obtained a full award with 10 distinctions. I had applied for UCC for the "Comuter Science" course, but because my course did not have a maths module I dont think I will be getting a place :(. The FETAC website states:

"Must have distinctions in 5 modules (excluding G20001, 5N0690, W20008 and 5N1356) in the FETAC level 5/6 qualification which must include:
    C20139 or 5N1833 or C20175

Plus one of:
    C20013
    C20018 or 5N1774
    C20048 or 5N1460"

So the ones in bold up the top are the ones that are holding me back. The FETAC website also says that this course is:

"MAN - The score is used to rank FETAC applicants for consideration for entry to a FETAC quota course."

&

"ONE - The best score in a single FETAC assessment session are used for ranking purposes."

I really do not know what my next step is. I have been looking into applying for this level 6 course "http://www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/courses/2013/computing/advanced-certificate-in-networks-and-software-systems" but then this isnt one of the essential FETAC awards for my course, bit strange that a level 5 is but they dont have level 6 down :(. Is there anyway that I can do the maths module and have it added to my Level 5 Cert? or is this even possible since above it states that "The best score in a single FETAC assessment session are used for ranking purposes."

Does this mean that they wont count what I didnt do in the one year? Any help appreciated thanks!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Congratulations on your excellent results.

The best advice I can give re using your award to proceed to UCC is to contact the Admissions Office in UCC as they are the ones who determine the entry requirements. Ask them will you be considered for the course with your Level 5 without the Maths module (unlikely I would say) and get their reply in writing via email etc. They probably will also require that you have completed the outstanding Maths module in one sitting as part of your award but may accept it if completed in one year.

Also check where graduates of the level 6 award from Cork College of Commerce progress to. Pathways for Level 6 do exist but are organised between the FE college and the universities and Institutes of Technology and are often local agreements. Generally these agreements are with the "bigger" FE colleges eg Cork, Limerick, Cavan, Dublin colleges, etc so check with your own college as well.

The bottom line from your experience is always select the university course you want to progress to and work backwards to find the FETAC award and modules that you need to complete. But in the end the decision will lie with UCC in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bendoon

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I e-mailed UCC in the Admissions Office, and they said that I would not be considered without the maths module :(. So basically I will have to do a Level 6 now and take the maths on as an extra module, I think that "Essential FETAC Modules" can be taken at anytime, so I can use my FETAC 5 results and do the maths separately, its a bit of good news but still a massive set back for me as I am old enough at this point and cannot really afford to be sitting around for another year.

Advertisement