Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player Watchlist

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

manual_man wrote: »
    Has he not played nearly all their pre-season games though. Surely that would suggest he's good for a starting spot

I have to admit I'm skeptical myself as to how a person who left employment with West Ham for a bookies could have access to team selection information.

Morrisson has only come to the fore over the past few weeks. Perhaps RoryC could expand on this person's previous position with West Ham and when he left their employment?

My own opinion is that if Thomas is injured I'll take a chance on Morrision. I don't have .5 million spare to upgrade to a 5 mil midfielder and I should have two other playing subs (Turner and Chester) so a potential non playing mid shouldn't effect me for a few weeks until I wildcard.

I also reckon he'll at least get a run the odd game as a sub. From watching Allardyce closely during his Blackburn days, he isn't afraid to give youth a chance. Hoilett, Olsson, Jones and others like Hanley all made their debuts under him and were given runs in the team, often at the expense of more experienced players.

He also bought N'Zonzi with a view to being one for the future but then threw him straight into the first team because he looked good in pre season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

neither will be worth putting in to start with but if united fail to sign another midfielder and were to pick up an injury or two Januzaj could be a bargain at 5.0, he's going to be a great player, has been one of united's few pluses (along with zaha and Lingard, who's only 4.5 btw) in pre season.
    I know this is a fantasy football forum though so it's of no great concern to anyone what he'll be like in 2 or 3 season's but he is highly thought of at united and has been linked with barca and juve.
    if moyes really wants to keep him out of the clutches of barca he may start giving him gametime to convince him to sign a new contract.
    Like i said, not a player to read into now, but bear his name in mind as the season progress, and jesse lingard too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Has he not played nearly all their pre-season games though. Surely that would suggest he's good for a starting spot

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines, I had him in my team but don't think I'll have the balls to risk him for GW1 unless I have solid info that he is starting.
    problem is most people will have 3 chelsea players to get rid off and a good chance atleast 1 of the other players you pick will also not get the starts that people anticipated. I've asked this before on here but what position does morrisson play?

This is why I don't think I'll take the risk, too many transfers tied up getting rid of DGW players and getting in the players who hit the ground running in the first few GW's.
    Lemlin wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm skeptical myself as to how a person who left employment with West Ham for a bookies could have access to team selection information.

I wouldn't expect you to understand. Post reported.

little insider info for you lads.

Was at Stoke v Genoa pre season yesterday (0-0) and it's a completely different setup this season.

Actually playing football.

Charlie Adam played behind Crouch with Walters out on the right wing. Wilson on at half time and is playing in a defensive midfield role.

Stoke must have had 70% + possession and 2/3 clear goal chances (Walters missed badly from 6 yards, N'Zonzi blazed over when 1 on 1 and their keeper made a fine save from a Walters header).

For all the possession Stoke had, they didn't really turn up the heat too much. Adam is going to be the spark if there is to be one, he tested their keeper a few times and made some telling pinpoint passes switching the play from right to left.

If they can get a Defoe type player in the transfer window, pushing N'Zonzi back to DM, allowing Adam in the centre of the park and the Defoe player in the hole behind Crouch, they could actually be an entertaining team this season. Not having that outlet that a Defoe/Keane/Owen (@Prime) provides could blunt them terribly though. Keep an eye out for any signings!

Other than that Adam and Walters the only obvious points scorers (if Walters stays on penalties)

(Also, Pieters @LB and Muneisa (also a LB) are the two new signings which I think adds weight to the Wilson to Midfield train)

Yesterday's starting lineup
    Begovic
    Cameron Huth Shawcross Pieters
    Walters Palacios N'Zonzi Etherington
    Adam
    Crouch

little insider info for you lads.

Was at Stoke v Genoa pre season yesterday (0-0) and it's a completely different setup this season.

Actually playing football.

Charlie Adam played behind Crouch with Walters out on the right wing. Wilson on at half time and is playing in a defensive midfield role.

Stoke must have had 70% + possession and 2/3 clear goal chances (Walters missed badly from 6 yards, N'Zonzi blazed over when 1 on 1 and their keeper made a fine save from a Walters header).

For all the possession Stoke had, they didn't really turn up the heat too much. Adam is going to be the spark if there is to be one, he tested their keeper a few times and made some telling pinpoint passes switching the play from right to left.

If they can get a Defoe type player in the transfer window, pushing N'Zonzi back to DM, allowing Adam in the centre of the park and the Defoe player in the hole behind Crouch, they could actually be an entertaining team this season. Not having that outlet that a Defoe/Keane/Owen (@Prime) provides could blunt them terribly though. Keep an eye out for any signings!

Other than that Adam and Walters the only obvious points scorers (if Walters stays on penalties)

(Also, Pieters @LB and Muneisa (also a LB) are the two new signings which I think adds weight to the Wilson to Midfield train)

Yesterday's starting lineup
    Begovic
    Cameron Huth Shawcross Pieters
    Walters Palacios N'Zonzi Etherington
    Adam
    Crouch

I don't think Wilson will start but I'm keeping an eye on Pieters. He's an attacking left back.

Hughes has started that back four in every pre season game so he'll definitely be going with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Walters is definitely tempting. I imagine he's still on penos, and he's very much a Mark Hughes type of player. after GW1 Stoke have a fairly kind run of fixtures for a good while after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Zaha starts in the community shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Think I read that was Stoke 4th consecutive clean sheet In pre season .

Walters is definitely tempting. I imagine he's still on penos, and he's very much a Mark Hughes type of player. after GW1 Stoke have a fairly kind run of fixtures for a good while after

referencing this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056844948&page=3

I thought yesterday was kind of ominous for my team considering that Walters and Wilson were big parts of it last season. Wilson actually looked the part at DM but N'Zonzi is a step up there.

If I was to be investing in a Stoke player at all it would be Adam. They will need him playing well if they're to score any FPL points really.

If they can get a poacher from somewhere, he could be massive value.

• Advertisement

referencing this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056844948&page=3

I thought yesterday was kind of ominous for my team considering that Walters and Wilson were big parts of it last season. Wilson actually looked the part at DM but N'Zonzi is a step up there.

If I was to be investing in a Stoke player at all it would be Adam. They will need him playing well if they're to score any FPL points really.

If they can get a poacher from somewhere, he could be massive value.

If he got anywhere near his Blackpool form he'd be a huge asset. That entails building the team around him though.

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Think I read that was Stoke 4th consecutive clean sheet In pre season .

Hughes. Another manager whose teams are good for clean sheets.

His teams will play football but it'll be built on keeping clean sheets.

If he got anywhere near his Blackpool form he'd be a huge asset. That entails building the team around him though.

He picks up ALOT of yellow cards though. I'd definitely pick Walters over Adam. Walters is the definition of solid

He picks up ALOT of yellow cards though. I'd definitely pick Walters over Adam. Walters is the definition of solid

If Adam was utilised like he was at Blackpool though, he's on corners and free kicks. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Is Walters still on Stoke penos? He missed a couple last year, including two in the one game, think it was against City.

If Adam was utilised like he was at Blackpool though, he's on corners and free kicks. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Is Walters still on Stoke penos? He missed a couple last year, including two in the one game, think it was against City.

Oh yeah who can forget that. I'd say he's still on them, but we won't know for sure til they get one. Walters will get more goals, Adam more assists, that's the way i see it. Overall would fancy Walters to come out on top, i just don't trust Charlie Adam at all (he had that one very good season, but since then he's been fairly mediocre)

Adam was on dead balls yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

Oh yeah who can forget that. I'd say he's still on them, but we won't know for sure til they get one. Walters will get more goals, Adam more assists, that's the way i see it. Overall would fancy Walters to come out on top, i just don't trust Charlie Adam at all (he had that one very good season, but since then he's been fairly mediocre)

Nobody has mentioned Crouch for 6m as a third striker. Granted he won't be near my team, I have 3 fairly expensive strikers at the moment but if anyone is going with a cheap 3rd striker, surely Crouch is as good a bet as Rodriguez, who is also 6m, given that Anelka at 5.5 is not nailed on. Only if Stoke don't sign another striker that is.

Stoke don't score goals. Walters was their highest goalscorer last year with 8 goals, followed by Crouch with 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

roryc wrote: »
    Stoke don't score goals. Walters was their highest goalscorer last year with 8 goals, followed by Crouch with 7.

I know they don't exactly set the world alight and I won't have him but in terms of sub 7m strikers, it's slim pickings. Crouch was the 'highest' scoring striker for less than 7m last year. The more mentioned Rodriguez, Hooper, Bent (if he moves), Anelka and Long are the cheapie alternatives I guess. None of them, bar Anelka if he is 1st 11 most of the time, stir confidence really.

roryc wrote: »

Stoke under Pulis didn't score goals.

New manager. New tactics.

Pulis was dispensed of because of his negative tactics. Hughes brought in to try and play football. As Emmet said above, he's already trying that.

Strikers like Bellamy, Santa Cruz and Zamora have flourished under Hughes before. Crouch may be the same, particularly if Adam gets back to providing the quality of set piece he did at Blackpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

zaha played today. is he worth a punt at 6.5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    zaha played today. is he worth a punt at 6.5?

depends on how many other punts you are going with(e.g dzeko, aspas, wolf etc) and how many chelsea players you select.

depends on how many other punts you are going with(e.g dzeko, aspas, wolf etc) and how many chelsea players you select.

Exactly this. I would try and limit yourself to 2 punts, preferably one in MF and one in attack. Even defenders aren't guaranteed spots but you should be able to find 5 that are nailed on.

So far I have Dzeko, Lukaku and possibly Terry/Hazard that are risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

4.5 Midfielders

Ross Barkley could be an option @ 4.5. Been starting a few games and with Fellaini likely to be at Old Trafford by the end of the month he could force his way into the midfield. He seems very much like a Martinez type player too.

Also a gamble but Jermaine Pennant hasn't been mentioned at all for the 4.5 spot. Presumably himself and Walters may be competing for RW but even if he came on for 20 minutes is more likely to pick up an assist than a Lucas or Tiote.

While I'm at it Karagounis is also @4.5 but whether he'll get the start at Fulham is touch and go.

Another and very much a wildcard is Guly Do Prado of Southampton who has featured a fair bit in pre-season and seems to nearly be a forward. Could start the first game if Ramirez isn't ready after international duty.

If Baines were also to leave somebody like Bryan Oveido could become very good value but certainly not at the moment.

Nothing to Stoke the fires here but Wilson Palacios seems to be in direct competition with Marc Wilson for a midfield spot. Most certainly better picks out there to begin with.

These are just a few names to add to our already spoken about options such as Thomas, Williams, Morrison, Lucas, Tiote, Tettey, Britton, Yacob and of course Colback.

A fit Thomas or a regular Morrison do seem like the best bets although if Barkley started playing would be a nice option to have even with Mirallas in a midfield. Pennant could be the best gamble from the rest if he got game-time under Hughes.

5.0 Midfielders

Hell lets go nuts and do some 5.0 midfielders. I'd imagine this will be a much longer list of options but maybe I'll come to some revelation that might help myself or somebody else.

It might work better going by club.

Villa: There are 2 options here in Tonev and Bacuna. An injury kept Tonev out until the last two matches of pre-season but since then Bacuna hasn't had a look in. Could be a handy option for the DGW if it wasn't an issue down the line in GW3.

Cardiff: Here we have a few more choices in Whittingham, Kim, Noone and even Gunnarrson with Medel still to be added. Whitts and Kim seem like the best options here in a decent looking Cardiff side but with a relatively tough start. Both have done well pre-season a toss up really.

Palace: Garvan is the only name to really stand out but Thomas is a better shout at 4.5 most likely.

Fulham: A few options here namely I'd look at Sidwell rather than Kacan... or Richardson who seems to be LB this year. Sidwell has gotten a few goals in pre-season and has popped up with a few last season too. 4 in fact, although he also had 2 red cards.

Hull: For most people Koren and Brady are plum picks for the 5.0 mid position and I don't need to do more than mention them.

Liverpool: Namely Joe Allen. Been playing the most advanced of a midfield 3 in pre-season but would be skeptical of that continuing for much longer.

Norwich: A few names to mention here in Nathan Redmond (where I already went into great depth about), Johnson and Howson. Johnson is a rugged midfield type and scored 2 goals at the weekend but there are better options. Would be a great 4.5 player same goes for Howson although he may see less gametime despite playing well towards the end of last season. If you have room for a punt here then I think Redmond could be a fantastic option.

There are a few others like Wanayama but I think these are the most interesting options. Redmond is my dark horse if he can get into the starting 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

5.0 Midfielders

Hell lets go nuts and do some 5.0 midfielders. I'd imagine this will be a much longer list of options but maybe I'll come to some revelation that might help myself or somebody else.

It might work better going by club.

Villa: There are 2 options here in Tonev and Bacuna. An injury kept Tonev out until the last two matches of pre-season but since then Bacuna hasn't had a look in. Could be a handy option for the DGW if it wasn't an issue down the line in GW3.

Cardiff: Here we have a few more choices in Whittingham, Kim, Noone and even Gunnarrson with Medel still to be added. Whitts and Kim seem like the best options here in a decent looking Cardiff side but with a relatively tough start. Both have done well pre-season a toss up really.

Palace: Garvan is the only name to really stand out but Thomas is a better shout at 4.5 most likely.

Fulham: A few options here namely I'd look at Sidwell rather than Kacan... or Richardson who seems to be LB this year. Sidwell has gotten a few goals in pre-season and has popped up with a few last season too. 4 in fact, although he also had 2 red cards.

Hull: For most people Koren and Brady are plum picks for the 5.0 mid position and I don't need to do more than mention them.

Liverpool: Namely Joe Allen. Been playing the most advanced of a midfield 3 in pre-season but would be skeptical of that continuing for much longer.

Norwich: A few names to mention here in Nathan Redmond (where I already went into great depth about), Johnson and Howson. Johnson is a rugged midfield type and scored 2 goals at the weekend but there are better options. Would be a great 4.5 player same goes for Howson although he may see less gametime despite playing well towards the end of last season. If you have room for a punt here then I think Redmond could be a fantastic option.

There are a few others like Wanayama but I think these are the most interesting options. Redmond is my dark horse if he can get into the starting 11.

Joe Allen is interesting for the sub option in midfield at 5.0 sa he has certainly been getting forward in preseason

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bodking

Russell Martin - Norwich

Any info thoughts ??

bodking wrote: »
    Russell Martin - Norwich

Any info thoughts ??

Think Turner is much better option and 0.5m cheaper .

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mc_hammered

i feel everybody ( irish anyway) who will be in my money leagues will have coleman. I play 3 in the back and have Luiz lescott and coleman. but i want shift him out. was looking at kolo apparently he is going to start the opener anyway but obvious not guaranteed a place.

jones or smalling will be right back at utd for a few weeks. can make another 0.5 to get smalling but again not a certain starter and 6m for jones is too much. Id prefer just do the swap for 5m.

dawson might have to do!!!

thoughts on a good shout for a coleman replacement? and no I dont want mickey turner staining my team sheet.

edit. my other 2 defenders are benched bums so its a case of a proven starter. points at end of season. i wont be rotating much.

nathan redmond scored for england under 21's tonight.

and robbie brady starting for ireland tomorrow so we'll get another look at him.

i feel everybody ( irish anyway) who will be in my money leagues will have coleman. I play 3 in the back and have Luiz lescott and coleman. but i want shift him out. was looking at kolo apparently he is going to start the opener anyway but obvious not guaranteed a place.

jones or smalling will be right back at utd for a few weeks. can make another 0.5 to get smalling but again not a certain starter and 6m for jones is too much. Id prefer just do the swap for 5m.

thoughts on a good shout for a coleman replacement? and no I dont want mickey turner staining my team sheet.

edit. my other 2 defenders are benched bums so its a case of a proven starter. points at end of season. i wont be rotating much.

rat west ham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

John Joe Shelvey anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

slingerz wrote: »

Have 5.5 for a MF and cant decide between him and Routledge

slingerz wrote: »

should definetly be under consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Beginning to wonder about Coleman as well, well more about Martinez.

Pieters at stoke or Rat might be options.

Ashley Williams would probably be my first choice except for fixtures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Shelvey is not playing as an AM for Swansea.

he's playing much further back, so be wary.

If Stoke pick up a few clean sheets early on, and I don't see why not even without Pulis then I'd anticipate a bandwagon on Pieters if he's starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

rat west ham

Ssssshhhh about this "Rat" fella :P I have him in me own team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Kagawa played full 90 minutes for Japan in Japan so i doubt he will be starting Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Kagawa played full 90 minutes for Japan in Japan so i doubt he will be starting Saturday.

that would give zaha a very good chance of starting that game then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

darego wrote: »
    that would give zaha a very good chance of starting that game then?

Hard to know really it's a tough place to go. He deserves to start but Moyes could go with experience of Giggs and Valencia although i hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Tom Huddlestone has signed for Hull for about 5million.
    He is capable of some goals and assists for 5.0 and should be a regular in their midfield. Can also take freekicks. I wonder does it take away some of the appeal of Koren? Jake Livermore also signed on loan and at 4.5 could be due regular games there for anyone interested in a 4.5 mid though i believe his attacking contribution will be very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

What you guys make of Tonev for Villa?

5m, supposed to be very attacking, although didn't score many goals for his previous club, gotta hattrick for Bulgaria back in March, albeit against Malta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Any word on Walcotts injury?

Any word on Walcotts injury?
    He's fine .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2395475/Arsene-Wenger-says-trolley-dash-Arsenal-want-quality-quantity.html
    Wenger said Theo Walcott would be fit for the season opener against Villa after the winger came off injured during the friendly with Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Fulham have signed Darren Bent on a season-long loan from Aston Villa.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/16/bent-signs-for-fulham

Makes things interesting for Berbatov owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Fulham have signed Darren Bent on a season-long loan from Aston Villa.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/august/16/bent-signs-for-fulham

Makes things interesting for Berbatov owners.

could be a good partnership. berbatov always seemed to work best off a striker who stayed in and around the box. if bent hits the form we all know he can could be a cheap option

Any news on whether Walcott is fit

Any news on whether Walcott is fit

yeah, you almost tripped over it :D

it's 2 or 3 comments up, he's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Ormus wrote: »
    What you guys make of Tonev for Villa?

5m, supposed to be very attacking, although didn't score many goals for his previous club, gotta hattrick for Bulgaria back in March, albeit against Malta.

Looks promising for the price if villa aren't as sh1te as last year.

www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3347540,00.html

Might be a nice unknown for the dgw starting off.

Hogey007 wrote: »
    yeah, you almost tripped over it :D

it's 2 or 3 comments up, he's fine.

whoops apologies!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement