Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player Watchlist

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

i said that a couple of weeks back and I think its becoming more likely by the day especially if they get willian. Its the only way I can see utd letting rooney go to chelsea as by getting mata there wont be a major backlash from the fans.

There's no way in hell Chelsea will let Mata go to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

SantryRed wrote: »
    There's no way in hell Chelsea will let Mata go to United.

Couldn't agree more. It has to be English tabloid bull. I'd have Mata in my team any day over Rooney, in FF or real life.

Rooney's career seems to be following a similar path to Michael Owen's. Meteoric rise followed by massive fall in his later years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lemlin wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. It has to be English tabloid bull. I'd have Mata in my team any day over Rooney, in FF or real life.

Rooney's career seems to be following a similar path to Michael Owen's. Meteoric rise followed by massive fall in his later years.

My opinion isnt based on tabloid bull. Its a gut feeling. Im looking at the situation and see that chelsea need a striker desperately, they have a few mata type players and it looks like now they are getting another one in willian. It seems that rooney wants out at united but united dont want to sell. Utd need a mata type player more than chelsea and chelsea need rooney more than utd do. I totally agree with you that mata is a far better player than rooney and have never bought into the english media hype of rooney being world class. Of course its a bit of a long shot but its the only way I can see Chelsea getting rooney which they seem desperate to want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Leroy Fer is available for Norwich this weekend. Not for transferring yet but worth keeping an eye on. He is physically strong, scored in pre-season and has notched up a few goals with the dutch team.

My opinion isnt based on tabloid bull. Its a gut feeling. Im looking at the situation and see that chelsea need a striker desperately, they have a few mata type players and it looks like now they are getting another one in willian. It seems that rooney wants out at united but united dont want to sell. Utd need a mata type player more than chelsea and chelsea need rooney more than utd do. I totally agree with you that mata is a far better player than rooney and have never bought into the english media hype of rooney being world class. Of course its a bit of a long shot but its the only way I can see Chelsea getting rooney which they seem desperate to want.

I dunno why Jose apparently sees Rooney as option A and Lewandowski as B or C.

Just get Lewandowski!

• Advertisement

Just get Lewandowski!

makes no sense to me either lewandowski all the way. Im sure rooney has told the likes of a cole and lampard he wants out of utd he is just going about it in a more subtle way then suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lewandowski only wants to move to Bayern. He's not interested in moving anywhere else .

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Lewandowski only wants to move to Bayern. He's not interested in moving anywhere else .

ye fair point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

people are seriously underestimating a motivated Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'd say Willian would be a fairly safe bet, obviously dependent on Bale leaving. Chadli and Lennon would become rotation risks.

I don't think Chadli will be too much of a rotation risk. Spurs were lacking an explosive winger all last season. They found him in Chadli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

SlickRic wrote: »

Absolutely and in the same way that the British media tend to overhype English players we on this side of the pond tend to be overly critical at times, the comparison to Owen is completley wide of the mark aswell, Owen's entire game was based on pace and a collection of injuries and father time robbed him of that, Rooney is not dependant on he's pace and has had no major injury problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

SlickRic wrote: »

couldn't agree more. exceptional player, I think we all hear so much about him from the English media that we just think "he's not as good as they make out" he is still a great player and has proven so over a number of seasons, that's always key to remember too, sometimes it's easy to have a good season but to do it consistently in such a top league is another thing.
    He's certainly not in the Ronaldo - Messi bracket and never will be but he's in the bracket below that, (probably nearer to the bottom of that bracket at the moment but still in it none the less)
    will be interesting to see how the likes of Suarez, Mata etc are doing in 6 or 7 years time. (that's no criticism of either player, it's a compliment, I highlighted them because they've been 2 of the stand out players in the premier league over the last 2 season's, just wonder will they be at the same level in 5 or 6 seasons time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Manchester City FC ‏@MCFC 2m
    KOMPANY INJURY UPDATE: Skipper set to be side-lined for at least a month: http://manc.it/1bZWhYf #mcfc

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

thinking of getting lukaku out and transfering in Cisse. Would this be madness? newcastle have decent fixtures to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

thinking of getting lukaku out and transfering in Cisse. Would this be madness? newcastle have decent fixtures to come

Decent fixtures, but it's Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Decent fixtures, but it's Newcastle.

+1

Absolutely and in the same way that the British media tend to overhype English players we on this side of the pond tend to be overly critical at times, the comparison to Owen is completley wide of the mark aswell, Owen's entire game was based on pace and a collection of injuries and father time robbed him of that, Rooney is not dependant on he's pace and has had no major injury problems.

Note that I compared their careers, not the way they play.

Rooney's career has not turned out as people would have expected when he was younger and got the big move to United. Just like Owen.

In terms of FF, the only time I've seen Rooney as a worthwhile addition was two years ago when he started the season well. He ended it with a whimper not scoring after February though iirc.

He has always had better players available even in his own team bar that season e.g. Ronaldo and now RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Note that I compared their careers, not the way they play.

Rooney's career has not turned out as people would have expected when he was younger and got the big move to United. Just like Owen.

We are going way off topic here but sorry there career paths are nothing alike at all, Owen was finished at 25, Rooney is still playing to a very high standard at 27 years old and infact he's career goal scoring stats are actually better than Owens which is amazing considering Rooney isn't even an out and out striker.

I just think Rooney is vastly underrated in Ireland, the reasons for which I can see but when you just look at it iin simple footballing terms he's a super talent and the fact that Mourinho and Wenger - two of the shrewdest Managers in World football - are keen to sign him says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Just get Lewandowski!

It weakens United, a direct rival.

It strengthens Chelsea.

Rooney can play in a #10 role, or as a lone striker up front equally as effectively, and offers more flexibility than Lewandowski.

Rooney is proven in the BPL over many, many years.

I have no idea how you can compare the careers of Rooney & Owen. Rooney has been at the same club for 9 years now, winning the BPL multiple times. Owen moved around from Liverpool to Real Madrid, to Newcastle, to United, to Stoke. He didn't win the BPL until he was a bit part (at best) sub at United. He hasn't won the CL. He has had a fraction of success and has bounced around from club to club and spent a lot of time on the bench or injured. Basically, the exact opposite of Rooney's career to date.

Their careers couldn't really be more different imho.

Also, you are seriously underestimating how good a fully fit and motivated Wayne Rooney could be, with Mourinho at the helm.

Apologies for going off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What's the story with Rat, why didn't he play last weekend?

• Advertisement

v3ttel wrote: »
    It weakens United, a direct rival.

It strengthens Chelsea.

Rooney can play in a #10 role, or as a lone striker up front equally as effectively, and offers more flexibility than Lewandowski.

Rooney is proven in the BPL over many, many years.

I have no idea how you can compare the careers of Rooney & Owen. Rooney has been at the same club for 9 years now, winning the BPL multiple times. Owen moved around from Liverpool to Real Madrid, to Newcastle, to United, to Stoke. He didn't win the BPL until he was a bit part (at best) sub at United. He hasn't won the CL. He has had a fraction of success and has bounced around from club to club and spent a lot of time on the bench or injured. Basically, the exact opposite of Rooney's career to date.

Their careers couldn't really be more different imho.

Also, you are seriously underestimating how good a fully fit and motivated Wayne Rooney could be, with Mourinho at the helm.

Apologies for going off topic.

Going off topic is why I made the FF point. For me, Rooney hasn't fully fulfilled the potential he had.

When Ronaldo left United, people said he would rise to the fore but he hasn't IMO. Otherwise, he wouldn't basically be backup to another striker at United when he should be reaching his prime. He didn't even start probably the biggest game of United's season against Madrid last year.

Bringing it back to FF, bar that half a decent season he had he has always been overpriced and better options have been available, usually even in his own team.

I've done considerably well at this game (3 top 12k finishes the last 3 years) and for the seven years I've been playing the game I've rarely had him in my team for any considerable period of time.

I don't think Chelsea need a player with versatility either. They have enough of that in their numerous mids. They need the top notch striker they thought Torres would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

What's the story with Rat, why didn't he play last weekend?

Lack of match fitness I would imagine?

Puncheon straight into the palace side. Will be interesting to see where he plays and how he gets on.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Lack of match fitness I would imagine?

Didnt play again today.. arghh.

chamakh is another one i'll have my eye on as a replacement for anelka, nice and cheap.
    i mentioned it somewhere in this thread that he rotates prefectly with brady of hull for the 38 matches.

so far i'm thinking Darren Bent, Chamakh, or maybe splashing a little bit more and getting Van Wolfswinkel. the attraction to chamakh though is that with the money i'd save i could spend it nicely in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Is Ward-Prowse this season's Puncheon? 4.5m, 90 minutes in the first two games and got an assist today with 2 BPs to come. More of an attacking threat than Barkley imo, and may go under the radar a little bit more at the start unlike Barkley whom everybody flocked to after his goal last week.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Is Ward-Prowse this season's Puncheon? 4.5m, 90 minutes in the first two games and got an assist today with 2 BPs to come. More of an attacking threat than Barkley imo, and may go under the radar a little bit more at the start unlike Barkley whom everybody flocked to after his goal last week.

Definitely keeping an eye on him. That brings him to 9 points over two games.

Have Medel at the moment as my fifth sub. Would nice to save that 0.5 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Danger781 wrote: »
    Definitely keeping an eye on him. That brings him to 9 points over two games.

Have Medel at the moment as my fifth sub. Would nice to save that 0.5 ;)

Medel isn't a FF player. His disciplinary record alone should be enough to deter you (very good player all the same).

Medel isn't a FF player. His disciplinary record alone should be enough to deter you (very good player all the same).

He's my fifth choice. I picked him based on the fact that he is almost guaranteed to play. Didn't do enough research because I didn't care too much about my fifth mid. :P

• Advertisement

Didnt play again today.. arghh.

nightmare I fancied a west ham defender for the first 3 wks. Unfortunately I picked the wrong one the RAT has dropped to 4.9 to make it worse.

nightmare I fancied a west ham defender for the first 3 wks. Unfortunately I picked the wrong one the RAT has dropped to 4.9 to make it worse.

I'm holding on to him for one more week, then gone gone.

I'm holding on to him for one more week, then gone gone.

same here gone when I wildcard

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

He started the first few games last season too and then seemed to disappear. It crossed my mind today but they have to fit Osvaldo and Ramirez into the team so his stay in the starting XI will be short lived I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Anyone think Sinclair be worth getting in at 6 million? Was thinking of getting hazard and Anelka out for him and Sturridge next week. Worth doing? It will be for a 4 point hit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Luke Daniels is only 4 and might be Ben Fosters replacement for a while if his ankle injury is serious. Myhill is also injured btw

• Advertisement

martin101 wrote: »
    Anyone think Sinclair be worth getting in at 6 million? Was thinking of getting hazard and Anelka out for him and Sturridge next week. Worth doing? It will be for a 4 point hit

I'd wait until Sinclair beds in tbh. He will have to be eased in I'd think as he played virtually no football at City last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Do ye think Jose will rotate much? Looking at midfield especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Telegraph reporting that Chelsea have signed Eto'o as part of the Willian deal. Source below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10264473/Chelsea-seal-deal-for-Samuel-Etoo-as-Jose-Mourinho-decides-to-wait-for-Manchester-Uniteds-Wayne-Rooney.html

Always been a huge fan of Eto'o, and with Chelsea's lack of clinical striking options (it seems Jose thinks Lukuaku is a bit too inexperienced for that level at present) he should play a lot.

He had 53 goals and 22 assists at Inter and carried his good form to Russia with 36 goals and 14 assists in 71 games.

I wonder what he'll be priced at? Any thoughts? I think he could be a good option though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

Eto is 32 now, imagine he'd come in at 9.5-10M.
    What has he left in playing time 2-3yrs maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jolim24601

S. Cazorla was excellent for Arsenal against Fulham. Had an assist and was the central fulcrum to every good play they had. He'll have a 200+ point season I reckon and is an inevitable buy for me. Walcott not looking sharp yet; Podolski my biased favorite but won't get the proper attention he deserves. If it looks like he'll be a nailed starter he's a definite buy for me. Giroud's goal was lucky which is not a surprise to me-he lacks the strength and pace of a solid striker option, I think he really got away with that first touch there. I have him in my team atm but I don't like him in my team. Arsenal defenders not an optimal choice yet but once the team shapes up and the bp-trends are more clear they'll be something to look at.

Oscar might supplant Mata as Mourinho has big plans for him to score goals. However Oscar is not in good form yet and so will have to wait on that one, even tho it's looking like he'll go up in price sooner than that. Mata on the flank looking like he'll have a season score similar to before he was a #10 last year. Perhaps there will be a tactical change later in the season forced by Mourinho's acceptance of the reality that Chelsea need Mata in the hole to create chances and score goals. Man Utd vs Chelsea will be interesting to watch and see how Mourinho shapes his team.

Benteke looking like an absolute-must, also @4.5 I really like the Aston Villa defenders; I think Aston Villa will have their best season yet, just a really well-meshed team overall with a lively look about them.

Bent looks like a great cut-price option but he looks a bit haggard to last the full 90 week in and week out. I'm staying away from Fulham for now, and also, very very far away from Sunderland. They were horrendous today. Giaccherini the only positive for them.

Liverpool dominating so far, looking like top-4 contenders, and they don't even have Suarez playing yet. Happy with Mignolet as my keeper, looking to maybe add Sturridge in to the mix after their game against Man Utd, looking at a very smooth road ahead in terms of fixtures. Coutinho I'm staying away from, @9.0 way too expensive but he's a solid contributor, just lacks strength and penetration to haul in the points. Glen Johnson is a biased favorite as I think he's quality, but so far not looking like a better option than Toure or Mignolet.

Keeping a close eye on Paulinho v. Swansea, he scored a goal in the EL and I think will be a key playmaker for them esp. with Bale gone. Michu not as explosive as last season but will start scoring soon I hope.

Also looks like West Ham will be very strong at home but weak away. Nolan/Cole/Noble decent options to rotate.

Lambert still an excellent choice but will have his off days like today. Southampton players are difficult to choose because they get contributions all around, excellent team-players. @4.5 Fonte is looking like a STEAL.

Keeping my 3 Man City players (Aguero, Dzeko, and Y. Toure) until either Aguero or Dzeko look like they'll be rotated. Have similar feelings to Dzeko as with Giroud. Zabaleta already rising and looking like a season-long pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

jolim24601 wrote: »
    S. Cazorla was excellent for Arsenal against Fulham. Had an assist and was the central fulcrum to every good play they had. He'll have a 200+ point season I reckon and is an inevitable buy for me. Walcott not looking sharp yet; Podolski my biased favorite but won't get the proper attention he deserves. If it looks like he'll be a nailed starter he's a definite buy for me. Giroud's goal was lucky which is not a surprise to me-he lacks the strength and pace of a solid striker option, I think he really got away with that first touch there. I have him in my team atm but I don't like him in my team. Arsenal defenders not an optimal choice yet but once the team shapes up and the bp-trends are more clear they'll be something to look at.

I only saw the match of the day highlights and they painted a very different picture of the respective merits of Walcott and Santi, Walcott appeared central to all of Arsenals attacks and seemed very unlucky not to rack up a good few points, his play on the break seemed very dynamic even in the dreadful first half conditions, if he stays injury free I could see him comfortably outscoring his colleague who does most of his good work in a supporting role, I think Santi could lead the league in assisting the assistor.

I think Benteke will be this years Demba Ba, no way is he a must have, I saw the whole game yesterday and wasn't too impressed with him, Mignolet made a few saves from him but nothing that would have troubled a junior goalkeeper.

What do you think of RVP this year Jolim, I'm staying well clear for the moment but he still has lots of supporters on here, I'd be interested to hear what you think as you were the main anti-man last year.

I only saw the match of the day highlights and they painted a very different picture of the respective merits of Walcott and Santi, Walcott appeared central to all of Arsenals attacks and seemed very unlucky not to rack up a good few points, his play on the break seemed very dynamic even in the dreadful first half conditions, if he stays injury free I could see him comfortably outscoring his colleague who does most of his good work in a supporting role, I think Santi could lead the league in assisting the assistor.

I think Benteke will be this years Demba Ba, no way is he a must have, I saw the whole game yesterday and wasn't too impressed with him, Mignolet made a few saves from him but nothing that would have troubled a junior goalkeeper.

What do you think of RVP this year Jolim, I'm staying well clear for the moment but he still has lots of supporters on here, I'd be interested to hear what you think as you were the main anti-man last year.

couldnt agree more about walcott he had a number of shots on goal and was involved in a few potential assists going by motd. Its only a matter of time before he gets a big points haul. I think barring injury he will be the highest midfield points scorer this year.

couldnt agree more about walcott he had a number of shots on goal and was involved in a few potential assists going by motd. Its only a matter of time before he gets a big points haul. I think barring injury he will be the highest midfield points scorer this year.

absolutely, walcott was excellent yesterday and unlucky to only get 5 points.
    having watched Liverpool and everton yesterday too i'd say to anyone with coutiniho and mirallas to keep them, as with the stoke game, everything liverpool did good came through coutiniho, i know it can be frustrating having a 9 million player not getting big points but it's only 2 weeks in, give him a few weeks, the points will come if he keeps playing like that, it'd be a concern if if he wasn't scroing big and wasn't playing well. i will more than likely be getting him in on my wildcard and i'm glad he hasn't scored big yet as it's stopped his price from rising. moving away from fantasy football for a second, what a great bit of business liverpool did getting him for 8 or 9 million.

The same with mirallas, i watched the full match yesterday and he was very involved, forced a briliant save from foster, on another day he would have been walking away with a bigger points haul.
    so for those 3 players, absolutley nothing to worry about if you have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I wouldn't read too much into Benteke's game against Liverpool. It was his, and Villa's, 3rd tough game in a week, and Lambert said after the game that the lads were very tired. Despite this Villa played very well in the second half but just couldn't score. I think over the season Benteke will do some serious damage.

I'll be keeping Benteke and benching him next week. Then Villa have 3 OK fixtures out of 4 (New, Nor, ManC, Hull) and I'd expect him to score a few in that run.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jolim24601

Last season I was doing fine in my leagues without RVP, rising up to top 40 in the boards league, but eventually I got burned by not having Suarez later on. There's too many quality EPL players to say that he is a must, and for cover there are decent options: Rooney, Welbeck, or Kagawa, assuming Rooney even stays. Welbeck might be as good as Sturridge this year, and I would think Kagawa is looking for a 10+ goal, injury-free season. The few strikes he made when he wasn't injured last season were pure quality.

It will take more skill anticipating players' form and who will get hot without RVP, but it's more fun that way for me. I prefer playing players that I like to watch, and with RVP, it wouldn't nearly be as fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

Marc Wilson caught the eye over the weekend. Playing centre mid for Stoke as a defender in the game and only 4.5. Might be a bit of a gamble in terms of a guaranteed starter but it's a cheap way into Stokes defense. They have a tough few games coming up so I would probably hold off for a few weeks.

Ice87 wrote: »
    Marc Wilson caught the eye over the weekend. Playing centre mid for Stoke as a defender in the game and only 4.5. Might be a bit of a gamble in terms of a guaranteed starter but it's a cheap way into Stokes defense. They have a tough few games coming up so I would probably hold off for a few weeks.

Worried that Palacios will walk straight back into the team.

Wilson is a good footballer, and a better midfielder than left full. Encouraging to see him start over Whelan anyway.

As a cheap route into a previously solid defence, and playing OOP (even if only as a DM) he's certainly on the radar. Will be watching Palacios like a hawk though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

As a cheap route into a previously solid defence, and playing OOP (even if only as a DM) he's certainly on the radar. Will be watching Palacios like a hawk though.

You have to wonder if OOP is even a good thing anymore with him less likely to get the clean sheet bonus points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

You have to wonder if OOP is even a good thing anymore with him less likely to get the clean sheet bonus points.

He'd still get the clean sheet bp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Anybody planning to get in Suarez when he becomes available?

I think he could be playing for a transfer this year and could put away a serious goal tally

• Advertisement
Advertisement